Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

[CLOSED] It's all in the notch - Leatherman Rebar - 9th Anniversary Giveaway

enki_ck · 114 · 5707

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
The nice folks from Portland have been good to us again this year and sent us a lot of tools, flashlights and merchandise to give to you, our loyal members. :D

Not that you don't have it bookmarked already ;) but just in case, here's a link to their site.

www.leatherman.com

We'll start off with the very cool tool, that has a big fan base around these parts, the Rebar. :woohoo:
http://www.leatherman.com/rebar-8.html#start=5

One lucky member will win this one in a weeks time.

What do you have to do to win it you ask? Simple, tell us what you use the wire cutters for the most, what type wire you cut and how your EDC multitool performed so far at the job.

No need for lists, our OCD Squad will have enough work as is this month. I'll just gather all the entries next Monday, make a list, check it twice :P , randomize it and draw the winner.

As all giveaways hosted by MTO, this one is open worldwide. Winner will be drawn on the 13th at 20:00h CET (server offset time).

Good luck. :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 09:22:51 PM by enki_ck »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Thanks for the opportunity, that's a great tool!

Well, I have had to do some small electric repairs at home (lighting mostly, some appliances, too). I have several pliers at home, so don't exactly use an EDC tool. I used to carry a Leatherman Style PS and it worked great at the office, getting some small computer wires removed while taking parts from one machine to another. Also it works pretty well when cutting and bending paper clips to make some small belt clips or phone stands and the like.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 01:12:19 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
I typically use the wire cutters for standard household wiring jobs. So they are usually working on solid copper and occasionally, stranded copper wire. So far, my EDC tools have performed well in these tasks but it is easy to see which tools have damage to the plier heads (or poor tolerances) when cutting the stranded wire.

Thanks for the GAW and chance to play!

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Great GAW of a great tool.
Passing on this as there are bigger fans of the Rebar here.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
I already have a Rebar, so someone else should win this...

I mostly use my wire-cutters for bike-brake cables... and yes, the Rebar does well at that :salute:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
REBAR??  :ahhh

Love my ST300, so its little brother would be AWESOME to have!!!!

Soooo....  I tend to use the wire cutters to cut zip ties more than wire.  When I do cut wire, it's usually stranded automotive wire.  The ST300 generally cuts the wire with no problems at all, as do most of my MT's though.  My TTi cuts the smaller stuff fine, but the cutters are not big enough to easily cut heavier gauge wire.  The same goes for the SwissTool.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club

I mostly use my wire-cutters for bike-brake cables... and yes, the Rebar does well at that :salute:

That's not an excuse, you can give this one to your significant other. :pok: Or a friend and draw him in to the plier people faith. >:D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Very nice of LM to hook us up at MTO.
Best of luck everyone!

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Great GAW. Thanks Leatherman and MTO.
I use the wire cutter whenever I need to cut down a coat hanger. That wire makes an excellent material for all sort of fixes around the house.
I also use the wire cutter when I make the pot support legs for my lightweight alcohol backpacking stoves.
http://blogericious.blogspot.com/2014/10/alcohol-stove-my-latest-iteration.html
Those legs are made usually from an old 2mm stainless bicycle spoke, and are very tough to cut. A rebar does that job nicely with its hardened cutters.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice

That's not an excuse, you can give this one to your significant other. :pok: Or a friend and draw him in to the plier people faith. >:D
I would, but I have no friends...

... but I have enemies...
My EDC is a Spirit RT, main wire-cutter task is cutting brake-cables (I really don't need wire-cutters that often) and it performs like no other... and if I win, send the Rebar to Nikola >:D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
... and if I win, send the Rebar to Nikola >:D

That might be considered conflict of interest ... but what the heck ... [GAW CLOSED] ---> Beat is the winner. :whistle:

>:D

au Offline SAKchief

Cool GAW.

I usually cut stranded wire with my BO spirit. Though it isn't the best tool for the size of wire I use.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Pretty awesome GAW right here! As I already have a Rebar, if I were to win another, I'd give it to my Brother to complement the Vic Huntsman that you guys helped me choose for him for his birthday a while back! I actually use my Rebar cutters a fair bit around the house. Just yesterday I used them to trim some solid core copper wire whilst installing done new light fittings.
darren

us Offline rescue4500

Finally a GAW that I have a shot at. I usually use my wire cutters to either cut wire while rewiring water heaters and well pumps but also have used them to cut zip ties... I use my wave cutters pretty much daily and so far after two years of work they still work just fine
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
First, this is an awesome give-away. The Rebar has maybe been the tool I've been most impressed with in the last year.

