Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]

Aloha · 911 · 34862

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]
Reply #270 on: May 22, 2016, 11:32:14 AM
Jose's was.

It was nice to see 'em working on shelters
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline JP

Reply #271 on: May 22, 2016, 03:08:50 PM
It looked like Nicole had a sheet of corrugated steel. It could be debris from Japan.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #272 on: May 22, 2016, 03:59:59 PM
It's pretty amazing what can wash up on the shore. David has started making a new Gill net, but I don't think he has finished and deployed it yet, but what a great idea.
Some more substantial shelters have been made, though not much has been shown other than Randy and Nicole. Justin's use of bull kelp is brilliant!
Only copy of episode 5 I could find was mirror image, maybe so History don't get it taken down, I don't know. Still, it was watchable

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #273 on: May 22, 2016, 06:07:34 PM
I thought it was great the smallest person caught the biggest fish.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #274 on: May 23, 2016, 02:19:17 AM
I thought it was great the smallest person caught the biggest fish.  :D

Ha, yeah, that's pretty cool.

It's got me thinking if anyone has thoughts on longer term food options. I don't know what the seasonal gathering will be like, but if winter comes and it is too rough to fish then having some dried/smoked fish or something else to sustain has to be done. Interesting, Sam from season 1 said in a commentary vid that he still had a pound of pemmican when he left. I wonder how fast they are burning through their rations or if they are indeed saving them up for winter. Given the cold and damp drying is probably quite difficult.

Randy quite happy to eat every. single. bit of that mouse other than the guts, but he doesn't want to eat a slug?  :think:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #275 on: May 23, 2016, 05:41:45 AM
It was good seeing the shelters getting built up more substantially.  I wonder with Nicoles plant knowledge if shes able to procure some roots?  I was so happy for her catching that huge fish. 

Randy seems to be doing pretty well fire wise.   Watching him eat the mouse yet ponder the slug was interesting. 

Justin is a hoot.  I had a good time watching him and his antics.  Love the indoor plumbing  :rofl:.

Not sure why we aren't seeing Jose more  :think:.
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #276 on: May 23, 2016, 08:29:22 AM
Could it be that Jose is not as adept at filming and has a slower, more boring, style? Or it could be that he lasted really long while others haven't

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #277 on: May 23, 2016, 04:11:07 PM
It did cross my mind that possibly Jose is getting along nicely so not much to see.  I also thought he may have filmed very little or mostly boring stuff. 

IIRC the producers and medical team visited the contestants periodically to make sure they were healthy.  I bet they also retrieved the memory cards to review what had been filmed.  At that point I'm sure they'd tell them to start filming more or encourage them to film other things.   

Just a guess. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #278 on: May 23, 2016, 04:20:42 PM
Well so far the more someone is on camera the sooner they tap out.  So Jose is probably rocking it.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

hr Offline styx

Reply #279 on: May 23, 2016, 09:39:40 PM
considering Alan last season it could be a swerve as well. he wasn't on much in the beginning and he lasted long. 3rd longest

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #280 on: May 24, 2016, 02:09:02 AM
To me, in the intro/outro there has been some clip of one of the contestants taking a plunge into the water from a raft or boat of some kind. I think that it's Jose channeling a bit of Lucas. If going out on the water you'd really want to make sure you had a fire going ready for if you ended up in the drink. Didn't see any of Mike this episode or Larry IIRC?
Larry has been doing commentary vids on each episode, and he mentioned something about Mary Kate. Despite her injury, she kept filming. She filmed everything up to the rescue, I don't think the camera stopped. That is commitment. Such a shame she isn't there anymore.

Justin must be getting enough food if he has built a Gym. Those that are going fine with food and everything will likely be personal reasons for tapping, once they reach the point that they have fulfilled all they wanted or for injury. I don't doubt that Lucas (and others) could have gone further in season 1 but the money wasn't the reason he needed to stay.

In season 1, even though Alan wasn't doing much at times to conserve energy, he got snippets here and there because of his monologues which were great to watch. I can only imagine how many hours of footage gets dumped in the editing process.

hr Offline styx

Reply #281 on: May 24, 2016, 08:17:44 AM
ok so here is the calculation on the assumption that they filmed 24 hours a day.

Alan 56 days - 1344 hours
Sam 55 days - 1320 hours
Mitch 43 days - 1032 hours
Lucas 39 days - 936 hours
Dustin 8 days - 192 hours
Brant 6 days - 144 hours
Wayne 4 days - 96 hours
Joe 4 days - 96 hours
Chris 2 days - 48 hours
Josh 1 day - 24 hours

that brings us to a total of 5232 hours. an episode is 45 minutes long and there are 10 episodes a show which make the total run time 7.5 hours. so 5 224 hours and 30 minutes of footage goes unseen by the public with this calculation

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #282 on: May 24, 2016, 03:30:36 PM
Easy enough to understand lots of filming not making the cut. 

Speaking of Sam  :think:  I wonder how that guy is doing?  I liked that young man and his wife should have had their baby by now. 

Esse Quam Videri

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #283 on: May 24, 2016, 11:57:59 PM
ok so here is the calculation on the assumption that they filmed 24 hours a day.

