Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]

Aloha · 911 · 32894

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]
on: June 23, 2015, 07:03:45 AM
I caught the first episode interesting concept of guys left alone to film and survive for up to a year.  The last man standing gets  1/2 million. 

I edited so I don't spoil it for others.     
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 04:09:19 PM by zoidberg »
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Anyone watch the tv show Alone?
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 07:19:43 AM
Is it worth me looking it up later or should I not bother?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 07:57:56 AM
Interesting concept vs all the other "survival" shows. 
http://www.history.com/shows/alone

The first episode was lack luster IMO but I'm hoping to see a couple of the other guys "step up" and show what they got. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 08:17:20 AM
I saw some ads on TV, hoping to watch it soon. I think it starts this week in Oz? Or maybe next week?
darren

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 10:41:24 AM
Considering that I've had a few spirited talks with Mitch who was a participant on the show, I'm gonna watch it. I think we're still early in the show with too many people and all are simply rehashing the same thing that they could have picked up from any number of other shows. When it thins out, I have a feeling we will get more interested in the participants
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 10:52:34 AM
I just checked, it starts here tomorrow!
darren

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 12:03:30 PM
Just heard of it today. The concept sounds good, lets see how it works out.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 04:24:01 PM
Considering that I've had a few spirited talks with Mitch who was a participant on the show, I'm gonna watch it. I think we're still early in the show with too many people and all are simply rehashing the same thing that they could have picked up from any number of other shows. When it thins out, I have a feeling we will get more interested in the participants

I agree we're still early in the show.  I think they chose a pretty rough spot for them however there are a lot of resources. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 04:34:18 PM
And considering they are allowed only 10 items which seem to be from a pretty limited list it does make for an interesting viewing. Although given the nature of those items, I can't escape the feeling of producers forcing their rating oriented views.

A simple example would be the basic tarp vs something like a single wall tarp tent (Mountainsmith mountain shelter LT is a fine example)

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 04:38:28 PM
I also noticed some had "rations" as an item.  I wonder if they had a list ( producer compiled ) to choose from since most everyone had the same or very similar items.  I thought Mitch had a good attitude day one. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 06:29:55 PM
That would be my guess.

Another thing I've noticed is that most guys are closer to their 40s than their 30s. At 34 Mitch is the third youngest.

I really think that it won't be the inability to survive but the emotional drain that will get 'em. It's one thing for someone like me to just pick up and go, it's another for someone with a family to spend prolonged time without them, especially when kids are involved

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 06:46:06 PM
That would be my guess.

Another thing I've noticed is that most guys are closer to their 40s than their 30s. At 34 Mitch is the third youngest.

I really think that it won't be the inability to survive but the emotional drain that will get 'em. It's one thing for someone like me to just pick up and go, it's another for someone with a family to spend prolonged time without them, especially when kids are involved

Yeah, they've got that advantage over you...

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 01:18:42 AM
I totally agree once the more skilled get into a rhythm it will be survival of the mind.  It can get lonely when you miss your family especially when alone.  I have spent many days alone and while I'm suited to that type situation I'd probably have some rough patches. 

Mitch has a good attitude, I also like that young guy who was howling.  That big man Chris also seemed to have a good head on his shoulders and great attitude.  Some of those guys left young families behind which will be a big factor should they get further into this. 

Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 09:59:03 AM
Well if Survivorman taught us anything is that you gotta crack a few jokes because it's all in the head

nz Offline Henry

Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 05:59:36 AM
I just got the first episode, and am excited to watch it. I lived in BC for 3 years, spent a lot of time in the mountains and overnighted in some remote areas. It truly is an amazing place.

Fingers crossed they don't just sensationalise it for TV!
Surge, Wave, Rebar, Micra, C33x

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 06:23:12 AM
I just got the first episode, and am excited to watch it. I lived in BC for 3 years, spent a lot of time in the mountains and overnighted in some remote areas. It truly is an amazing place.

Fingers crossed they don't just sensationalise it for TV!

So tell us, any bear encounters? Or Coyote/Puma encounters? 

Esse Quam Videri

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 10:34:16 AM
I watched the first episode last night! Will be interesting to see how long they last!
darren

hr Offline styx

Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 10:56:57 AM
I watched the first episode last night! Will be interesting to see how long they last!

Ture, but somehow it was easy to tell who'll be the first guy to tap out

nz Offline Henry

Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 11:14:27 AM
I encountered black bears on an almost daily basis in the summer months. A lot of people who don't live in bear country don't seem to understand the huge differences in behaviour between black bears and grizzlys, and from the first episode my fears of sensationalisation were definitely confirmed! Announce yourself and don't surprise them and they will back off.

I know there was a black bear death last year up in the oil fields, but it was the first in 20 or so years.

I think I'll watch it, but it's definitely going to be frustrating. For example the 'I work in law enforcement so I'm used to humans acting like wild animals, this will be no problem' attitude.

Id also be interested to see the list they chose their 10items from (from the similarities, it looks like it was fairly limited). Would be fun to pick your own 10.
Surge, Wave, Rebar, Micra, C33x

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 11:23:33 AM

Yeah, I could see it from the start, It's pretty annoying that somebody else missed out on a chance because that guy was way under prepared for the challenge.
darren

hr Offline styx

Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 12:11:06 PM

Yeah, I could see it from the start, It's pretty annoying that somebody else missed out on a chance because that guy was way under prepared for the challenge.