I've used the wire cutters most for light electrical work, like having to rewire a light switch, cutting the 12/2 and 14/2 wires.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Great Give Away,  thank you Leatherman, and thank you MTO staff.

I use my wire cutters for cutting Cat 5 / 5e / 6 Network cable, and grounding cable for electronic equipment.
I also use the Rebar pliers for stripping the plenum on network cables if I do not have a cable stripper with me.

My EDC rotates,  but the Rebar head does just fine,  some times it takes a little knife work to help,  but it has not let me down.
If I can help, let me know 

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Thank you for a chance.

I often cut zip ties, then stranded elecktrical wire. Once had to cut bicyckle brake wire.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Awesome giveaway!! Thanks Leatherman and MTO :D

I often use my wire cutters to cut zip ties and those nylon cable straps often binding various products together. ALSO, I use wire cutters to cut the price tags off new merchandise.

:cheers:
SAW

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Nice giveaway many thanks.
Mostly zipties and around the household fixing. And every now and then brake cables  on the bicycle.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Not entering.

Thank you Leatherman for a very sweet tool.  Good luck to all. 

I'm not a huge user of the wire cutters on my MTs  Recently tho I did have to cut wire hanger and I was very impressed how well my Wave handled it.  My ST300 and Surge have performed flawlessly when I have needed them for similar cutting.
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline av8r1

I use my wire cutter to cut steel safety wire and copper electrical wire. My original Skeletool worked flawlessly.  My warranty replacement Skele will soon be on its way back to Portland.  The cutter jaws drag heavily and the hard wire notch doesn't overlap so it won't completely cut most things.
I've been in Electrical class for the last few weeks, and I've been carrying my custom Style ES (a tool Leatherman should make), and it does a great job with small gauge wire.
Awesome give away!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 05:58:18 PM by av8r1 »
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Thanks LM and MTO for the GAW!  (Couldn't come up with any more acronyms there...)
As far as what they're most used for, it would be electrical repairs around my house.  Lately, that's been light switches and outlets, and trying to repair my AC unit outside.  Although, more exciting maybe, I also use wire cutters on my ST300 to cut brass rods for SAK mods and repairs, which it handles excellently.  I'd like it better if I did more SAK work and fewer repairs...

bg Offline N_N_R

Anoooother awesome giveaway !! :tu:

*not entering though* because i for myself figured I don't use full size/even pocket size/ tools much, I'm weird :shrug:

Good luck everyone :D :D

:nothingtoadd:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
I use the wire cutters for cutting wire (only copper wire) and zip ties. Mostly I use the LM mini and it performs excellent for the size.  :multi:

And of course thanks to the LM for the tool.  :cheers:

There is no magic therefore gadgets!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Great giveaway - thanks Leatherman. :tu:

I use the cutters for brass rods and copper wire mostly, with the occasional cable tie and bits of stainless wire.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Sweet GAW, I use the cutters for zip ties, copper wire and guitar strings on occasion . The cutters on all my Leathermans have held up well except my original PST which doesn't have the hardwire notch.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 05:35:51 PM by SteveC »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Not entering  :salute: just wanted to say thanks to MTO and LTG for another great anniversary giveaway  :drink:

For what it's worth, I generally only tend to cut gardening wire with my wire cutters. It's very rare they get used for much else

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

be Offline Top-Gear-24

If that's the case, I'm in ... (my oldest son has been eyeballing my Rebar for some time now ...  ::)).

A big thank you to the nice folks at Leatherman USA for their generosity  :hatsoff:.

My most carried tools are my Swisstool, my ST300 and my Rebar.  And most of the time I use the wire-cutters for zip-ties and steel safety wire, but I have to admit that I don't use them often.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
I mainly use the ST300, for various types of wire, thin and thick.
For stranded wire I use the special tool on the inside of the pliers head.
No problems so far  :salute:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

no Offline Grathr

Great GAW!
Thank you Leatherman and MTO for the chance!

I mostly cut electrical wires and   copper rebar binding wire.  The wave in my car or the pst in my backpack usually cuts it without trouble.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%