Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]

Aloha · 911 · 34897

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Anyone watch the tv show Alone?
Reply #180 on: April 18, 2016, 04:55:20 PM
I wonder if they came here for ideas  :think:.  Be neat if they did and would check in and let us know. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #181 on: April 18, 2016, 06:27:15 PM
Cool! Larry Roberts is in it. Hope he makes it pretty far.

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #182 on: April 18, 2016, 08:07:23 PM
got extra info on the man?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #183 on: April 18, 2016, 08:09:33 PM
I see from their lists several are taking foods.  I would also considering the first few day the last thing I'd want to deal with is hunger.  Getting that shelter squared away and a fire are going to be essential as we saw. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #184 on: April 19, 2016, 11:22:40 AM
Just a small time you tuber.  You see him and Justin Wolfe do some vids together.

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline styx

Reply #185 on: April 19, 2016, 01:28:45 PM
I see from their lists several are taking foods.  I would also considering the first few day the last thing I'd want to deal with is hunger.  Getting that shelter squared away and a fire are going to be essential as we saw. 

well they do have the advantage of knowing what to expect to some degree since the first season has been out for a while.

Just a small time you tuber.  You see him and Justin Wolfe do some vids together.

That's us mobile

outside of Alan last season, i wasn't aware of the other yt guys so no wonder i don't know him

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #186 on: April 24, 2016, 03:56:33 PM
WOW what a 1st day.  I won't spoil it for those who haven't yet seen the episode.

Holy smurf is all I can say, it's not quite what I would have expected. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #187 on: April 24, 2016, 06:24:24 PM
Forgot it was on, must fine and watch now.   :ahhh
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

hr Offline styx

Reply #188 on: April 24, 2016, 10:07:19 PM
WOW what a 1st day.  I won't spoil it for those who haven't yet seen the episode.

Holy smurf is all I can say, it's not quite what I would have expected.

last season started a bit similar

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #189 on: April 25, 2016, 12:52:53 PM
Thanks for the heads-up!  :cheers:

I assume they only air the show once it's over and done with?
Can you imagine if a few guys just keep going  :D

hr Offline styx

Reply #190 on: April 25, 2016, 01:47:35 PM
i could imagine it but it was somewhat crazy that last year a few contestants said they were getting ready for 6 months and even a year but the winner was decided in 56 days. should make us all wonder how much we overestimate ourselves. although the validity argument can be made because of a limit on gear choices and weight limit of that same gear (no need to take it into account since one will be predominantly sedentary)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #191 on: April 25, 2016, 05:19:53 PM
Limited gear plus environment greatly reduce ones overall endurance to last.  I'd imagine in that environment even a rifle would have not been much help  :think:

I've never hunted but I also wonder even under more ideal weather conditions what hunting would be like?

Alan ( winner from last year ) appeared to fare decently.  Keep in mind he is a very large man 6'6 and must have "required" a lot more calories than a smaller man. 

I am still surprised how spooked some are regarding predators.  I guess those who go out in the wild with firearms feel better if they run across one. 

Not comparing naked and afraid necessarily but they last 21 days with next to nothing.  I wonder what if any is "scripted" on that show.  We know a camera crew follows those survivalist however I cannot imagine any help is given. 

The weather is a huge factor for the cast of Alone tho its still very much a metal challenge as well. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #192 on: April 25, 2016, 07:36:07 PM
With naked and afraid, I think the big factor is that they have an immediate safety net. So while they are required to last 21 days it is also a limited number of days

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #193 on: April 27, 2016, 07:23:05 AM
I've been thinking about something.  The contestants step off the boat on the morning of the first day and they're fresh, full of energy and enthusiasm, and their bellies are full.  How come none of them immediately commenced to cutting down small trees to build a sturdier shelter or cut themselves a sharpened pole to use as a defensive weapon?  It's what I would have done as soon as I had determined my shelter location. 

hr Offline styx

Reply #194 on: April 27, 2016, 09:14:35 AM
getting overwhelmed and thinking about other resources like water?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #195 on: April 28, 2016, 07:21:32 AM
I think they all have solid plans but when they hit the beach and see the boat leaving they get a big EFFING reality check. 

Now the emotions come flooding in and once any shred of doubt comes in panic sets in. 

Most people in their day to day lives don't live in panic.  The voices within telling them  what they NEED to do vs what they had envisioned caused more confusion for some. 

The dude who wasted all that energy to see if he could find a better site, the lady who failed to secure her tarp so as not to wet her down bag.  These simple stupid mistakes cost big time.  Just like last year when they guy lost his ferro rod and tapped.  How about the guy last year who drank the water and then later that night started having visions.   

This group had the "benefit" of watching last years mistakes and successes.  You would think they would know to get a shelter up and get fire going.  Next on the list is find water and set up some sort of "security". 

I've got nothing but respect for these folks but in some cases I too wonder WTF. 

Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #196 on: April 28, 2016, 08:30:13 AM
it goes like shower arguments vs actual arguments with people. we all know what to say, have the perfect responses and could be defined by most of the positive superlatives when going over things in our head. but when we actually need to have a discussion, it's not necessarily that it all comes out. and even if it does, it often looks and sounds incomprehensible as opposed to the original idea.

I do wonder if there is a way of preparing oneself for the mental aspect of that reality check.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #197 on: April 28, 2016, 06:18:59 PM
it goes like shower arguments vs actual arguments with people. we all know what to say, have the perfect responses and could be defined by most of the positive superlatives when going over things in our head. but when we actually need to have a discussion, it's not necessarily that it all comes out. and even if it does, it often looks and sounds incomprehensible as opposed to the original idea.

I do wonder if there is a way of preparing oneself for the mental aspect of that reality check.

Yes I do believe there are ways to emotionally and mentally prepare.  Life and ones experience would play a part as well.  Depending on how each has dealt with those life's situations are important.  I think early on when the reality has struck it not so much about skill per se.  What hits them in the face are emotions and their natural inclinations toward them, in a way emotions have memory.           

Stressful situations may have some curl up while others coil up.  Think fetal position vs snake ready to strike.  Its kinda like the fight or flight mentality when faced with threats.  The difference is the threat is part imagined and part reality.  The imagined is where we see those began to get really worked up.  The deep recesses of our mind is a scary place.   

Mentally many have relied on others to fill in where needed, the soldiers are well skilled and trained yet they have other skilled and trained colleagues watching their backsides. 

The survivalist while also skilled and trained rarely place themselves in situations where they are testing their skills to this level of even close.

Taking nothing away from anyone of these people at all mind you.  The guy who tapped out said it himself.  A survivalist would truly only know how good his/her skill was after they have survived a circumstance.   

Emotions are a rollercoaster so for these folks such high highs followed by low lows in short spans of time has got to be brutal.   

The fascination for me is not so much how they survive its more the emotional and mental hurdles they overcome. 

We saw this played out with Alan.  His conversations to me were interesting to hear and watch unfold.  He seemed to get stronger IMO mentally as the day wore on.   The young man also went thru similar mental and emotional battles.  He seemed to ebb and flow emotionally more than Alan.  I enjoyed watching the dude who built the yurt go thru his rollercoaster and working it out at times.  He as we saw ultimately came to the conclusion he had accomplished all he came to do.   

Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #198 on: April 28, 2016, 08:44:39 PM
well i do agree with you. it is hard to simply point at one aspect though. for instance i remember some odd years ago having a day that was mentally challenging for reasons that are now beyond me. i was sick, i was at home and there was some high octane drama going on with the then potential mrs styx. for the life of me i can't tell you which part was striking that breaking cord, but it sure was played like a fiddle.

now to put oneself in a situation where you're hardly as comfortable as you could be in your own bed and have a mental state like that would be something where, gotta admit this, i'd make a lot of poor choices.

see that is what started to bug me in a lot of outdoor communities is that they preached one thing but didn't exactly do it. again, you've said it.

what i'm trying to say with this incoherent twaddle is that unless you put yourself in an extreme situation, it's hard to be really prepared for it mentally. and if you're mind isn't in it then the gear and knowledge won't do you much good.

hr Offline styx

Reply #199 on: April 30, 2016, 04:40:32 PM
is it just me or was that injury due to a dumb mistake?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #200 on: April 30, 2016, 04:54:45 PM
is it just me or was that injury due to a dumb mistake?

I saw that coming a mile away  :facepalm:. Terribly unfortunate but we've said that its little things in this type situation that add up to failure.

