Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tick Prevention & Removal

Megan · 30 · 2432

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Tick Prevention & Removal
on: July 02, 2015, 07:46:27 PM
I am camping out in the backcountry this weekend.
Unfortunately, it is an area that's LOADED with Lyme-carrying deer ticks.
So much so that you'll have tons all over your clothes.

So help me guys. What's the BEST way/product to prevent these suckers?
And what's your favourite tool/way for removing them?

:bnghd:
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Re: Tick Prevention & Removal
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 12:14:40 AM
I had to look Lyme disease up. A bloody nasty thing it is!

According to Wikipedia;

... Prevention includes efforts to prevent tick bites such as by wearing long pants and using DEET. Using pesticides to reduce tick numbers may also be effective. Ticks can be removed using tweezers. If the removed tick was full of blood, a single dose of doxycycline may be used to prevent development of infection, but is not generally recommended since development of infection is rare. If an infection develops, a number of antibiotics are effective, including doxycycline, amoxicillin, and cefuroxime. Treatment is usually for two or three weeks. Some people develop a fever and muscle and joint pains from treatment which may last for one or two days. In those who develop persistent symptoms, long-term antibiotic therapy has not been found to be useful.

Protective clothing includes a hat, long-sleeved shirt, and long trousers tucked into socks or boots. Light-colored clothing makes the tick more easily visible before it attaches itself. People should use special care in handling and allowing outdoor pets inside homes because they can bring ticks into the house.

Permethrin sprayed on clothing kills ticks on contact, and is sold for this purpose. Insect repellents with Picaridin, IR3535, DEET, or oil of lemon eucalyptus repel ticks, as well.

Tick removal

Attached ticks should be removed promptly, as removal within 36 hours can reduce transmission rates. Folk remedies for tick removal tend to be ineffective, offer no advantages in preventing the transfer of disease, and may increase the risks of transmission or infection. The best method is simply to pull the tick out with tweezers as close to the skin as possible, without twisting, and avoiding crushing the body of the tick or removing the head from the tick's body. The risk of infection increases with the time the tick is attached, and if a tick is attached for less than 24 hours, infection is unlikely. However, since these ticks are very small, especially in the nymph stage, prompt detection is quite difficult. The Australian Society of Clinical Immunology recommends against using tweezers to remove ticks but rather to kill the tick first by using a product to rapidly freeze the tick to prevent it from injecting more allergen-containing saliva. In a tick allergic person, the tick should be killed and removed in a safe place (e.g. an emergency department of a hospital).

It seems to me the best way to prevent them is to avoid them  :ahhh Strong, precise tweezers sound nice to have and perhaps SAK pliers too.

(And if all else fails, you know what they say "kill it with fire") :D

Please take good care if you go there after all. Lyme disease can be chronic.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 12:42:01 AM
Coat your entire body in a think coating of Vaseline! :D  When offroading, I coat myself with a ton of bug spray that has a high deet content.  Wear long pants, tucked into socks, and stay away from bushes and long grass if possible.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 01:32:56 AM
DEET is your friend here and lots of it.

+1 on long pants tucked in and long sleeves if it's not too hot. Tick check before you go to sleep. Tweezers for removal and some antiseptic wipes.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 06:58:41 AM
a hotel... 

:D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 06:59:33 AM
...the spork ninja....

:D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 07:54:54 AM
Make tar salve or oil, apply to your skin and maybe on clothes. Works for mosquitos too. Makes your skin soft, and it is antiseptisk.

Or buy repellent spray.

There is tick tweezers, that you can remove it safe way. Not squeesing it, and leaving its head in.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 08:12:40 AM
Permethrin will kill ticks on contact as well as many other insects.  This product is applied to your clothing, bedding, and tents which will provide protection even after washing those items. 

https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin-premium-insect-repellent/
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 02:38:04 AM
+1 for Permethrin.
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 10:08:55 PM
Prevention;"
Deet 40% or higher. Pay attention to the label a lot of so called "Max, Outdoor, and Woods"   repellents only have 25%. Unfortunately these tend to be the more popular brands. People wonder why they don't work yet still buy them. Good marketing and name recognition I guess.

Removal;
Heat up a pin with your lighter and burn the tic's but, it will generally let go and hop off. If you don't have a pin but do have a business card or playing card; slide that under the tick to protect your skin, then apply flame directly. Be careful. I've used this way a lot over the years.

or

Those suction type snake bite and sting removal kits seem to work ok, not the greatest but ok. They do seem to potentially offer a way of removing an embedded head if it breaks off during tweezing. But I haven't had to try.

