Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How Often Do You Use Your Flashlight?

N_N_R · 39 · 1972

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
How Often Do You Use Your Flashlight?
on: June 22, 2015, 08:53:00 PM
Since that's a tool forum, I figured I'd ask how often and what FOR you use your flashlights  :D

I use mine on a daily basis, can't imagine life without them  :ahhh

I use them to light up the room at night (usually one tailstanding light of 30 lumens does it)

I use them as night lamps in/around bed, too.

And that's it. I don't have any use for them outside home, but since I spend a lot of time at home, I do use them.

You?  :pok:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: How Often Do You Use Your Flashlight?
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 09:08:54 PM
The flashlight is my most used tool by far. I use it many times throughout the day and night every single day. Even during the day a flashlight is needed. I get a lot of rocks stuck in the tread of my tires on my car and the gap between my wheel well and wheel is so small that even in the sun of the day you cannot see. It gets used for that almost daily. Looking behind or in cabinets. Checking my dogs skin daily (shes got allergies). I use a flashlight daily for walking the dog. Scaring the crack heads away from my house and just keeping a eye on things at night. The Fenix LD41 and its 680 lumens does this very well.  :tu: Not to mention the 1000's of other random times you need a bit of light that is not a daily occurrence. I have different size/power lights for different situations. I don't know how I could get along without a flashlight.

On a side note. I am reading that book about a EMP attack and it got me thinking about flashlights. All the newer style lights would be toast (unless you had a faraday cage) since they have complicated electronics. I was looking at the workings of the vintage Duracell Durabeam's I have and there is absolutely no electronics. Just two batteries and metal pieces so it would be safe. Just something I was thinking about. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:10:51 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 09:15:17 PM
My lights get used every single day at work.  I do shipping and recieving for a moving company, so I'm constantly out and about in the warehouse looking for tags, boxes, etc.  Today the  lights on one of our forklifts weren't working, so I used the E05 on my keys to help me see what I was doing inside a container. :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 09:19:43 PM
@Captain,
I coudn't agree more! I'm not sure how I was managing life without a life four years ago, lol. I also use mine when I search for stuff in cabinets, very helpful when it's rather sunny in the room.

@devil, is your E05 one of the new versions or the old one?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 09:23:12 PM
Use mine possibly a few times a week to check something inside or outside the house at night (30Lm is plenty for inside).
I also use the more powefull ones for fun, so as to annoy the neighbours....

Jersey, you changed job? All the best. I just noticed that from your post.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 09:31:24 PM
ONLY a few times a week? ? ? :ahhh

no Offline Grathr

Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 09:46:39 PM
In summer: hardly at all.
Its light outside here almost 24/7 in summer.

In the fall/winter/spring:
Pretty much daily.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 10:03:15 PM
My edc-flashlight? Next to never. But when i need it, it´s very usefull.

The flashlights in my toolcarts ..... regulary, to see details/conditions inside machines.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 08:39:19 AM
I rely on a "flashlight" daily to do my job, well to make my job easier in most cases.

I'm a sparky and often in switch boards that have dark corners, in roof spaces, checking equipment and machinery.

I do a day / afternoon shift rotation so I use it if I need to go outside at night to check pumps or look for spare parts in the graveyard. Many things. For me it's something I can't afford to be without.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 09:02:41 AM
My flashlight usage is approaching zero.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 10:36:53 AM
Well. One thing's sure - if I'm not using them, I'm playing with them :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 10:51:29 AM
I use them every day/night.

At work, in the gge, walking the dog, checking the kids, looking for monsters under the bed etc etc.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 11:02:26 AM
I use my Fenix LD12 on the 30 lumen setting everyday at work. It's a good level of brightness for working on cars, I generally chew through 2 or 3 batteries a week, good thing my work supplies me with AA batteries so I never need to pay :D
darren

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 11:15:37 AM
Re-reading that post.

Since that's a tool forum, I figured I'd ask how often and what FOR you use your flashlights  :D

I use mine on a daily basis, can't imagine life without them  :ahhh

I use them to light up the room at night (usually one tailstanding light of 30 lumens does it)

I use them as night lamps in/around bed, too.

And that's it. I don't have any use for them outside home, but since I spend a lot of time at home, I do use them.

You?  :pok:
I never use mine at home, I like the dark.
As a kid I had a recurring dream of going blind. So I started to prepare for it, blindfolding myself. Of course the dreams stopped once I got glasses, still funny how the subconscious mind works. What remained is, that I still like doing stuff by touch, it suits my personality having to do things slow and methodical.

