Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Canada Day and M.S Norgoma.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Canada Day and M.S Norgoma.
on: July 02, 2015, 05:30:21 PM
Well I spent the morning of Canada day going to some celebrations. I was not interested in braving the insane crowds for the fireworks, opting to see the ones on TV from Ottawa. However, I was able to take a guided tour of the Lock Master's building at the Sault Locks...which is a rarity as they usually do not let folks see the old building (Now I know why, but more on that later).

Here is a photo of the western side of the Sault Canal. The International bridge in the background heads to Sault Ste Marie Michigan, our twin city.

Here we have the old administration and post office building. The last time I visited the building, it was a small museum/visitor centre/post office. Unfortunately, Parks Canada saw fit to remove all of that and make this beautiful building simply the administration building now closed off to public. Worse yet, the post office is now Kilo India Alpha. I heard it was mothballed for many years now. As a former stamp collector (still collecting first day covers), this news saddened me somewhat.

Now looking east of the canal.

Parks Canada has moved the visitor center and small museum to the old washroom buildings. They most certainly revamped the building, but also had to build an ugly washroom building now. The sign was pretty enough I suppose.

An info plaque.

Because it was Canada Day, the Parks employees wheeled out this little cart with free postcards, and Canadian flags. Time to party!

Well, not quite. We got there early, and thus, there was hardly anyone. In fact, the first guided tour consisted of both of us. That was a bit sad. I am happy to say that plenty of folks showed up later as we were leaving. Anyhow, the old Lock Master's residence is in sad disrepair. I am a bit surprised that they offered tours of the place as it is always locked up. Well now I know why, the building is in a shameful state, and the locks are considered a Parks Canada site...one would think the federal government would spend a little more money on their park sites.

http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=11300

Enough of that and onto what they placed inside. The guide told us they placed a few military memorabilia out for the  tours, and cautioned us not to touch any. I was a bit saddened by the designation of 50 calibre shells on one of the displays.

Besides the militaria, there was at least a very nice fireplace in the room.

In another room, they had a few old photos of when the house was in residence.

Here is the old building's version of a pager to call the servants.

The first floor wasn't so bad, but you could easily tell it wasn't maintained very much. The second floor told a different story altogether.

Here is the kitchen which I was told is still in use for school groups who do use the better shaped first floor rooms.

Stairs up.

And outside, looking at the nice cement patio and sun room.

And the front. The building looks very nice on the outside, but the conditions inside are a bit shocking.

Now off to the Roberta Bondar Pavilion...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 06:03:56 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Canada Day and M.S Norgoma.
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 06:02:11 PM
Now the Roberta Bondar Pavilion, which is located on the waterfront, is the location that the City usually sets off their fireworks at dusk. We went to take a closer look at the M.S Norgoma, a museum ship which is docked next to the Pavilion.

I felt I was slumming it today, as I was a bit taken aback at the condition of the Lock Master's building, I was expecting worse at the ship. See, the ship is a sort of museum that nobody appears to want. They charge 6 bucks for admittance fees, and that is the only way they generate money to maintain and upkeep the Norgoma. Needless to say, the ship has seen many a grim decades, with the city almost banishing the ship anywhere else but within city limits. That was a good 20 or so years ago. The fact that the M.S Norgoma is still floating is a testament to a small band of dedicated folks. I guess I am part of the problem as  the last time I was on her, was probably 30 or so years ago. My issue is that the ship never seems to be open whenever I want to board her for a visit. I guess I just stopped trying over the years. I had heard that it might be opened for Canada Day, and it was worth a shot to go see. I was right.

Inside the main deck, there was plenty of good info to be found here, many of which were on the nice big plaques hanging from the sides.

Here is a view just to the right when you enter the ship.

Moving more into the ship, and looking aft on the main deck which was used for vehicles, packets, and anything else that needed go from one point to another and didn't walk on 2 legs. You see that red and white buoy like column in front of the dingy. Those are self guided voice stations. There were about 13 of them places strategically around the ship. I found them to be quite helpful and made the visit more enjoyable.

Looking to the other side of the main deck.

There were many interesting Great Lakes marine items to be seen in the ship's museum.

These are pull/push carts for vendors who would ply the sides of the Canal during the days when the Canal was an important part of the Great Lakes Seaway System.

Plenty of info plaques.

A look at the engine one level below the main deck. No access to this region was available other than a look down from a chained off hatch.

More displays to be seen on the main deck.

Another vendor cart. I find these things rather neat.

A look back to the entryway hatch on the left...still on the main deck.

Towards the rear were the crew's quarters. These areas are poorly maintained if at all. The bunk rooms lack most of the bunks, and the washrooms, well...

Out of the crew quarters, and looking forward again on the main deck.

The main deck has a pair of these large winches one for and one aft.

Going one level up, things started to look a little more plush...but you can tell it has all seen its glory days ages ago, and the ship is rough all around.

cheap green golf carpet often held together by duct tape was used here. I cannot imagine how much nicer this ship would have been back in its prime. I get hints here and there however, which only makes its disrepair and appearance all the more saddening for it.

This was the small store or magazine where passengers could buy something to drink, read, etc.

Here is one of the passenger rooms.

More cheap green carpeting.

Here is the dinning room. This looks very nice and you can tell folks worked on this to bring it up to a higher standard compared to a lot of other areas.

The kitchen however is something else.

Towards the back of the kitchen, is this crews waiting room, where the staff would sit for a game of cards, or wait on their duties. I guess you could say this was their resting spot to keep them from mingling with the paying passengers.

Up to the third level, this meeting/dinning room. I guess this was the for the higher class passengers.

Because this level had extensive water damage sometime in the past, they had to tear out most of the passenger rooms and walls, leaving this larger rooms instead.

Towards the middle of the ship on the third level.

A long hallway on the third level. All of these rooms were off limits, and I can only imagine how they are probably all gutted waiting for sufficient money to renovate them in the future.

The lounge area at the front of the the third floor, towards the bow.

This is also the level with the life boats.

Here is the Roberta Bondar Pavilion.

Now off the ship, I headed towards the seating arrangement created inside the Pavilion. We sat down and listened to the opening ceremony which was held at 1 pm.

Nice geometric shapes. I couldn't resist taking this photo as some politician was waxing poetic about how excited he was in being here.

The end. I thought it wouldn't be all that interesting in taking photos of the politicians. Anyways, we left shortly afterwards. It was a good way to kill half the day.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 06:40:31 PM by Chako »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 06:15:36 PM
Wow! Thanks for the post!!!!!!!!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 06:59:15 PM
You are welcome. Here is a slideshow you might be interested in.

http://www.norgoma.org/Video/theship2.mp4

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 07:01:53 PM
Talk about a way to kill half a day. Thanks for sharing.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 07:06:23 PM
A bit more info on the Norgoma.

http://www.norgoma.org/history.html

:tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00