Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

[CLOSED] In Memory of Kit Carson #1 - CRKT M16 Giveaway

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
As you guys probably know one of the great knife designers and makers, Kit Carson passed away last year. :salute:

You can read more about him, and see a few other versions of the legendary M16 and M21 series of knives at CRKT's website under Kit Carson's name.

www.crkt.com/kitcarson

To commemorate him, CRKT has sent us a few of his M16s to give to you. :hatsoff:

These are special however, M16-13Z SS, Combo edged with "Tribute to Kit Carson 2015" etched on blade. You won't find these at the shops. ;)

Each knife enthusiast would be honored to have one of these. :tu:

As all of the MTO hosted giveaways, this one is open worldwide, and you don't even have to have a minimum post count.

But we will have to ask you put a bit of effort to get a chance to win this one.

Tell us a story of your first knife you bought. Which one was it? How did you like it and how long did you carry it? Do you still have it? Pics of it?

No need for lists, and you can post in the thread as often as you like, comment on other peoples stories, ...

I'll read through the thread and make a list of everybody who entered properly, randomize it and draw the winner in one weeks time.

This one is open till next Friday, the 17th of July, and will close at 20.00h CET (Central European Time - server offset time)

Good luck to all who enter and a big :hatsoff: to CRKT for their generous donation and fitting way to pay tribute to one of knife community greats, Kit Carson. :salute:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 08:27:15 PM by enki_ck »

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Re: In Memory of Kit Carson #1 - CRKT M16 Giveaway
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 07:09:26 PM
My first knife, was not a folding knife at all, but a fixed blade. Gerber profile. I was in WalMart with my mother as a young teen (likely 5 or 6 years ago), and I remember I'd been looking at my dads original multiplier recently, and I loved the outdoors. So I wanted a knife.

And of course, if you're gonna have a knife, you ought to have the hardest looking, full tangiest, fixed bladed, titanium nitride coated slab of steel you can find! Enter the sub $20 Gerber, perfect to talk a mother into buying.

Gotta say, I've drug trenches, hammered stakes, cut steaks, learned to sharpen on, thrown, I've beat this knife like no other. And yet, it's still rock solid. I'd trust my life to this knife any day. I just wish I could wrap the handle in paracord..
WP_20150710_004.jpg
* WP_20150710_004.jpg (Filesize: 290.15 KB)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 07:20:31 PM
My very first knife was given to me by my father when I was 6 years old. We were going summer camping at the time in Elliot Lake back in 81. It is a Stag Ireland hobo knife. Nothing expensive at all, which is a good thing because I used this knife for things no knife should be used for. I do recall playing in the sand with the blade, etc.

My first paid for knife is this Ruko Elite Japan knife. This was my dress knife during my High School years.

Yeah, I took better care of this one than my first. But then I was much older and more responsible...or so I like to think.  :D

Thanks for the chance. Much appreciated as it is truly a lovely piece.  :drool:  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 07:24:25 PM
The first knife I actually bought, way back before I knew much about knives, was a cheapo off-brand combo edged folder. Back then I didn't know what the law was, and that locking blades weren't appropriate for general carry. I still carried it and used it a lot, but was choosy as to when I'd put it in my pocket. It mainly only ever got used for light cutting, as I quickly figured out it might be a chuff to sharpen, and a while later invested in a fixed blade knife for the heavier tasks, and already had a Sheffield made slippy that I'd been gifted in my late teens for general carry.

After a while the slippies took precedence, and the locking folder got used less and less. I still have it though, and despite having a swathe of other knives and tools to choose from, I occasionally put it in my pocket for old time's sake. The edge isn't great these days, the paint has work off the aluminium handles a bit, but the rubber grips are still in tact and the ergonomics aren't bad for such a cheapo knife. In fact I might just put it in my pocket for the rest of today.

It's cheap and a bit rough round the edges, but it cut things. I even used the serrations for sawing up some garden canes once for marking out a friend's garden for having a driveway installed. When I see all the blathering on and on about what knives are best and what steel is best, I just need to think of my cheapo knife and how much cutting it did with very little maintenance, to remind myself how much twaddle is spoken on the net. A knife doesn't have to be mega expensive or some high tech steel to do the job, and the simple but effective Mah Liong #5 from CRKT is one of my favourite knives.

Many thanks to CRKT and MTO for the opportunity to win such a unique knife  :salute:
IMG_20150710_180146_800_600.jpg
* IMG_20150710_180146_800_600.jpg (Filesize: 23.33 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 07:24:39 PM
Wow! This is an awesome offer, even more so than all the other ones we've already seem here.

:tu: :tu:

I remember some of the knives I got as a kid. I remember (and still have) one of them. I'll try to get some pics. As for the first I bought, I probably lost it or just used the hell out of it.

For a while, I just carried/used some cheap (yet reasonably good) small one-blade pocket knives or SAKalike fakes. They didn't last much and weren't missed when gone.

I started getting more serious about knives more recently. Got some SAKs, Colts, Spydercos, Kershaws... I think the first in the more serious age was a tie between a Cold Steel Kudu and an Opinel nº8 (got them both toghether).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 07:26:26 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 07:25:11 PM
Amazingly generous giveaway from CRKT/MTO and a great rememberence for a great man. As I am sure there are people here who would cherish this more than me, I won't enter. I'd still like to tell about my first knife...
It was a knife disguised as a nailclip with the worst steel ever and an awful can opener, which I got because my parents wouldn't let me use the "pretty one".

What I really wanted was a real Swiss Army knife so bought a few years ago a rather expensive Chinese knock-off with poor tools, impossible to open and worst of all, when I dropped it from only a few cm, the scales just shattered. I gave the thing to my wife and she quickly lost it  :P

Two years ago, for my birthday, I wanted something different, so I asked for a swiss army knife, the cheapest one, only it to be full sized, shiny red and ORIGINAL.
First I got a Nylon Spartan which was .. ok... so I promptly returned it and got a shiny Cellidor Tinker... soo smooth, so shiny, so pretty...

Now, two years later, after meeting you, muppets, I have over 50 saks, a dozen multitools, all Opinels, a bunch of slippies and some Spydercos, but still the original Tinker doesn't leave my pocket.

Here is the first knife and the first "proper" knife:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 07:28:18 PM by Corwyn »
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 07:25:57 PM
It would be an absolute honour to win this.  :salute:  Huge thank you to CRKT, and of course, MT.O.

My first knife I bought...  :think:   Probably some fleamarket POS, that would have been tossed, or broke.  I won't class that (or any other crap knife though) as my first.  The first good knife that I bought was my Buck Vanguard.  I still have it, and after finding it again, still use and carry it. :)

It's easily one of my favourite fixed blades!!  I don't often carry fixed blades, but when I do, I have faith that it'll perform when needed.  It's a 1995 date code, and I would have bought it not too long after that.