I agree. On the other hand maybe we can tell from the get go but can the producers tell that as well? And why can we say that - is it because we are observing something that has been carefully edited, is it some sense developed trough experience or perhaps an instinct that goes back to more primal times of human history, or simply our own arrogance? How hard is it to tell and what are the realistic qualifications that people were expected to meet?
For instance there are some online "courses" that have a very preachy crowd behind it but when you really look at it in it's core, you don't have to leave your back yard to advance to the intermediate level. So while the idea is great, it's lack or refinement leaves room for simply faking it.

On the other hand I've found 3 of the contestants on Youtube and they have very sensible content on there. But again, can your run of the mill producer really tell that considering the vast number of reality wilderness and or redneck shows that are on today?

In other regards here is Wayne Russell's explanation of his 10 items:

1) 12×12 ground sheet
2) 550 paracord – 20m
3) Saw
4) Axe
5) Sleeping bag
6) large 2 quart pot
7) Ferro rod
8) 300 yards of single filament fishing line and 25 assorted hooks
9) knife
10) Leatherman multi tool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYjQEARnSVk

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 12:19:41 PM

I agree. On the other hand maybe we can tell from the get go but can the producers tell that as well? And why can we say that - is it because we are observing something that has been carefully edited, is it some sense developed trough experience or perhaps an instinct that goes back to more primal times of human history, or simply our own arrogance? How hard is it to tell and what are the realistic qualifications that people were expected to meet?
For instance there are some online "courses" that have a very preachy crowd behind it but when you really look at it in it's core, you don't have to leave your back yard to advance to the intermediate level. So while the idea is great, it's lack or refinement leaves room for simply faking it.

On the other hand I've found 3 of the contestants on Youtube and they have very sensible content on there. But again, can your run of the mill producer really tell that considering the vast number of reality wilderness and or redneck shows that are on today?

1) 12×12 ground sheet
2) 550 paracord – 20m
3) Saw
4) Axe
5) Sleeping bag
6) large 2 quart pot
7) Ferro rod
9) knife

You really liked item nº8, huh?...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #22 on: June 25, 2015, 12:43:31 PM
I have not watched this yet but it sounds interesting. I have seen Joe's channel. He seems to make good videos and knows what he is doing. Not sure how long he will last though. He has a very young family. And a cool dog too.

Nate
That's us mobile
Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline styx

Reply #23 on: June 25, 2015, 12:55:34 PM

1) 12×12 ground sheet
2) 550 paracord – 20m
3) Saw
4) Axe
5) Sleeping bag
6) large 2 quart pot
7) Ferro rod
9) knife

You really liked item nº8, huh?...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yep. Makes more sense for a show with kids than a box of dinamite, even though that makes fishing easier

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: June 25, 2015, 02:34:31 PM

1) 12×12 ground sheet
2) 550 paracord – 20m
3) Saw
4) Axe
5) Sleeping bag
6) large 2 quart pot
7) Ferro rod
9) knife

When the dude found the bear den 30 yards away from his camp and didn't move camp farther away, that is when I said to my wife "this guy is not gonna last it very long"

I agree the editing has everything to do with how the contestants are portrayed, and I don't claim to be an expert woodsman, but really, some common sense and fore thought wouldn't have gone a stray there...

darren

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 02:58:22 PM
I'm beginning to think these shows might be hazardous to common sense and society. I was talking to a guy who's really into Bear Grylls. Convincing him that he shouldn't be drinking his urine in case of emergency shouldn't be this hard.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 04:09:05 PM
I encountered black bears on an almost daily basis in the summer months. A lot of people who don't live in bear country don't seem to understand the huge differences in behaviour between black bears and grizzlys, and from the first episode my fears of sensationalisation were definitely confirmed! Announce yourself and don't surprise them and they will back off.

I know there was a black bear death last year up in the oil fields, but it was the first in 20 or so years.

I think I'll watch it, but it's definitely going to be frustrating. For example the 'I work in law enforcement so I'm used to humans acting like wild animals, this will be no problem' attitude.

Id also be interested to see the list they chose their 10items from (from the similarities, it looks like it was fairly limited). Would be fun to pick your own 10.

This tends to be the prevailing thought when in bear country, even grizzly. 

I'm with Daz on the choice on the shelter the guy chose.  He clearly saw an active bear den.  I certain these guys all had some kind of pre drop off "talk" with a local about the wild life in the area.

TV editing is great at showing what the producers want to get the ratings.  I'll say however the guy was clearly overwhelmed by his own admission IIRC.  He also had a look of deer in head lights and seemed very emotional.  I don't think it was good timing on his part to have a pregnant wife and young kid at home. 

No knock against him at all.  It certainly is one thing to practice these skills in a class or back yard setting or even a familiar setting vs being dropped off in un familiar area.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline inkster

• Administrator
  • Administrator
Reply #27 on: June 25, 2015, 06:55:23 PM
I haven't really seen much of this show, but I have looked in the mirror and been "Naked and Afraid"

hr Offline styx

Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 07:05:38 PM

1) 12×12 ground sheet
2) 550 paracord – 20m
3) Saw
4) Axe
5) Sleeping bag
6) large 2 quart pot
7) Ferro rod
9) knife

When the dude found the bear den 30 yards away from his camp and didn't move camp farther away, that is when I said to my wife "this guy is not gonna last it very long"

I agree the editing has everything to do with how the contestants are portrayed, and I don't claim to be an expert woodsman, but really, some common sense and fore thought wouldn't have gone a stray there...

common sense is so uncommon these days it's counted as a superpower

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: June 26, 2015, 04:17:35 PM

1) 12×12 ground sheet
2) 550 paracord – 20m
3) Saw
4) Axe
5) Sleeping bag
6) large 2 quart pot
7) Ferro rod
9) knife

common sense is so uncommon these days it's counted as a superpower

That's true, you know?

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD