Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

camping with Breezy and the Minions (pic heavy!)

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
camping with Breezy and the Minions (pic heavy!)
on: June 23, 2015, 09:19:46 AM
I mentioned before that I was heading out on a camping trip with the Minions (my sons, ages 8 and 5) and my brother... well, the camping trip was over a week ago, so I apologize for the delay in getting these pics up. The bad news is that I was too busy having fun to take all the pics required for the merit badges I was going for, but the good news is that we had an absolute blast on this trip (and perfect weather too)! :D

We headed out to Gales Creek Campground in the Tillamook State Forest here in Oregon. The Minions and I love this campground. I love it because it's only about 45 minutes from home and there are no ATVs/dirt bikes/etc. allowed in this area. The Minions love it because they get to throw rocks in the creek for hours on end. It's a great little campground -- very peaceful. :)

Before I start with the story, allow me to answer the most important question and list off the tools that I brought with me. :D My primary carry was my ReCharge (carried with a ferro rod and LED Lenser M1 in a custom Skinth), ESEE 5, Vic Compact with emerald scales, Olight i3S, and LED Lenser H7 headlamp. Backup tools included the Mini Surge 2.0, Crunch, Croc, Vic Farmer, Mini Griptilian, and ESEE Candiru. Backup lights were an Olight S10 and LED Lenser F1. I guess you could say I was prepared. :whistle:

sidenote: I have been moving away from folders lately as they seem to be redundant with my setup. I brought the Mini Grip in case the older Minion wanted to try using a knife again.

The first night, it was just the younger Minion and me. Here's a shot of our campsite once we got the tent set up:

Once we were set up, Minion #2 wanted to try out the Leap that he got for Christmas -- more specifically, he wanted to use the saw. After getting the green light from me, he started out with a very ambitious project...

Please note that I was not letting him use the saw in the dark -- he didn't need the headlamp at this point, he just wanted to be ready for when it got dark. :) After a few minutes, he decided to tackle a more reasonable project and announced that he would help get the kindling ready for our fire.

Mission accomplished! :tu:

Dinner that night was a dutch oven pizza... his half was just plain pepperoni, but my half was pepperoni, ham, baby kale, and chopped baby garlic. It might have been because I was just plain hungry, but it was FANTASTIC. :drool: The pic is a bit blurry, but that's what happens when you have the 5-year-old hold the grinder take the picture. :D

I forgot to include my MT in the picture, but I thought the fire looked pretty cool after I got the Minion put to bed. :)

Breakfast the next morning included some spork usage. I used my snow peak titanium spork:

and Minion #2 used a Light My Fire spork:

Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my MTo Million Post CRKT Eat'n Tool, so I don't qualify for the Sporkman merit badge. :(

I did use some paracord to set up a clothesline (this would prove especially useful later when both Minions fell in the creek) and used two of my favorite knots in the process. First, a bowline on one end of the line:

and a tautline hitch on the other end to keep things tight:

sometime that afternoon, my brother and Minion #1 made it out to join us!

both Minions were enjoying the caterpillars around our campsite, especially Minion #2. :)

I put the ESEE 5 to work splitting our firewood for that evening... these pics are for you, Aloha!

to be honest, I've gotten so used to using the 5 for splitting wood that I honestly think I prefer it to a camp axe at this point. It obviously can't compete with a full-size axe, but it can certainly replace a camp axe if you don't mind beating it up a bit.

Dinner that night was bratwurst, sweet onion, baby garlic, and corn on the cob. :tu:

We spent most of the next day down by the creek. The weather was absolutely perfect, and the 4 of us had a blast together. I took a few pics of the scenery, but I was too busy having fun to take pics of anything else. ;)

When we came back to the campsite for the evening, Minion #1 decided he wanted to try using his Leap for kindling prep too. ;)

and keeping with what is quickly becoming one of my favorite traditions, dinner for our final night of the trip was Steak on a Stick. :D

the next morning was pretty simple -- just taking down camp, packing up, and making sure we left everything in better shape than it was when we got there. all in all, it was an awesome trip. I can't wait to go back. :)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: camping with Breezy and the Minions (pic heavy!)
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 09:44:21 AM
Looks like it was a great trip. Super photos too!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 09:50:22 AM
Mmm I want some of that grub! :gimme: great pics! Looks like a ton of fun!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 09:58:58 AM
Excellent thread buddy.  :cheers:  Dig the cap and shirts.  :tu:  Chaining minion #2 to the log is a bit rough though.  :pok:

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 11:02:55 AM
Ahh man this is great. I can't wait to start doing camping trips with my boys.

Good write up.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 12:11:30 PM
Looks like you guys had a great time, I'll be doing some camping with the family once the weather starts to warm up here. :D
darren

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 12:43:35 PM
Thanks for sharing.  :tu:

Looks like everyone had a great time.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 12:55:47 PM
Excellent thread buddy.  :cheers:  Dig the cap and shirts.  :tu:  Chaining minion #2 to the log is a bit rough though.  :pok:
No, this is the way he learns to finish, what he started >:D

Very nice, looks absolutely idyllic.
How do the Minions like the Leap? And did/do they use other tools aside from the saw?
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 01:22:09 PM
Great pics!  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 04:21:09 PM
Excellent write up and pics  :tu:.  These are times the minions will cherish as I know you do.  The shirts and hats are sweet and the boys faces tell the whole story of being with dad out enjoying themselves. 

Thanks for the Esee 5 pics, I tend to agree with you regarding the axe vs bad arse fixed blade.  I bring my small hatchets but tend to do most of the work with my Anza. 

Is there anything more delicious than camp foods?  The weather looked great and the camp site as well. 

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 05:19:55 PM
Very nice thread and great pics! Looks like you guys had a blast! Thanks for sharing.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 05:29:40 PM
THAT's my kind of eatin' there :tu: :tu:

When you go camping you go in style I see :cheers:
SAW

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 06:06:02 PM
Looks like it was a great trip. Super photos too!

+100
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 06:07:41 PM
Good to see everyone enjoyed themelves (especially the minions)  :tu:   :D
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 06:30:42 PM
thanks for the kind words, everyone! :) the Minions were EXHAUSTED when we got home, which is the sure sign of a great camping trip in my book. :D

No, this is the way he learns to finish, what he started >:D

Very nice, looks absolutely idyllic.
How do the Minions like the Leap? And did/do they use other tools aside from the saw?

I didn't even notice that the chain was visible in that picture. :rofl: :rofl: :facepalm: it was left there by previous campers; I'm hoping assuming that it was for a dog.

and yes, the Minions love their Leaps! I had given both of them a Style PS prior to this, but they liked the bigger feel of the Leap. I think I have a few more pics at home, but I know they used the scissors and the bottle opener (to help Dad out!) at the very least. I think Minion #2 used the tweezers on his as well. They also like to use them at home when they're helping me with yardwork, home projects, etc. :)

in case you're curious, neither of them have the blade installed on their Leap yet. I'm thinking another year or so for Minion #1.

Thanks for the Esee 5 pics, I tend to agree with you regarding the axe vs bad arse fixed blade.  I bring my small hatchets but tend to do most of the work with my Anza. 

I'm pretty sure I had my hatchet with me, and I know my brother had his, but I don't think either of them saw any use. :D

THAT's my kind of eatin' there :tu: :tu:

When you go camping you go in style I see :cheers:

no reason to make my tastebuds suffer just because we're outside! :D

ca Offline ba-ta

Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 04:57:25 PM
Man I miss camping.  Can't wait to take my own kids out. How does your 5 year old find the locks on the leap? Are they easy enough for him to disengage?  My oldest will be 5 by Christmas and I was thinking that a leap would be a good fit for him.
If it's stupid and it works..... 
It ain't stupid.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 07:52:43 PM
That looks like a fantastic trip!
Great pics!
Thanks for sharing!

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 06:26:48 PM
Man I miss camping.  Can't wait to take my own kids out. How does your 5 year old find the locks on the leap? Are they easy enough for him to disengage?  My oldest will be 5 by Christmas and I was thinking that a leap would be a good fit for him.

funny you should mention it... the 5 year old (he'll be 6 in August) had an easier time with the locks than his big brother did. :facepalm:

us Offline WILLIAM.M

Reply #18 on: August 08, 2015, 09:46:28 PM
Thanks for posting this

Looks like a Great outing!!!
DR.BILL

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: August 08, 2015, 10:55:27 PM
Looks like a great trip and great pics as well  :2tu:

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 06:24:47 AM
Great Pics  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69