Sam 55 days - 1320 hours
Brant 6 days - 144 hours
Wayne 4 days - 96 hours
Joe 4 days - 96 hours
Chris 2 days - 48 hours
Josh 1 day - 24 hours

that brings us to a total of 5232 hours. an episode is 45 minutes long and there are 10 episodes a show which make the total run time 7.5 hours. so 5 224 hours and 30 minutes of footage goes unseen by the public with this calculation

Ah, but there is more than one camera for each person, and they have fixed cameras around their camp, so it could well be much more than that. Not that it really matters to us. One of the reasons I don't own a video camera is I'm too lazy to sit down and edit the footage!

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #284 on: May 25, 2016, 12:05:32 AM
Easy enough to understand lots of filming not making the cut. 

Speaking of Sam  :think:  I wonder how that guy is doing?  I liked that young man and his wife should have had their baby by now. 

He's on YT. I'd say he looks more well fed now than when he left the show. I've only watched one or two of his Alone commentary vids but that's all

ca Offline JP

Reply #285 on: May 25, 2016, 01:13:40 AM
Do you think all of the footage gets reviewed or do the contestants log events to help out  ie Day 3 6am, caught a fish.

hr Offline styx

Reply #286 on: May 25, 2016, 12:17:12 PM

Sam 55 days - 1320 hours
Brant 6 days - 144 hours
Wayne 4 days - 96 hours
Joe 4 days - 96 hours
Chris 2 days - 48 hours
Josh 1 day - 24 hours

Ah, but there is more than one camera for each person, and they have fixed cameras around their camp, so it could well be much more than that. Not that it really matters to us. One of the reasons I don't own a video camera is I'm too lazy to sit down and edit the footage!

true but also taking into account that they don't film themselves sleeping, and doing some other things, it evens things out

Do you think all of the footage gets reviewed or do the contestants log events to help out  ie Day 3 6am, caught a fish.

if they don't have a watch, it would be hard to tell the time

ca Offline JP

Reply #287 on: May 25, 2016, 01:27:05 PM
True that but I was thinking that the camera gear would have a running clock.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #288 on: May 26, 2016, 11:02:42 AM
Just a silly question, something that didn't bother me until I watched a YT video about the chosen gear etc, and the guy couldn't really pronounce "biltong".

Since I live in the land of biltong, it never bothered me when I heard it mentioned..........are they trying to be exotic by calling it biltong instead of jerky:rofl:

ca Offline JP

Reply #289 on: May 26, 2016, 12:21:04 PM
I haven't heard of biltong. Dried and seasoned meat is Jerky here.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #290 on: May 26, 2016, 01:27:05 PM
I love Biltong, I prefer it to jerky. Usually the jerky I've had is thinner and drier than Biltong. If I were to go on Alone, I'd want mine very dry so I could take more protein per weight, even though I like a softer Biltong.

• No Life Club
Reply #291 on: May 26, 2016, 03:14:49 PM
I haven't heard of biltong. Dried and seasoned meat is Jerky here.

Exactly, and you're from the host country of the show.

Biltong=jerky more or less  :rofl:

• No Life Club
Reply #292 on: May 26, 2016, 03:23:24 PM
I love Biltong, I prefer it to jerky. Usually the jerky I've had is thinner and drier than Biltong. If I were to go on Alone, I'd want mine very dry so I could take more protein per weight, even though I like a softer Biltong.

How can you not?  :tu:

Making biltong has been refined to an art here, be it the perfect wet beef biltong with 50/50 fat, or game biltong that crumbles when you break it.......whole, sliced or powdered.
In recent years the variety has just exploded, chilly bites being a huge hit, and the newest one for me is "geslaande biltong", which as far as I can figure out are whole pieces of biltong that are mechanically crushed but still intact.

Clarkson, Hammond, May and the crew of The Grand Tour seem to have developed a taste for chilly bites while filming here  :rofl:

ca Offline JP

Reply #293 on: May 26, 2016, 04:10:22 PM
Maybe it gives the show street cred? I am roughly 5500 highway km away from where they are filming. I have driven it but stopped when the road ended in Tofino.

Maybe the recipe for jerky and biltong are different? vs Pemican? This sounds like s query for Google!

ca Offline JP

Reply #294 on: May 30, 2016, 02:24:02 AM
The way I read it biltong and jerky are the same thing to me. Spiced and dehydrated meats.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #295 on: May 30, 2016, 07:44:07 AM
Craziest thing in the title sequence is the wolf chasing something/someone.

Biltong is just jerky done right.

• No Life Club
Reply #296 on: May 30, 2016, 09:26:26 AM

I think that's what we're all waiting for  :rofl:

hr Offline styx

Reply #297 on: May 30, 2016, 11:22:17 AM
would be crazy not to wait for that

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #298 on: May 30, 2016, 03:03:04 PM

I think that's what we're all waiting for  :rofl:

They certainly got my attention with that. 

We've got a lot of Coyotes in my area.  Not long ago one as crossing the street within 15 feet of me.  I was taking my dog out and saw it out of my peripheral vision.  I sure wouldn't want one or a wolf heading in my direction. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #299 on: June 15, 2016, 07:28:16 AM
so 2 people who had an amazing shelter set up tap out, one is itching for a fight with a bear, one is climbing deathwish mountain and one is still smurfing about the situation but remarkably hanging in and not a peep from anyone here?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%