Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Plier Changes

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Re: Leatherman Plier Changes
Reply #30 on: July 28, 2015, 04:42:21 AM

Very interesting change. I wonder what made LM make this change?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: July 28, 2015, 07:33:45 AM
Someone asked about the date on their surge....I cant find it
I know where it is on my STs and Waves etc...but I cant find it on the Surge (JUST got it 10 days ago from the LM store in Portland)

See this post for a pic showing the new location of the date code on a Surge.

us Offline Its Hard To Know

Reply #32 on: July 28, 2015, 02:22:42 PM

03/15 Surge here

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: July 28, 2015, 03:04:53 PM

03/15 Surge here

Which version plier head, fine or coarse?

us Offline Its Hard To Know

Reply #34 on: July 28, 2015, 08:29:20 PM

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: September 12, 2015, 02:58:27 PM

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #36 on: September 16, 2015, 01:41:46 PM

BO Wave is date 0914 and the stainless one is dated 0412

One thing I've noticed with the newer production is there's a lot less pressure needed to release the handles from the open position. The friction method used to keep them in position is as great.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: September 16, 2015, 01:49:38 PM
Thank you Dunc.  :cheers:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #38 on: September 16, 2015, 02:57:43 PM
I'll jump on the dogpile; my 10/14 dated Surge also has the finer teeth.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: December 29, 2015, 09:20:52 AM
I recently noticed a few differences with the Rebar plier heads.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: January 04, 2016, 07:01:58 AM
Signal plier head: larger ends, tweezer tip, finished sides.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: April 22, 2016, 03:16:54 AM
Do you happen to know your datecodes for those Rebars off hand zoidberg? Wonder when this change occurred :think: Most people will never notice but we have to keep up with that kind of stuff here :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: April 22, 2016, 05:28:47 AM
Do you happen to know your datecodes for those Rebars off hand zoidberg? Wonder when this change occurred :think: Most people will never notice but we have to keep up with that kind of stuff here :D

For the most part Rebars don't have date stamps because they showed through to the outside.
The one with vivid on it came from Eth, the other one was from a Rebar with the early version file.
The Signal is dated 0615.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: April 22, 2016, 05:36:39 AM

For the most part Rebars don't have date stamps because they showed through to the outside.
The one with vivid on it came from Eth, the other one was from a Rebar with the early version file.

:doh: I knew that about the Rebars. I am guessing the change on the plier heads was early to mid 2015 though. Does that sound about right? :D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:38:34 AM by Poncho65 »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: April 22, 2016, 10:57:21 AM

:doh: I knew that about the Rebars. I am guessing the change on the plier heads was early to mid 2015 though. Does that sound about right? :D

I don't know really, would have to troll through some older threads looking for info.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: April 22, 2016, 01:54:54 PM

I don't know really, would have to troll through some older threads looking for info.

I was going by the dates in this thread more than anything.  Seems as though all the ones here anyway are from about March 2015 on.  I will have to do some snooping myself :tu:

us Offline pitbullz4me

Reply #46 on: April 22, 2016, 04:57:02 PM
05-15 Surge here, and it has the coarse teeth. I think I prefer the coarse teeth on the Surge because it is supposed to be a heavy duty model. If I need fine teeth I always have my Charge TTI with me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: April 24, 2016, 11:13:11 AM

I was going by the dates in this thread more than anything.  Seems as though all the ones here anyway are from about March 2015 on.  I will have to do some snooping myself :tu:

Sorry mate, I got confused between the fine to coarse change and the other changes.   :facepalm:

Fine, latest date:
0914 Wave
1014 ST3
1014 Surge

Coarse, earliest date:
0215 ST3
0315 Surge
0315 Wave

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: April 28, 2016, 04:29:50 PM

Sorry mate, I got confused between the fine to coarse change and the other changes.   :facepalm:

Fine, latest date:
0914 Wave
1014 ST3
1014 Surge

Coarse, earliest date:
0215 ST3
0315 Surge
0315 Wave

I know what ya mean :D A lot of that stuff I forget as well thanks for the info :cheers:

So I guess we can assume at least February 2015 they made the change in the plier heads. Also it was at least after October 2014.  That gives us November to February when the change happened.  If some others with datecodes in that time would be able to tell us which of the style plier head they had that would narrow it down even more :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 05:01:38 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #49 on: May 12, 2016, 03:56:45 AM
I received a stainless Camo Charge TTi with 0614/0614 date code with fine jaw teeth today. I also have a BO Camo Charge TTi with 0214/0614 date code with coarse teeth. Both are Secusion 3D Camo.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: May 12, 2016, 04:12:40 AM
I received a stainless Camo Charge TTi with 0614/0614 date code with fine jaw teeth today. I also have a BO Camo Charge TTi with 0214/0614 date code with coarse teeth. Both are Secusion 3D Camo.

That would have been assembled quite a few months before the other dates.   :think:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:16:18 AM by zoidberg »

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #51 on: May 12, 2016, 05:12:32 AM

That would have been assembled quite a few months before the other dates.   :think:

I can only reckon mid-2014 was the transition period. At least for the old-style, medium size pliers.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: May 12, 2016, 04:42:20 PM

I can only reckon mid-2014 was the transition period. At least for the old-style, medium size pliers.

Plus take into account they probably take parts from a large bin and that is where the transition periods get kind of fuzzy :tu: thanks.for your info chrono :cheers:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #53 on: August 06, 2016, 10:33:14 PM
I notice that with the coarse-serration pliers, the handles come in closer when closed, and flex a bit, compared to the old fine-serration ones. This is my observation on a pair of new-plier ALX Charges. I am not sure about full-serration pliers on Wave, Charge AL... 

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #54 on: May 18, 2018, 06:45:10 PM
     This might be old info now but I did not see any mention of it in the thread. The pliers no longer rub when opening and closing as the plier is just slightly thicker where the pivots are. Has anyone noticed if that coincides with the new teeth? Just sharing something I noticed on a late model regular wave and I think it carries over to the plus. Sorry if old news.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: May 18, 2018, 07:36:50 PM
Don't know if that is old news or not :salute: I hope they have fixed the plier head rub :tu: I don't have any new Waves or Charges to check so hopefully this carries across to all of them :like:

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #56 on: May 18, 2018, 10:27:55 PM
     i noticed it on a YouTube review of the wave plus and checked a newer wave and it was the same.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #57 on: May 18, 2018, 10:50:02 PM
I have 2017 Wave and the pliers rub slightly

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #58 on: May 18, 2018, 11:49:55 PM
     I am not sure if it is the plier thickness or a thin washer that makes it appear thicker in the pivot area. If it is a washer perhaps they are omitted once in a while and cause rubbing. I recently did a disassemble and cleaning of a late model gen 1 wave and it has no washers on the outside tools pliers or the inside tools other than a spacer on the scissors.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: May 20, 2018, 09:43:50 PM
Hi Tsquare,

my first Sure (0716) had coarse teeth already and the pliers were rubbing on the handles inside a lot.
They were a pain to deploy.
After some light use the plot pivot developed play which affected the wire cutters. So I figured sent it in for warrantee.

I've got a new Surge back (1017) which does not rub on the handles inside (just very slightly).
I don't know if the pliers are any thicker. Instead I think the handles angles are bent more accurate maybe.

There are no washers between the pliers and the handles. But there are 2 copper washers between each outside tool and three handles.

My Wave (0117) also with coarse teeth also does not rub on the handles inside (just very slightly).
The handles metal is definitively bent more accurately than the 2011 Wave I had before (got also replaced due to too much play in the pliers pivot).

:salute:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:55:46 PM by MTMatt »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44