Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]

Aloha · 911 · 34861

ca Offline JP

Re: Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]
Reply #390 on: July 25, 2016, 04:42:40 PM

Pretty sure they all receive an "income" while they're out.  As far as children and such  :think:.

Sweet. That would be great.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #391 on: July 25, 2016, 05:40:05 PM
I'm guessing they get something for being on the show even if they don't finish, but I'm not certain it would be enough to allow one to quit their day job.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #392 on: July 25, 2016, 05:50:44 PM
It would be interesting to know what amount they do get. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #393 on: July 28, 2016, 09:42:00 AM
David was lucky he didn't smurf his knees bad. Given a bit more time I think the lack of food would have made him do something bad enough to take him out. He'd already gone half way in the water once.

The one thing I thought could take down Jose did it. He was really reefing on that gill net, and the tippy kayak just wasn't up for it. Had he had Mike's Barge I reckon he'd have been fine. Given his location he did remarkably well. I was wondering why with such small floats on his outriggers that he put them so close to the hull. Longer outriggers would have given a bit more stability, but would have cut down maneuverability. Also he'd left himself no contingency if he went in by wearing all of his warm clothing. Did he have a fire going back at camp? My guess is probably not. He was so quick to hit the button once he got out. Must have really shocked him, that water would have been bitterly cold.

Never did see that wolf on the beach from the opening or closing segment, did anyone else?

Larry really rode the roller coaster, I thought he was going to tap earlier but gritted it out for a bit longer.

Mary Kate cut through one of the tendons and only has limited use of the thumb now, man that is such a cringe worthy bit of footage every time I see it. Really serves as a reminder to not put bits of yourself in the line of fire.

Change of location is going to be very interesting for season 3!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #394 on: July 28, 2016, 10:28:49 AM
Never did see the wolf either. Kind of annoyed that they would tease us with something like that and then not show it.

ca Offline JP

Reply #395 on: July 28, 2016, 12:25:13 PM
Geez, that is too bad for Mary Kate. Hopefully it doesn't hold her back at work.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #396 on: July 28, 2016, 05:22:41 PM
Never did see the wolf either. Kind of annoyed that they would tease us with something like that and then not show it.

:twak: I agree it wasn't a nice tease. 

Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #397 on: September 18, 2016, 11:26:20 AM
well gents Dave has joined a podcast. he and Jim Nowka from American knife company spent about an hour talking about Alone and Dave seemed very different than the angry guy we saw on the show

for all interested he is in episode 100

http://knifejournal.com/PodCast/feed.xml
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #398 on: December 03, 2016, 06:28:01 PM
Season 3, Alone; Patagonia is going to start on the 8th.  There will be a meet the contestants special episode on before the first episode.  Check show times and set those DVRs. :cheers:

hr Offline styx

Reply #399 on: December 03, 2016, 09:57:28 PM
thanks for the heads up

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #400 on: December 04, 2016, 01:16:32 AM
 :tu: Thanks.
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline JP

Reply #401 on: December 09, 2016, 03:37:36 AM
Watching it now

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #402 on: December 09, 2016, 07:55:18 AM
I'll wait for the others to catch up.  Just finished the introductions and drop off.  Patagonia is no joke. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #403 on: December 09, 2016, 06:04:38 PM
i'm having issues finding the episodes so no need to wait or worry about spoilers with me

ca Offline JP

Reply #404 on: December 09, 2016, 06:25:27 PM
Callie North is off to a good start. While I was watching she caught two Rainbow Trout.

So,

They have Trout to catch and Wild Boar to hunt. Tasty options.

And Puma aka Mountain Lion aka Cougar aka Panther aka trouble to contend with.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #405 on: December 10, 2016, 06:50:06 AM
We have Mountain Lions in our mountains as well.  They are pretty amazing animals and impressive in size as well.  Being ambush hunters they'll certainly not know they were being stalked until it pounced on them.  I'd be like the guy who wore the "eyes" on the back of his hat.  I don't know how effective that is but it seemed like a good idea.     

I'd also be trying to figure out how to trap and kill one of those hogs. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #406 on: December 10, 2016, 06:10:33 PM
How to kill a hog with the given resources? Spear. Big spear. Or dart from an atlatl, maybe a few arrows too.
How to trap a hog securely enough to kill it is the issue I wouldn't want to be solving in that situation. Maybe if one were to focus on smaller hogs rather than the large ones...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #407 on: December 10, 2016, 06:20:26 PM
How to kill a hog with the given resources? Spear. Big spear. Or dart from an atlatl, maybe a few arrows too.
How to trap a hog securely enough to kill it is the issue I wouldn't want to be solving in that situation. Maybe if one were to focus on smaller hogs rather than the large ones...

I wasn't aware how big they can get.  I wouldn't want a pissed off hog in a "trap" while I was trying to kill it getting loose. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #408 on: December 10, 2016, 09:21:14 PM
depends on the subspecies. 600lbs is big.

had a similar talk about deer recently too. locally we have one species of deer that is about as big as a goat and your run of the mill red deer. but due to some words being used incorrectly most people think that the goat sized female is the proper term for a red deer doe 

us Offline 4everYoung

Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]
Reply #409 on: January 08, 2017, 09:51:16 PM
I've been enjoying this new season. Patagonia seems legit. I love seeing  the different strategies each person takes. One of the most interesting aspects for me, is seeing the 10 items each person chooses and how they adapt to the surroundings to use them.

Watching the last episode I saw Fowler using what looked like a Vic Spirit. And I really like his little shovel/ax combo tool. I think it's a cold steel.
Interesting enough he is the only one that opted for not having fixed blade knife but rather a multitool.  No one else this reason carried a multitool at all.
So I guess if he does well that could bode well for the use of multitool in survival situations.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:06:10 PM by 4everYoung »

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #410 on: January 09, 2017, 08:33:05 AM
Me and names...... :facepalm:

I find this third season very interesting so far because it seems the contestants have learned from the previous seasons and there's more strategy involved.

One of the early departures really made me wonder why he went in the first place......

The big guy's take-it-easy approach is interesting, for me personally because that would be the best strategy for me as well, and I want to see how it works out for him.

Looks like they might stay out a bit longer this time round, and if I had to place a bet at this stage it would be on the hippie chick  8)

Wouldn't need to, but if I was going on Alone, I would study and practice primitive and hand-line fishing methods  :whistle: 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #411 on: January 09, 2017, 05:50:45 PM
I was wondering where are their nets?  We saw last season many had gill nets and were very successful early on.  I'm not surprised anymore when someone leave "early".  I also feel these contestants have learned a lot from previous seasons.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #412 on: January 09, 2017, 05:56:47 PM
I'm just now looking at the videos of each constestants 10 items.

Interesting that Fowler didnt bring a fixed blade.  He did bring a Swisstool Spirit tho.

Zach seems to have made a fat wood handle for his ferro rod.  Not sure if that made it out with him.  Good idea tho.

Dave made a neat ferro rod holder which looks like fat wood.  I am really wondering if this made it out with him.   

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:03:39 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline JP

Reply #413 on: January 19, 2017, 03:59:52 AM
I am digging this season too. Really like the herbalist lady so far but we will see what happens with her health. I too am surprised at their fishing techniques. why don't they each have 20 lines set and smoke the fillets and get by on organs and fish head soup? Getting a boar would be awesome too..... Again since it is TV, there is likely much left out.

As I am putting my stuff on eBay I was thinking why wouldn't they take a Victorinox Swisschamp and an axe? Think of everything you could do with the Parcel Hook!!

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #414 on: January 19, 2017, 08:05:34 AM
I am digging this season too. Really like the herbalist lady so far but we will see what happens with her health. I too am surprised at their fishing techniques. why don't they each have 20 lines set and smoke the fillets and get by on organs and fish head soup? Getting a boar would be awesome too..... Again since it is TV, there is likely much left out.

I'm wondering the same thing, and some of their techniques...... :think:

The battle to trap the fox was quite entertaining  :rofl:

Offline muddog15

Reply #415 on: January 19, 2017, 12:42:07 PM
I watch it every week. And go to the web site occasionally. Some of the tools they took, I wouldn't even consider taking.

Sent from my SM-T817P using Tapatalk

hr Offline styx

Reply #416 on: January 19, 2017, 04:50:15 PM
And some brands return every season because they really work

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #417 on: January 19, 2017, 05:54:30 PM
It's been an interesting season yet again.  The big guy ( Dan ) leaving was a bit of a shock, mostly because he seemed to be quite certain just a day before on his strategy.  I get it tho as he hadn't thought about his family as intensely. 

Greg sure did have a battle with that fox  :rofl:.  I was routing for him but I guess they don't call the fox "sly" for nothing. 

Carleigh and Callie are some persistent ladies.  Callie's spider bites really don't look too good. 

Its been another really good season.       
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline JP

Reply #418 on: January 20, 2017, 02:58:57 AM
I am snuggling up into bed and getting ready to watch Alone. Just ate the last 5 Christmas cookies too. Will the contestants have any meals this week?

hr Offline styx

Reply #419 on: January 20, 2017, 09:38:25 PM
probably some fish and bark

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%