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 07:35:19 PM
The very first knife I ever bought for myself was a large Sabre Barlow style folder. I remember it was in the case at the local Coast-to-Coast Hardware store for the princely sum of $6.99. My job at the time paid $2.35 an hour, so I had to save up! I wanted to carry it in my boot (it would fit just behind the outside of my ankle in the low quarter boots I wore at the time) but soon found out after buying it that it was VERY uncomfortable there, shifted A LOT (mostly ending up sliding onto the side of my foot - ouch) and, being of such high quality, rusted within hours. I had the knife for about a year, mostly carrying it in my pocket after the boot fiasco passed, but alas, our relationship came to an end when I thought it would be smart to use her as a throwing knife and try to stick it into a tree. About three throws into the adventure, my trusty, rusty Japanese beauty self destructed into several pieces. I buried her in the nearest garbage can shortly thereafter. The picture below was stolen off the interwebs because, shockingly, they're not made anymore :think:
$_35.jpg
* $_35.jpg (Filesize: 6.94 KB)
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 07:40:46 PM
First knife I bought for myself would be a Camillus fighting knife. This was my main camping knife for many years when I lived in Colorado. It worked excellent for all around camp knife. I still have it but it doesn't get used much these days.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 07:59:55 PM
The first knife I bought with my own money was this Mora. I do not know what model it is.  I think I was 8or 9 years old when I bought it.
It has been with me ever since and was my go to outdoor/fishing knife until I was 19.
As you can see it has seen quite a bit of abuse, and has cut me more times than I can remember.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 08:38:21 PM
Mi first Knife was a SAK, :climber: It was given to me by my father, I don't remember or knew what model it was, I was 10 years old, I can't use it much because my father  use it once and then lost it :facepalm:

So my first knife I bought was 18 year ago. It's a "survival" knife.  I use it once to cut a blister package and my finger. Still with me in the "collection"

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 09:39:32 PM
My very first knife was my dads Soldier... If memory serves right it had red scales and had a saw (so maybe it was not a Soldier after all :D)

I don't have much memories about it, but its an Alox SAK I'm sure I loved it :D

I would like to note, that I'm not entering. It is a very cool knife but I fear it would be stuck in my drawer and it deserves better...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 09:48:47 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 09:44:48 PM
First knife I ever had was a Vic Bantam gifted to me when I was 8. I still have it somewhere but it was never really carried. After that, the next real knife I got was also a gift and attached to a Charge XTi. I still have that one although I retired the MT to the safe as it has sentimental value. First fixed blade I ever bought myself was a Gerber Profile, bought cheap at the local MEC prior to a camping trip. It is beat to hell and I'm not sure what happened to it. First folder I ever bought myself was a Benchmade 551 Griptilian. I still have it in a box somewhere in the basement. It has seen plenty of carry and would have seen more if the handle scales didn't feel so cheap.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 12:20:46 AM
First off R.I.P Kit.  :salute:

Second, thank you CRKT for the generous giveaway and the chance to win this special knife. I'm sure we would all be honored to own it.

As far as my first knife goes it was a knock-off Victorinox Classic. I think my grandmother bought it for me when I was around 7 or 8. I used to carry it everywhere and it most likely sparked my knife addiction as I know it today. I still have it to this day, but is packed away. I have pics of it somewhere as well. My second knife was a Wenger Esquire (I think) and third was a Leatherman Micra which I very specifically remember cutting my finger with. Yes everyone the good Capt. was even shedding his own blood with blades back in the early days.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline cody6268

Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 01:05:30 AM
My grandfather's Old Timer Stockman, which was well worn but still usable, and I still carry it occasionally today.    It was the first knife I owned, and I still carry it. The first one I bought new, probably an Imperial China (before I had a habit of buying vintage used, all my other Imperials are USA or Irish made) or a rather small Coast lock-back pocket knife.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #15 on: July 11, 2015, 02:44:46 AM
One of the first real pocket knives that I remember owning was one of those blue handle scouting knives with bail. I went through several of these in scouts and it seemed like each new year I started out with a new one. I vaguely remember this knife as it's been like 30 years but one thing I do remember about it was the blade and implements were all very stiff (nail breakers) to open. In summary, it was not a very good knife.
SAW

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 05:50:56 AM
Thanks to MTO and CRKT for the special giveaway :salute:

My first knife (I'm assuming this is for folding blades or fixed blades) was the Leatherman Crater C33. I wanted one to be included in my MT/SAK combos for a OHO blade.  I got my wife and two daughter's initials engraved on the handle.  I carried it for a while, but it didn't really last long as I couldn't make up my mind about the items I carry (something I can still struggle with ;)) and ended up setting it aside.  I would likely carry it sometimes, but it's currently in storage.  I do love flicking OHO blades open and close, repeat constantly :D
K-Tibbs

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #17 on: July 11, 2015, 12:13:30 PM
Very nice! Thanks CRKT and MTO staff.
The M-16 was one of my first flippers. Great knife.
Not entering. Best of luck everyone.!

