Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cool old USA knives from local auction - Imperials

Offline cdv1962

I  just bought a bunch of Imperial USA knives from an auction.  I have seen these knives before, buit I figured someone will get a kick from these Cool old USA knives,  All these knives measure less than 3" closed.  Two of the knives have the FAUX pearl handles, the other knife may really have pearl handles, I       dunno.
ImperialTrio.JPG
* ImperialTrio.JPG (Filesize: 191.26 KB)
ImperialTrio02.JPG
* ImperialTrio02.JPG (Filesize: 194.2 KB)
ImperialTrio03.JPG
* ImperialTrio03.JPG (Filesize: 139.66 KB)
ImperialTrio04.JPG
* ImperialTrio04.JPG (Filesize: 153.84 KB)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Cool old USA knives from local auction - Imperials
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 12:24:03 PM
Old, carbon steel USA knives are really nice ! I have some older Schrade and Camillus and even after 50 years they ares till solid... unfortunately, during the past couple of years they have become "vintage, collectible etc" so the prices are silly on eBay.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 06:39:17 PM
I like the look of those CDV  :drool:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 06:47:11 PM
Lovely knives. :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 07:07:51 PM
 8)    8)    8)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 07:09:37 PM
i really like those little knives. The availability of good carbon steel was plentiful in the Imperial factory.  Maybe its because the blade is so thin but they take a very very sharp edge.

These were bargain knives sold in plenti pak cardboard holders at the hardware store for $1.99. 

The drawback is the snap on scales. Ive found that once the scales start rotting the knife gets loose and goes sour

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 08:01:23 PM
Very nice!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 03:11:50 AM
Apparently, celluloid tends to get "sick" over time, and will spread to other celluloid knives.  I have three or four with celluloid scales, and I separated them from each other and put them in different shelves as I'm so paranoid that this issue will happen to me and spread to the knives if one gets bad celluloid.

Those are some great looking Imperials with great looking scales!    The only Imperial I have had fake bone scales that I had to completely strip the brown paint and the clear coat off of as the knife was rusty and in such bad condition, and ended up with white scales. 

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 09:07:54 AM
some of the older ones where also known for catching fire, with no obvious reason or warning (due to heat, chemicals etc.), destroying the whole collection

The newer ones should, in theory, be safer.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 06:00:22 PM
some of the older ones where also known for catching fire, with no obvious reason or warning (due to heat, chemicals etc.), destroying the whole collection

thats bizarre

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 06:51:52 PM
This was one of the main reasons that celluloid is no longer used.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 11:21:50 PM
Then I must seperate these from each other on the display holster so they dont catch each other on fire or get each other sick
impdisplay.jpg
* impdisplay.jpg (Filesize: 165.63 KB)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 07:09:02 AM
Personally, I think the whole issue, though real, was exaggerated by many. It is not likely to happen, but, if you are the one that this happens to you will not take any comfort in that..

I would also suggest that you have a look in BF too, as there have been several discussions on the matter, with a lot more information and some details on materials used by specific brands.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 02:56:38 PM
The Imperials pose for a pic before being put in separate compartments.

The single blade model has a wide carbon blade and a half stop
imp2.jpg
* imp2.jpg (Filesize: 181.38 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 12:41:53 AM

Although real celluloid is a highly flammable material(it is made primarily from cellulose nitrate which is another name for gun cotton,camphor,and alcohol) I don't recall spontaneous combustion ever being a problem.I do remember reading somewhere that celluloid was manufactured and stored in buildings separated from the main factory and like fireworks makers the roofs of the buildings were hinged in case of an explosion the force would be directed upwards and not sideways causing the building to collapse.
  The real bugaboo of celluloid is that much of it will,when it starts to degrade give off nitric acid fumes which will not only rust carbon steel but will rapidly corrode brass(think pocket knife liners). I have had this occur in several of my knives and the only cure is to remove the original handles and replace them with something more stable.
  Strangely enough I have a couple knives that had a flawless handle on one side and the other completely disintegrated.
  The causes of the disintegration are widely discussed and no one seems to know exactly how or why this happens. Some feel that direct sunlight,heat,or exposure to petroleum products(oiling the knife pivots)or lack of proper ventilation all contribute to the problem but no one has ever conclusively proved anything.
  I have some that are nearly a hundred years old and in like new condition and have had one completely deteriorate in less than five years. I keep mine stored in an aluminum fishing lure box(with individual slots) with small dessicant bags(from pill bottles)in each slot and change them every few months.
  As for the original poster's knives;I wouldn't worry too much about them. They are what are known as,"shell handled" knives; that is a stamped metal handle with a thin sheet of celluloid over it. They rarely if ever out-gas but do have a tendency to shrink and crack somewhat. The solid handled one I do not think is celluloid but some other type of plastic.
I have enclosed a picture of several of mine.The second one from the top in the center dates from 1920 and is like new. A couple of the others have had the paper pictures under the handles deteriorate(mostly from oil contamination)but the celluloid is fine.
PictureHandledKnives 002.jpg
* PictureHandledKnives 002.jpg (Filesize: 66.95 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%