The dude with the ferro rod, while I feel bad for him, in a situation like that one would think he'd be hyper cautious about such important gear. 

I know its wet out there but I asked myself over and over again, why hasn't he trained for this exact situation?  I mean to say, why hasn't he set himself up for the possibility of not having ga ferro rod in wet conditions to procure fire in another way?  He seemed so dependent on that ferro rod rather than having any other "tools".  While I personally have no skills in friction fire and my comments maybe totally wrong here.  He's been out there now for several days, why hasn't he dried wood? 

I am beginning to question these so called survival trainers.  I'm beginning to feel they are only suited to survive as long as gear allows  :think:.  Is this actually survival?

Brings me to the cast of naked and afraid................  Just thinking aloud.   

I am not making any judgements just making observations in general as to all these so called survivalist.

Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #201 on: April 30, 2016, 10:40:17 PM
I've seen only a few episodes of naked and afraid so can't really comment on that part.

But the problems that happened were either missing the details or lack of experience. With the axe, I'd call it lack of experience. Hit myself once in the knee and somehow the message of keeping any body part I'd like to keep out of the way of a heavy sharp thing got through.

As for friction fire - you're not alone. I know the theory, but the practical part is non existent. Still if you know it will be wet then as you've said - practice. Soak wood and try to get it going with a ferro rod. Go out in the rain and practice any method of friction fire that suits you.
And one thing that is disturbing is how some blatantly obvious things aren't as logical as I'd have thought. I always wondered how some instructors managed to make a living when often their intermediate classes don't go beyond anything that is pure and simple logic. Skills and some more specialized knowledge is excluded here. If you make a fire, dry anything that is wet including firewood. Might also be helpful if you make sure there is some easy to ignite stuff in case the fire goes out. If you have a high carbon tool it might be a good idea to find something that will throw sparks off it, just in case. In choosing between keeping a 100 year old axe head in pristine condition and my behind being cozy, guess what takes precedence. Not very keen on "at least the axe/knife was in a magnificent state" being a part of my eulogy.

As far as calling anyone an expert, that is a term as washed out in the outdoors community as is "future hall of famer" in any professional sport. I've seen guys described as experts while they would only go out in fair weather with about 120lbs of gear on their back. You know, the lightweight, knowledge over everything guys that like to get preachy

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #202 on: May 01, 2016, 06:12:12 AM
 :tu: Very much as I see it. 

I cannot imagine how difficult it is to get friction fire going in those conditions so I am in no way arm chair quarterbacking nor criticizing. 

I have respect for him and the others who are on the show. 

I guess looking at these people who are instructors or "experts" I'd expect more.  I know the term and title survivalist has been watered way down. 

Maybe to bottom line is they are only as proficient as the gear they have.  It's not a bad thing at all and probably more than I could do.  Its just some would have you believe they could survive for months in the wild. 

I believe I heard a cast member say he planned on being out there a year and another for several months  :think:

This is why I hold Matt Graham is high regard.  This dude has long term survival on his mind and lives it.   

Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #203 on: May 01, 2016, 12:31:46 PM
In the first season I think Wayne had at least 6 months in mind and Joe had about a year. Maybe it was reversed so don't quote me on it. They didn't fare all to well.

Reality is that I could say I can stay there for the next 10 years, but that would have to include 9 years and 360 days of a cougar chewing on my bones ;)

Maybe the practice what you preach approach would be a good reminder for everyone. And then practice just about everything else what others preach. We've seen it on other shows where one style has an edge but gets complemented by knowledge of other styles (if there are specific styles of survival).

As the next fire mentality goes, I've remembered that at a certain time Dave Canterbury was really going off on it in every video he made.

Another thought if the person with axe problems (not to spoil things) really isn't used to axes, then wouldn't another tool have been a wiser choice? If it's allowed ofc. One can't really expect to take down huge trees, so something like a parang might have worked well.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #204 on: May 01, 2016, 02:01:25 PM
I was cringing so hard when I saw that girl using the axe to split kindling AND HOLDING HER HAND UNDER THE AXE HEAD... and then it slips...  :facepalm: 

Rule 1 of using sharp things is keep your body parts out of the way of the sharp things. 