I think the flashlight is one of the things I more lend someone (my fiancee), than use myself.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 11:36:32 AM
I use my Fenix LD12 on the 30 lumen setting everyday at work. It's a good level of brightness for working on cars, I generally chew through 2 or 3 batteries a week, good thing my work supplies me with AA batteries so I never need to pay :D

I also use my LD12 on its 30-lumen setting to light up the room for hours on end at night  :tu:

As a kid I had a recurring dream of going blind. So I started to prepare for it, blindfolding myself. Of course the dreams stopped once I got glasses, still funny how the subconscious mind works. What remained is, that I still like doing stuff by touch, it suits my personality having to do things slow and methodical.

This sounds creepy  :ahhh

I think I started using and buying lights more after the earthquake that hit us here 3 years ago. It was at 3 am and everything including you shaking in the bed in the dark wasn't really that nice an experience. So I don't wanna end up in the same situation IN the dark again. It's far less scary when you see what's going on around you x-)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 01:49:17 PM
This sounds creepy  :ahhh
Not creepy its fascinating. Did you know that you can't walk in a straight line with you eyes closed (blindfolded) or on a foggy day?

It has been implied that the Coriolis Effect might be the cause, but I think its been dis-proven.

Video

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 01:52:49 PM
Not quite daily, but several times a week.  However, if I use it once then I tend to use it lots the same day - inspecting parts at work, or grubbing around under the bench for dropped screws and washers in the shed.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 01:54:07 PM
Interesting.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 02:16:14 PM
I use an EDC light several times a day.  A light is my second most coveted EDC item, surpassed by only my phone.  Which can also serve as a light in an emergency.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 04:06:32 PM
Light is something that when you need it boy do you need it.  I use mine several times per day as well.  I use mine to light the garage at home and when taking my dog out for a potty break.  I've also used it at restaurants to see the menu and when looking into my truck for dropped items. 

Having a light when walking out the door is a must for me even tho the days are longer.  When winter is here and I'm hunting for treasure at the night fleamarket a light is mandatory.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 04:43:03 PM
Mine gets used almost daily, though it's carried anytime I have pants on.  No real exciting uses though, mainly to look for toys under the couch, digging through my dark closet, or checking on the house before bed.  Last night, I used it to see which animal was crawling around on my deck last night (possum this time).

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 03:20:18 PM
Almost every day.  Kind of like carrying a pocket knife, you can mostly get through life without it, but once you have it and use it frequently, you realize just how useful it is.  You can usually rip through boxes and wrappers, but with a knife it's just easier.  Same with having a light to look into dark corners, check around the house at night, or peek into the baby's room (I never thought those sub-lumen modes would be useful for much — oh man was I wrong).  My first modern light was a Maglite AA LED, and my most recent is a ZebraLight SC62.  Huge difference between those lights, but the Maglite still lives in my car and gets used.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 03:30:36 PM
only once in a while,  but when I need it,  it makes up for all those days I carry it and do not use it.
If I can help, let me know 

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 03:32:43 PM
Yeah, you're totally right!

I could always find a kitchen knife or scissors if I needed to cut something, but it's so much quicker when you have one on you :) Same with lights. It's a lot faster to have a light on you instead of going to the actual switch for the lights.

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 04:13:07 PM
I could always find a kitchen knife or scissors if I needed to cut something, but it's so much quicker when you have one on you :) Same with lights. It's a lot faster to have a light on you instead of going to the actual switch for the lights.

Inside my house i carry nothing, no knife/light/MT, on me - there it is enough for me to know where they are if needed.

Light and MT are only on my belt when i leave the house.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #25 on: July 02, 2015, 04:14:34 PM
I only ever use mine if it's dark, or if it's light but the light isn't going where I need to see  :whistle:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #26 on: July 02, 2015, 04:16:09 PM
Multiple times daily....but I'm not gettin' old, there's just not enough extremely bright lights in this house......   :whistle:

No really....

Really, I'm not making this up....

I'm not getting old!!!!!!!!!! :ahhh
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 03:38:38 AM
I use mine when I leave work every day during Winter, not to see where I am going generally, but to make sure I don't step in dogsmurf.  >:(

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #28 on: July 03, 2015, 03:57:28 AM
3-4 time a week. Usually to find something I dropped under my desk, either at home or at work. Always on Wensdays and Fridays at work- thats when the cleaning staff comes in, and it's embarrasing to have them find sunflower seed hulls that got away from me.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: July 03, 2015, 09:00:15 AM
I use one every single day for various tasks. Given it is winter here too it is more dark than light.

Fenix E05 on my keys, and on my car key a knock off of the Streamlight Nano from one of the Outdoor mobs here in Aus.
Pelican 1910 in my work coat with LED Lenser P2 in my Surge Sheath. I had a LED Lenser M7 (I think) in my drawer at work but someone decided they wanted it more than me (I'd be more upset if I'd paid for it myself and not work...) I changed the mode so it only used low and high, didn't need all the strobe and SOS.
Olight i3s in Blue on my bedside table, as well as another E05, and another one in Stainless.

Put the bins out last night, used the Olight on the peak of my cap as a head torch.  :2tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%