I've been meaning to get a "Tick Key" to try out but haven't so if anyone knows if they work let me know.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 10:11:02 PM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 12:14:58 AM

I've been meaning to get a "Tick Key" to try out but haven't so if anyone knows if they work let me know.

i got a tick key to use on my dogs, it hasn't worked so well for me but that is probably me rather then the tool. i haven't tried it on a person, might work better.

i wonder why products like "spot on" for dogs/cats aren't used on people ?
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

Offline wayne10mm

Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 02:32:03 AM
Look for the tick key its better than tweezers & keep sawyers with u to keep then at bay

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

us Offline getahl

Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 03:48:14 AM
I've had good luck with DEET, not so much with that lemon-eucalyptus schtick. The Uncle Bills tick tweezers seem to work pretty well for manual removal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 08:45:45 PM
So I slathered my body in Watkins Lotion to ensure the Ticks didn't latch on.
http://www.mec.ca/product/5014-875/watkins-insect-repellent-lotion-240-ml/

And then I sprayed my ankles, hands and Grant's Tilley (he let me borrow it) with Ben's!
http://www.mec.ca/product/5002-013/bens-30-wilderness-insect-repellent-pump-spray-37ml/?q=bens

The mosquitoes were thicker than water and the ticks were plentiful.
I ended up with only FOUR mosquito bites over the weekend. No tick issues.
My friend Sarah ended up COVERED in bites. She used Deep Woods Off. I did very well.
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 08:47:17 PM
And then I sprayed my ankles, hands and Grant's Tilley (he let me borrow it) with Ben's!
http://www.mec.ca/product/5002-013/bens-30-wilderness-insect-repellent-pump-spray-37ml/?q=bens
That may or may not have made me LOL a little.  :rofl:

Sick bunch here at MT.O!!

:facepalm:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 08:49:47 PM
That may or may not have made me LOL a little.  :rofl:

Sick bunch here at MT.O!!

:facepalm:
Great minds... or in this case, "great" minds...

:rofl: :facepalm:

P.S.: Also, I had to look up what a Tilley is...
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 03:56:30 AM
Ya Deep Woods Off is one of the so called maximum strength brands that only has 25/  Deet. Yet it sells really well despite not working as well as other higher content brands like Repel which puts it's Deet percentage in big orange numbers on the front label.
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 09:05:23 AM
Looks like you are back Megan

But I'll post my tip for tick removal anyway.

If you do get an embedded tick - Aparently if you smother him in Vaseline on your skin - He backs out as he cannot breathe.
This then gets around the propblem of leaving his head (and potential poison etc) embedded in your skin.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 09:40:13 AM
Looks like you are back Megan

But I'll post my tip for tick removal anyway.

If you do get an embedded tick - Aparently if you smother him in Vaseline on your skin - He backs out as he cannot breathe.
This then gets around the propblem of leaving his head (and potential poison etc) embedded in your skin.
You can any oil for this, I personally use glue.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 09:51:14 AM
I find the easiest way to get rid of ticks is to put your wrist watch away.  :facepalm:

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 07:43:02 PM
I find the easiest way to get rid of ticks is to put tuck your wrist watch away.  :facepalm:

Fixed that for you  ;)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #21 on: May 08, 2016, 08:16:04 PM
Preventing Tick Bites
While it is a good idea to take preventive measures against ticks year-round, be extra vigilant in warmer months (April-September) when ticks are most active.

Avoid Direct Contact with Ticks
Avoid wooded and brushy areas with high grass and leaf litter. Walk in the center of trails.

Repel Ticks with DEET or Permethrin
Use repellents that contain 20 to 30% DEET (N, N-diethyl-m-toluamide) on exposed skin and clothing for protection that lasts up to several hours.

Always follow product instructions. Parents should apply this product to their children, avoiding hands, eyes, and mouth.

Use products that contain permethrin on clothing. Treat clothing and gear, such as boots, pants, socks and tents with products containing 0.5% permethrin. It remains protective through several washings. Pre-treated clothing is available and may be protective longer.

Other repellents registered by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA):
https://www.epa.gov/insect-repellents/find-insect-repellent-right-you

Find and Remove Ticks From your Body
Bathe or shower as soon as possible after coming indoors (preferably within two hours) to wash off and more easily find ticks that are crawling on you.

Conduct a full-body tick check using a hand-held or full-length mirror to view all parts of your body upon return from tick-infested areas. Parents should check their children for ticks under the arms, in and around the ears, inside the belly button, behind the knees, between the legs, around the waist, and especially in their hair.

