Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I the BG ultimate MT and the Gerber Suspension MT the same thing?

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
 :think:

* image.jpg (Filesize: 5.26 KB)

* image.jpg (Filesize: 4.99 KB)
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Yep, pretty much.  There is another BG tool that is based on the Strata.  MUCH better tool.  I like the Strata a lot, while I once broke a Suspension handling it in a store.......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

au Offline TheDude

Did you have pay for it? And then claim the warranty straight away? Or did you just  :whistle: and.... :think: walk off? I had a Strata then swapped it. Right before developing a habbit for Gerber. Sometimes I think of buying another one.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 03:56:31 PM by TheDude »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Different scales, different price tag...:whistle:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Did you have pay for it? And then claim the warranty straight away? Or did you just  :whistle: and.... :think: walk off? I had a Strata then swapped it. Right before developing a habbit for Gerber. Sometimes I think of buying another one.

I just put it down quietly and walked away.  ::)  As to the Strata, I say get one.  Very underrated tool around here.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.

I just put it down quietly and walked away.  ::)  As to the Strata, I say get one.  Very underrated tool around here.

We are going to need full story on that devil...

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Simple.  I was handling one at Dick's Sporting Goods when I was first looking at getting an MT.  I opened the blade, and when I went to close it I heard a click as the lock mechanism broke and the other tools swung out of the handle.  Managed to get them closed, and opened the pliers.  A much louder snapping sound when I squeezed the pliers closed, and one handle half fell off.  I folded it up, set it on the counter, and backed away slowly.......  :facepalm:  That experience kept me away from Gerber for a while.  Fortunately I took a chance on an MP450 in my first ever trade on here, and the rest is flicky history........

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
following the J-sews tradition of breaking multitools just by touching them....
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Yep, pretty much.  There is another BG tool that is based on the Strata.  MUCH better tool.  I like the Strata a lot, while I once broke a Suspension handling it in a store.......

I second the suggestion of getting a Strata instead of a suspension. The "normal" strata has replaceable wire cutters, the BG one not, but I do like the sheath/firestarter/light combo.

If you are inclined to get a Suspension, I can let you have one cheap. But I´d rather see you get a MP400 or MP600.

au Offline TheDude

I second the suggestion of getting a Strata instead of a suspension. The "normal" strata has replaceable wire cutters, the BG one not, but I do like the sheath/firestarter/light combo.

If you are inclined to get a Suspension, I can let you have one cheap. But I´d rather see you get a MP400 or MP600.

Thanks LT. But I think I sold you my original strata. :think: Almost burnt by Gerber's inconsistances, I went and bought an MP600 which kept the flame burng and thus an addiction to Gerber tools. :oops: Currently I have 6 or 7. I just didn't like the plasticy feel of the strata. :pok:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 06:22:29 AM by TheDude »

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
It´s possible that the Strata in my off-day carry Skinth P3 MT once was yours. It lives there with a small AAA LED light (i3?)and a short Pilot Gel pen and gets tossed in my pack when I don´t wear my MP 600.

I just wanted to offer you a Suspension in case you NEED to test it for yourself. It would be a shame to pay retail on one and be disappointed later.

00 Offline cool123

There look and feel is alike but they have a different blades and obviously different priced.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club

Thanks LT. But I think I sold you my original strata. :think: Almost burnt by Gerber's inconsistances, I went and bought an MP600 which kept the flame burng and thus an addiction to Gerber tools. :oops: Currently I have 6 or 7. I just didn't like the plasticy feel of the strata. :pok:

It's funny how each of us has preferences regarding feel and comfort regarding knives and MTs.  Personally for me, I'm 180 degrees from showing much love to the Suspension (or the BG version); I love Strata's and gave a Suspension away shortly after receiving it as a X-mas gift last year.

I keep a Strata ready for work/weekend duty and have two others in vehicles and/or packs.  A used Mr. Pinchy lives in my sailbag and replaced an MP400 that I lost overboard while sailing.  Mr Pinchy is better than the MP400 in that I can flick it open in a flash, and it takes a beating. 

But I have an MP600 that's never seen the light of day...still in the box four years after purchasing   :facepalm:   ...it doesn't feel quite right; hence the Strata which I really like. 

Go figure...it's all about functionality, but mostly feel and comfort.  Find what fits you and go for it. 

:cheers:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
There look and feel is alike but they have a different blades and obviously different priced.

Apart from the replaceable wire cutters that I am aware of, what are the differences in the blades of the Strata vs. the Bear Grylls version? From the pics I have seen they look identical to me. same goes for the Suspension / BG Tool.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%