Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]

Aloha · 911 · 32899

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Anyone watch the tv show Alone?
Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 04:19:22 PM
I began watching it but some parts were frightening. I stopped watching the show Alone, now I always watch it with company...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nz Offline Henry

Reply #31 on: June 29, 2015, 07:49:26 AM
I just watched episode 2, it seems that the wheat is getting separated from the chaff quickly, so it will become less frustrating. I believe programs like these become most interesting when you can put yourself in the contestant's shoes, and you're naturally thinking what you would do in each situation, then you get to see one option pan out. This definitely looks like it might be where its headed, so I think I'm going to stick with it.

Also its winter here, so I'm not getting out as much as I'd like to, this helps distract me!
Surge, Wave, Rebar, Micra, C33x

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: June 29, 2015, 09:50:26 AM
The latest man off was a bit of a surprise to me
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nz Offline Henry

Reply #33 on: June 29, 2015, 10:10:56 AM
Spoiler alert :-

Show content
Phobia of dogs, living around wolves is never going to work!

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: June 29, 2015, 10:36:13 AM
I just watched episode 2, it seems that the wheat is getting separated from the chaff quickly, so it will become less frustrating. I believe programs like these become most interesting when you can put yourself in the contestant's shoes, and you're naturally thinking what you would do in each situation, then you get to see one option pan out. This definitely looks like it might be where its headed, so I think I'm going to stick with it.

Also its winter here, so I'm not getting out as much as I'd like to, this helps distract me!

Are you watching it online? Or has the second episode already aired in NZ?
darren

nz Offline Henry

Reply #35 on: June 29, 2015, 10:44:08 AM
I've been watching it online.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: June 29, 2015, 11:47:20 AM
I've been watching it online.

Cool :D
darren

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: June 29, 2015, 03:29:48 PM
The latest man off was a bit of a surprise to me

I was also quite surprised  :think:.  I can put myself in his shoes however I'm beginning to wonder what gives?  These guys all knew in a fair amount of time what type dangers would be involved.  They each have bear spray and I'm certain each were given details about how to avoid conflict with predators.

If in fact he has a dog phobia then what made him think this was the time to try to get over it?  I looking at this from the standpoint of other guys not getting an opportunity to be on the show. 

I don't know how far in advance they knew where and what they'd encounter tho it's hard to believe with all the waivers they had to sign they didn't know full well. 

No bad on him for leaving but yeah very surprised.     
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #38 on: June 29, 2015, 04:21:51 PM
Phobia or not, it's hard to imagine that when you sign up for such a show you'd be far removed from canine predators no matter where you get left

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: June 30, 2015, 05:29:37 AM
I gotta wait 1 more night to see what you guys are on about, but by the sounds of it some of these guys are in way over their heads! Being alone in the wild isn't the best time to face your fears :facepalm:
darren

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: June 30, 2015, 05:47:53 AM
I gotta wait 1 more night to see what you guys are on about, but by the sounds of it some of these guys are in way over their heads! Being alone in the wild isn't the best time to face your fears :facepalm:

Exactly nor is it the time to practice skills IMO.   This to me is a place to test skill sets learned and honed over time and in various situations.  If the only surviving done was in a back yard or campsite then this was most certainly the wrong place to be.   

Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Henry

Reply #41 on: June 30, 2015, 06:23:48 AM
So do they need a 1 week competition to qualify for the chance? I wonder if they'd even have enough people entering...

Bit of a risk to quit your job indefinitely!

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: June 30, 2015, 10:23:07 AM

Exactly nor is it the time to practice skills IMO.   This to me is a place to test skill sets learned and honed over time and in various situations.  If the only surviving done was in a back yard or campsite then this was most certainly the wrong place to be.   

Agreed! :salute:

So do they need a 1 week competition to qualify for the chance? I wonder if they'd even have enough people entering...

Bit of a risk to quit your job indefinitely!

I really have no idea how they would choose their contestants, probably an interview and some practical tests maybe?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:28:02 AM by DazMechanical »
darren

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #43 on: June 30, 2015, 11:26:56 AM
Hey, if they do another season, maybe some of us could go. We can represent MTO.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline styx

Reply #44 on: June 30, 2015, 01:04:10 PM
Well Joe also put out a video on his 10 item choices and I like the honesty, especially when it came to friction fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz1Ve-5UQQY

I'm also getting a strong feeling that rather than applying some were recruited or contacted due to their Youtube content, perhaps standings on certain forums

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #45 on: June 30, 2015, 01:59:37 PM
Well Joe also put out a video on his 10 item choices and I like the honesty, especially when it came to friction fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz1Ve-5UQQY

I'm also getting a strong feeling that rather than applying some were recruited or contacted due to their Youtube content, perhaps standings on certain forums
I think you maybe on to something there Styx. Joe has been a YouTube for along while doing bushcraft and backpacking vids. He and a friend of his just started a  bushcraft school.
Anyhow, he is the one I am hoping that makes it to the end. If not him, Mitch is my second.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline styx

Reply #46 on: July 01, 2015, 08:26:18 PM

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: July 01, 2015, 09:14:33 PM
Joes video is very interesting.  He mentions they all had an opportunity to research and prepare, which make total sense as I mentioned earlier.  I dig the items and why he chose to bring them from the "list" of what the show offered.  That also seemed clear from the list of things each brought with them.   

As far as the "trolls", I get that criticism can get very mean spirited and rude which is unfortunate.   It does make me wonder why with all the planning anyone would decide to go given the area and the particular time of year. 