Examine gear and pets. Ticks can ride into the home on clothing and pets, then attach to a person later, so carefully examine pets, coats, and day packs.

Tumble clothes in a dryer on high heat for an hour to kill remaining ticks. (Some research suggests that shorter drying times may also be effective, particularly if the clothing is not wet.)

Source
http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/avoid/on_people.html

More Information
http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/index.html

Video: Don't Let the Ticks Bite!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79yHZqdF3FI
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 08:53:26 PM by Rico-2 »

hr Offline styx

Reply #22 on: May 08, 2016, 08:51:41 PM
apparently this works too
tick repellant.jpg
* tick repellant.jpg (Filesize: 59.04 KB)
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #23 on: May 08, 2016, 09:04:47 PM
Tick Removal
If you find a tick attached to your skin, there's no need to panic. There are several tick removal devices on the market, but a plain set of fine-tipped tweezers will remove a tick quite effectively.

How to remove a tick
Use fine-tipped tweezers to grasp the tick as close to the skin's surface as possible.

Pull upward with steady, even pressure. Don't twist or jerk the tick; this can cause the mouth-parts to break off and remain in the skin.

If this happens, remove the mouth-parts with tweezers. If you are unable to remove the mouth easily with clean tweezers, leave it alone and let the skin heal.

After removing the tick, thoroughly clean the bite area and your hands with rubbing alcohol, an iodine scrub, or soap and water.

Dispose of a live tick by submersing it in alcohol, placing it in a sealed bag/container, wrapping it tightly in tape, or flushing it down the toilet. Never crush a tick with your fingers.

Avoid folklore remedies such as "painting" the tick with nail polish or petroleum jelly, or using heat to make the tick detach from the skin. Your goal is to remove the tick as quickly as possible--not waiting for it to detach.

Image showing how to remove an embedded tick with a pair of tweezers.

Follow-up
If you develop a rash or fever within several weeks of removing a tick, see your doctor. Be sure to tell the doctor about your recent tick bite, when the bite occurred, and where you most likely acquired the tick.

Content source
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (NCEZID)
Division of Vector-Borne Diseases (DVBD)

http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/removing_a_tick.html
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:06:09 PM by Rico-2 »

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #24 on: May 08, 2016, 09:11:25 PM

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: May 08, 2016, 09:38:39 PM
apparently this works too

There are good reports that lemon eucalyptus oil is comparable to DEET in repelling mosquitos and biting flies.     
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 03:51:49 AM
The latest technique I've read about (but thankfully not had to use yet) for removing ticks, is the "instant freeze" method. 

You use a freeze off warts product (a very cold, localised spray) which supposedly freezes the tick immediately, thus preventing it from injecting any more nasties into you (or your dog's) body, then you just scrape off the frozen tick (checking that the head hasn't remained embedded).

Like I say, I haven't used it yet, but it seems logical.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 04:42:33 AM
If you have ticks like we do here in Tennessee I feel for you :ahhh I can walk around in the yard and pick a few up sometimes :(  These are some good ideas for repellents thanks guys :tu: Also if you are out and are going to get back to a car or you are close to home you can use one of those disposable sticky lint rollers on your clothes and that will get them off your clothes as well :tu: My wife always keeps one in the glove box and we always have a couple or more at home :cheers:

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #28 on: May 09, 2016, 05:07:54 AM
The latest technique I've read about (but thankfully not had to use yet) for removing ticks, is the "instant freeze" method. 

You use a freeze off warts product (a very cold, localised spray) which supposedly freezes the tick immediately, thus preventing it from injecting any more nasties into you (or your dog's) body, then you just scrape off the frozen tick (checking that the head hasn't remained embedded).

Like I say, I haven't used it yet, but it seems logical.

I prefer fine tipped metal tweezers. They are light-weight, very compact, cheap, and last a lifetime. And you can use them for splinter removal, wound cleaning, handling small screws or hot items, etc.

But you should cap them securely, and carry them in a plastic container or plastic bottle, because they could cause a serious puncture wound if you fall.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:09:10 AM by Rico-2 »

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #29 on: May 09, 2016, 05:14:10 AM
If you have ticks like we do here in Tennessee I feel for you :ahhh I can walk around in the yard and pick a few up sometimes :(  These are some good ideas for repellents thanks guys :tu: Also if you are out and are going to get back to a car or you are close to home you can use one of those disposable sticky lint rollers on your clothes and that will get them off your clothes as well :tu: My wife always keeps one in the glove box and we always have a couple or more at home :cheers:

Don't touch ticks. And avoid places where ticks can climb on you.

You should pave your garden, or you risk life-long disablility by Lymes disease.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%