Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How Do I Polish SAK Scales

us Offline parman53

• I Can Fix Anything
How Do I Polish SAK Scales
on: June 29, 2015, 10:37:27 PM
I picked up a SAK cheap but the scales have a lot of marks on them. Probably from carrying it in the same pocket with keys and change. Any way  to buff the dings out?  ???

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Re: How Do I Polish SAK Scales
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 11:11:57 PM
I picked up a SAK cheap but the scales have a lot of marks on them. Probably from carrying it in the same pocket with keys and change. Any way  to buff the dings out?  ???

I use Mother's mag polish or Blue Magic metal polish, unless they need sanding, then 2000 grit or more first, then polish.  :salute:

us Offline Joe58

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 11:36:35 PM
I seem to recall someone suggesting toothpaste, but I can't be sure about that.
🇨🇭

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 11:43:44 PM
For clarification, these are celidor plastic scales, right?

us Offline parman53

• I Can Fix Anything
Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 12:02:32 AM
Yes, just standard red scales

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 02:13:39 AM
I've used several plastic plosher designe for car headlights to good result but i now use this:

http://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-7100-Plastic-Polish-Kit/dp/B002UCYRZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435623164&sr=8-1&keywords=novus

The kit works great. You might need to use some fine grit sandpaper if the scratches are too deep but if not, this should be enough.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 02:54:34 AM
I use sandpaper. Use the highest grit to get the scratches out. Then Just keep going higher in grit until you can polish them. I use plastic polish, after all the scratches are gone. If you start too low in grit you will be there a while trying to get the shine back. 

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 05:27:38 AM
I've used several plastic plosher designe for car headlights to good result but i now use this:

http://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-7100-Plastic-Polish-Kit/dp/B002UCYRZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435623164&sr=8-1&keywords=novus

The kit works great. You might need to use some fine grit sandpaper if the scratches are too deep but if not, this should be enough.

Just a GigaHz said about sand paper: start with #2 first, if it does not remove al the scratches,  try #3 and if not then try sand paper. I've found that I can get away from using sandpaper 50%-70% of the time. Either because I could remove all the scratches with the plastic polish or because the once I couldn't remove would require to much material removal wile wiping with sandpaper and would distort them.

I've found that as long as the scales are shiny I can tolerate some deep scratches. Its the light scuff marks and the dulness that I can't stand.

de Offline coSAK

• Mounted Swiss Army Knight
Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 05:28:13 PM
Does anyone have experiences with VuPlex?
http://vuplex.co
WANTED: Red Farmer, Red Harvester, Soldier/SI 1975, Genuine Horn scales, Wenger 19th Hole Cigar Cutter

Offline RedRamage

Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 06:45:15 PM
I got some micro mesh pads a while back and did a whole review on them for the old SOSAK site.  They worked amazingly well for me.  It takes a while to go through the whole series but the finished results were almost new looking.

Because I was trying to add some used knives to may collection that I was (Semi-)displaying I wanted them as nice looking as possible and the pads did a great job.   

I don't recall where I got the original kit from, but a quick amazon search turned up these, which look like the same thing:  http://www.amazon.com/MICRO-MESH-SOFT-TOUCH-SANDING/dp/B000H6EC4C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1435682514&sr=8-4&keywords=micro+polishing+pads&pebp=1435682528571&perid=1QQ1GXMRBEE1HSY5WWA8

Offline RedRamage

Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 06:50:28 PM
Hey, look at that... my original article is still online:

http://www.swissarmyknights.com/articles/2007/525-micromesh-and-scale-restoration

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 01:10:35 PM
I've heard of people using headlight polishing compounds, brasso, angel feathers, and #00000000000000000000000 grit sandpaper.

Me, I'd just spend $8 and get new scales. Slap them on. Done.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 03:23:10 PM
These ones are a PITA to replace.

Offline RedRamage

Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 04:00:02 PM

I've done a few times, but sometimes it's an older knife, or special design/color and replacement scales aren't cheaply available.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 06:17:00 PM
Use Mother's Mag Wheel polish from Walmart or Target.  Its not spendy, and one container will last for 19 years.  Apply to the scales with a Q-tip for a minute, or two and wipe off with a soft cloth.  Bingo.

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 07:26:32 AM

I've done a few times, but sometimes it's an older knife, or special design/color and replacement scales aren't cheaply available.

Although I agree with Shamus that its better to replace scales with new ones when possible (this is how far my modding skills get), there are a lot of "Collectible" scales that are not practical to replaced. I love Cellidro scales with metal inlay logos and polishing them is sometimes the only option.

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 07:28:16 AM
I got some micro mesh pads a while back and did a whole review on them for the old SOSAK site.  They worked amazingly well for me.  It takes a while to go through the whole series but the finished results were almost new looking.

Because I was trying to add some used knives to may collection that I was (Semi-)displaying I wanted them as nice looking as possible and the pads did a great job.   

I don't recall where I got the original kit from, but a quick amazon search turned up these, which look like the same thing:  http://www.amazon.com/MICRO-MESH-SOFT-TOUCH-SANDING/dp/B000H6EC4C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1435682514&sr=8-4&keywords=micro+polishing+pads&pebp=1435682528571&perid=1QQ1GXMRBEE1HSY5WWA8

Thanks RedRamage  :tu:, I'm ordering my set right now. I did find this kit that is a better value  :D http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ELH7AI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A7O51HGOUZ91S

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 10:07:06 AM
Progressively finer grades of wet and dry paper and finally some Brasso and a polishing mop works for me.  Only takes a few minutes.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%