I sure hope I dont sound trollish in saying this,  I know  being honest with my fears and my limited skills I'd not have even gave this show a nano second of thought.  It seems the first two who tapped out may have needed a bit more time in deciding.

I'd now be interested in how the cast was chosen.   

Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #48 on: July 02, 2015, 10:36:13 AM
I know one of the first 2 off posted something about trolls and really attacked those who were critical of them.
However I'm not sure how trollish were the comments. It's one thing to simply be negative, it's another to question and apparently that is sth we shouldn't do either.

I too would be interesting in hearing how the casting process worked.

The interesting thing to me is that Mitch, Joe and Wayne have 3 different approaches if you look at their youtube videos but in the same situation those distinctions become negligible as all 3 are doing the common sense thing. And this is something that might, could and should piss off some elitists.

nz Offline Henry

Reply #49 on: July 12, 2015, 02:03:41 AM
So just had episode 4, it looks like if they did a week trial to get in they wouldn't have managed many contestants!

Definitely different levels between the guys surviving well and those going home. For some fire/water/food have all been challenges easily overcome already and allowing them to settle in for the long haul.

Definitely making me excited for spring to get out camping again.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: July 12, 2015, 02:51:54 AM
So just had episode 4, it looks like if they did a week trial to get in they wouldn't have managed many contestants!

Definitely different levels between the guys surviving well and those going home. For some fire/water/food have all been challenges easily overcome already and allowing them to settle in for the long haul.

Definitely making me excited for spring to get out camping again.

I agree.

I am a bit surprised with all the loneliness talk.  I might be a total odd ball but I rather like solitude.  I'm not sure why the shelters aren't being worked on more, however with the shows editing we might not be seeing the total picture. 

So far so good and I'm in for next week.   
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Henry

Reply #51 on: July 12, 2015, 03:49:38 AM
I agree on shelters. Other than the guy who decided to build a cabin one day and then realised that's an awful lot of work, most are in day 1 tarp tents!

But yeah I'm going to watch the whole series anyway...

hr Offline styx

Reply #52 on: July 12, 2015, 10:14:05 AM
What is more baffling to me is that many of them were talking that they are preparing for long hauls. 6 months to a year. And now with 6 days in that turned out to be a very overzealous estimate.

I'm wondering if History would go out of it's way and when all of this is said and done, get a renowned survivalist to take the challenge under the same conditions to see how these guys stack up to the tv pros.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: July 12, 2015, 04:05:58 PM
I was surprised at some seemingly simple bad judgement calls as well.  I know its wet and hard to make fire however with predators in the area a good sized fire does wonders for the psych.   Cooking in the tent seemed like a terrible idea from such "seasoned" guys. 

It would be incredibly interesting to see a "pro" out there. 

There was one guy who had what appeared to be a terrific shelter, I believe its Alan.  This same guy also while missing his family seems to have a good foot hold on being there. 

The real young guy Sam also had a decent shelter and continues to have a pretty good disposition.

Ok question, am I wrong is saying with the amount of rain and the tarps most brought some type of rain catch would be a good idea?  I know Mitch found a great water source but the guy filtering water thru moss seemed confused. 

With the amount of time they had to prepare I'd have thought a rain catch would have been sorted out.  I live in a dry area so not much rain per year but you better believe I would have been darn near expert level in harvesting rain water. 

Lastly, I am still very confused as to why better shelter aren't being worked on.  In survival situations the goal is to be found but this is about hunkering down for as long as possible.  It may be that we aren't seeing something due to the show editing.   
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 04:07:37 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #54 on: July 12, 2015, 05:04:19 PM
When it comes to shelters it really is surprising. Plus the guy with the oiltarp admitted that he shot himself in the foot, but he is also the only one constantly working on things. But that will burn a lot of calories.

Using tarps for a rain catch is a good idea, however there is often all sorts of stuff in it that falls from trees. So it is a good way to get water but some basic filtering is needed

hr Offline styx

Reply #55 on: July 15, 2015, 07:52:18 PM

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #56 on: July 16, 2015, 07:15:38 AM
Mitch really seems like he has his smurf together. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #57 on: July 16, 2015, 10:05:43 AM
Sure does. Although I am surprised that he didn't go for a tarp, even though all of his choices seem logical. No paracord either. I wonder what your run of the mill 101st chairborne survivalist would say about that

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #58 on: July 16, 2015, 11:02:13 AM
I am watching the show. But I admit: I have trouble mixing up the contestants.  :facepalm:

Note: I could vanish in a line-up of them as I look pretty much the same - That doesn't really help my feelings.  :(

Now to the contest: I am surprised how many close encounters with predators occured up to now. I would have thought the animals would be more shy. (shier? Doesn't look right to me, but maybe it is.) I would have freaked out, too. But to let brackish water flow over moos, well that was just stupid, imo.

And I am expecting more stable shelters in the next episodes. The caught salmon was a step into a more orderer lifestyle. I'll keep watching.  :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: July 16, 2015, 04:35:19 PM
So I've been doing some reading on the net about this show and it seems casting for season 2 is done.  I'm not certain this is a fact or just speculation.  It would also seem the "casting" was done by contacting certain ( popular ) survival folks based on the videos they post.  From what I could gather these people were sent an email regarding the show concept and their interest however they weren't told about the 1/2 million prize money necessarily.  I got this from prepared mind one o ones video on the show.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some of the stronger people from naked survival show.  I also wonder what about the awesome women survivalist?     
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD