Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Have you used a Multitool today?

Offline Cheviot

Have you used a Multitool today?
on: January 14, 2007, 08:11:16 PM
I have, several of them :laugh:

I had 2 sets of storage units to put together for my son's bedroom.

Usual IKEA construction wooden dowels and "coach screws" with a 4mm allen key drive.

Okay so which tool to use, well I started out with a LM Core to open the packaging, easy as expected.

Then after tightening 6 or 8 of the screws with the supplied "Allen" key I realised I needed a better tool, well my toolkits are at work so it fell to my LM Charge with the appropriate bit to tackle all the "coach screws". Not a problem.

Finally there are a couple of L shaped brackets to fix to the base and kicker boards, the instructions show an Awl and a Pozi/Phillips driver. Multitools at the ready.

Well the Charge doesn't have an Awl and the bit holders were fitted with Torx & Allen bits so I fell back to the Core.
The Awl worked fine and the Pozi driver on the Core is superb, nice and long, so no problems finishing the first unit.

As an experiment when it came to fitting the brackets to the second unit I thought I'd try my newly acquired Bucklite 355, the 3 sided/triangular Awl was superb, very sharp, but the 3 sided Pozi driver was another matter all together it constantly slipped from the screw head or tried folding up on me back to the Core to finish that bracket.

So for the final bracket I tried my Swisstool the Awl was perfect and the first screw went home easily with the Pozi driver, however the senond screw had to be driven at a slight angle and the Swisstool Pozi drive started to slip out, eventually drove the screwhome with the Core.

Job done and brownie points in the bank. ;)

Okay anyone else been active with a Multitool recently?

Rob
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Have you used a Multitool today?
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 08:43:35 PM
Does yesterday count as "recently"?
I had to change out a ballast in one of the flourescent light fixtures downstairs. (I was hoping it was only a burnt-out bulb, but no such luck.) The Gerber Diesel was being reviewed at the time, so I grabbed it to help out. Used the wire cutters to snip through all the leads on the old unit, then the Phillips screwdriver to dismount it from the fixture. Unfortunately, one of the mounting screws is in a very tight clearance area, and I had to resort to a single-purpose, dedicated, one use only screwdriver tool to get it loose. (Dang, I hate that.)

Remounting the new ballast was the same thing, in reverse order, with a couple of additional tasks: the knife blade for skinning the insulation off the new leads, and the pliers for twisting the bared ends of the wires together before wire-nutting.

Mission accomplished.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Cheviot

Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 08:49:41 PM
Bob,

yesterday definately counts as recently, especially as its a weekend!

Pity you had to spoil your day by resorting to a normal boring old screwdriver.

Rob
S

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 08:51:50 PM
I am ripping out the old grout from the tile in my bathroom and replacing it with some polymer strips I just got.  So far I have used a SwissTool (chisel after my scraper blade broke) a Juice (to get into the cracks to get stubborn little pieces out), an EVOGrip (Sak blade cuts like a laser) and a Micra to dig crud out from under my nails.

And that's just today!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline geoemt

Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 09:39:30 PM
Today I'm using the Minibuck Tool 350 to get rid of some old boxes that were just taking space inside my closet.

Guillermo
<

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 09:46:46 PM
I feel like such a loser.  All I used is my BO Wave to cut open a frozen pizza  :(
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 10:12:13 PM
It all depends on your perspective; would you rather remove old yucky grout from bathroom tile, or open up a pizza?

;)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 10:18:04 PM
You have inspired me- I'll be doing the pizza thing shortly!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 12:19:03 AM
I used my Spirit to break down some boxes today.  I also used it to open up some new rechargeable batteries.  I also will be opening up a Pizza here in a few minutes.  I guess it's multi & pizza day today.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 12:20:36 AM
Multipizza?

Mine had multicheese (4 kinds) on it...  does that count for anything? :P

Def

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 12:26:26 AM
I don't know... does a multiple cheese pizza conform to the standards for a multitool as were debated in the other thread?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 12:28:00 AM
I don't recall cheese being a factor in the definition of a multitool, but perhaps I missed that segment!

Def

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 12:44:44 AM
I used my BO Wave again while grinding the lanyard ring off my SAK Farmer. Now I'm going to eat this apple. :D
new.jpg
* new.jpg (Filesize: 47.58 KB)
"

Offline alces

Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 12:50:29 PM
Today: used my Spirit (and bit set) to unpack, assemble and install a HP rack server, change a network card to a PC, open a few mail packages and clamshell packs, tighten screws on display cables and such things. This is everyday work stuff. When I get home I'll probably need to use it around the house to install a couple of lights that the mrs. bought.

Oh, used my Vic. tourist to peel an apple and an orange.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 07:05:03 AM
Today I used my Spirit to...

Break down some more boxes
Open up a package
Open a can of Tomato Paste (it was my night to cook dinner)
Remove a nail that was stuck in my tire... (doh!)

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 04:49:57 PM
I used my wave this morning to open a package that contained my breakfast.  Multitools are good for food prep.  I use mine in the kitchen all the time especially when I dont feel like getting a knife from the drawer across the room. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%