At least she didnt chop off a finger.  Tendons can be repaired, but that would mean shes out if she did that much damage.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #205 on: May 02, 2016, 01:42:13 AM
Another thought if the person with axe problems (not to spoil things) really isn't used to axes, then wouldn't another tool have been a wiser choice? If it's allowed ofc. One can't really expect to take down huge trees, so something like a parang might have worked well.

I was thinking the same thing.  How useful is an axe if they weren't planning on cutting down huge trees.  Especially concerning David Mcintyre (who we know as Colhane on YouTube).  He's a machete Guru from his 15 years of teaching in Brazil. He's probably the machete Guru. Even Dave Canterbury sharpens his machetes following Mcintyre's (Colhane's) example. So... why did he bring an axe?  Why did any of them.

Most people who live around hard wood forests are probably more familiar with axes than machetes and are comfortable in their ability to use them, and they have to have  something to process firewood and construct a shelter so I guess they would bring what they are comfortable with.

hr Offline styx

Reply #206 on: May 02, 2016, 08:48:11 AM
I guess it's still the mentality of "whole lotta trees, better bring an axe". But it doesn't make a whole lot of sense from an experience point. While it might look silly McIntyre is an excellent example of use what you're comfortable with and make it work.

For instance a large knife would work too. Sure it would take longer and one would exert himself or herself more but it would work as shown in the video

Another option could be a tomahawk. While again not ideal in the conventional sense, I remember there being a guy who made a very nice camp with just a cold steel norse hawk and either a bucksaw or a bowsaw.
http://www.americangrouch.com/2011/12/norse-hawk-camp.html

That would round out the tool part of the equation. If allowed by the rules - why simply not go for the best tool you know how to use?
The other part is technique. While axe technique can be discussed at length, a lot of it has to do with better energy transfer. The safety part is rather short since tips apply all around. however people rarely mention the use of a sissy stick or batoning with an axe since it's so much cooler, and might be easier, to swing it. The injury we saw was rather light in comparison to seeing a guy almost split his foot in 2 (won't link to that). And this was a guy who at least on paper was quite proficient in axe use. The lucky part was that it happened at a meet so he was rushed to a hospital

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #207 on: May 02, 2016, 02:12:18 PM
I was cringing so hard when I saw that girl using the axe to split kindling AND HOLDING HER HAND UNDER THE AXE HEAD... and then it slips...  :facepalm: 

Rule 1 of using sharp things is keep your body parts out of the way of the sharp things. 

At least she didnt chop off a finger.  Tendons can be repaired, but that would mean shes out if she did that much damage.
I just watch the episode last night and thought the same thing. I wonder why she did not familiarize herself with an axe knowing she was going to take one out there.
Kinda feel sorry for the one guys ferro rod that burned up. Simple mistake that could have been avoided, but being tried and hungry didn't help him any. I thought it was pretty ingenious of him to look at his past recordings to help find it or figure out what happened to it. Hopefully he has been drying some wood out so he can try a friction fire. Though, I bet using that method is nigh impossible in that area. Hell I can't do that method most of the time in good dry conditions. There is a reason why man dropped that method hundreds of not thousands of years ago for banging two rocks to together and later Flint and steel. Speaking of, I am kinda surprised that nobody has made any charred punk wood yet. Mitch from season 1 did that early on and it helped him from using up his ferro rod so much and made making fire easier. But that is assuming this group watched season 1. But alas, we all know what assuming does. It make an ass out of U and me.
Now of coarse it is easy to set in my chair while watching this, and say this or that, I am not there and I am sure I would make some mistakes too and for sure it has be one hell of a mind job, but the using an axe like that...
Anyways, best of luck to them.

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #208 on: May 02, 2016, 03:59:04 PM
Not knowing if any has watched the previous show however familiarizing yourself with the tools you will be using seems reasonable.  As far as making mistakes that too is reasonable even for the most seasoned individual. 

It takes courage to get out there so yes big props to all those who were determined to do so.

Its hard to not come off as critical and I'm trying not to.  I am in no position nor am I second guessing what they did out there.  As to the people who get paid to do this or who claim to have years of experience I'm just surprised. 

Stepping away from this show for a sec, I don't recall Matt Graham even stumble with what to do.  I know the situation and show was totally different but man what a deep "tool box" that dude has. 

His environment is totally different but he's out for months at a time.   
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #209 on: May 02, 2016, 08:12:37 PM
That settles it gents, we need to get an MTo representative there. I vote Kirky :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%