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 11, 2015, 01:04:14 PM
My first knife was one of those survival Rambo knifes with hollow handle. It was a piece of smurf. And I don't have it any more as it didn't survive my attempts at knife trowing. The first time I got it to stick in to a rotten dead tree the handle broke off and got launched back at me. Good thing it was hollow...  ::)

Ps: Nice knife so thanks to CRKT for sponsoring this GAW.  :cheers:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #19 on: July 11, 2015, 01:25:59 PM
Now I'm not sure which fist knife to talk about, because I've got lots of "first" knives, lol.

My very very very first one was .... when I was... 7-9 years of age... it was a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny blade on a nail-clipper :facepalm: I had gotten it somewhere and would hide it from my parents because... you know, how could a girl at the age of 8 carry a blade ?!

Then my next "legal, that is, with permission from mom, lol" knife was a long begged for butterfly knife, small, bought from some fair for about $2. But it was soooo precious for me. Of course, I carried it at school, hiding it from everyone, but it was there with me *goodgirl*

Then the next knife that I probably bought "myself" but with money given to me for lunch at school (ok, I've been saving it from several lunches) was another cheap Chinese Buck-like pocket knife.

And my last *first* knife is my Buck Spitfire, probably. That's the first real, good knife that I bought with my own money.

Thanks for the GAW, of course :salute:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 01:27:22 PM by N_N_R »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: July 11, 2015, 07:58:44 PM
Thanks for the GAW and wish him RIP.
JA from MN talked me into buying my first real folder 16 months ago, I still carry it every now and then.
For a lightweight EDC knife, I couldn't ask for more, it is very strong for its size..

Pocket Dump 150619.JPG
* Pocket Dump 150619.JPG (Filesize: 90.11 KB)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 08:09:50 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

nz Offline Henry

Reply #21 on: July 12, 2015, 12:49:06 AM
My first knife was a Victorinox Classic, bought as a gift when I joined cub scouts at the age of 7, I carried it everywhere, and then eventually I had it in my bag when we went on a family holiday. Customs took it away from me, and my Uncle who we were visiting replaced it with a Swisscard which I though was pretty damn cool, however I didn't really carry a wallet then so got another classic. My first folder I bought myself was an Opinel, bought while on french exchange with school in Annecy, France.
Surge, Wave, Rebar, Micra, C33x

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: July 12, 2015, 12:57:05 AM
Another terrific GAW  :salute:.

I'll sit this out as there are members who would cherish this knife much more than I. 

I dont recall my first knife  :think:.  I do however recall getting a hold of a Buck ( possibly a 110 ) in middle school.  I dont have it anymore sadly. 

Best of luck to all.  Thank you to CRKT and MTO. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #23 on: July 12, 2015, 02:56:27 AM
First, 

Thank you CRKT for a fantastic GAW.
Thank you MTO and staff for your efforts in putting this Anniversary on.

My first knife that I bought for myself was one of those 80s hollow handle "Rambo" survival knife   :rofl:
I was young, and I loved it :dd:

it was a piece of crap, since the knife tang barley made it into the handle, and would come loose all the time

If I can help, let me know 

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #24 on: July 12, 2015, 03:16:19 AM
I'm in please.  Thanks for the giveaway.

My first knife was a Gerber EZ Out.  I still have it, along with probably 100+ other knives.  But its what got me started.  It was (and the new model still is) just an entry level plastic handled knife with cheapy steel.  But I learned that even cheapy knives can do the job if given a chance.  The link below is the current model.  My older one does not have the skeletonized blade, but its basically the same knife.

http://www.agrussell.com/gerber-ez-out-serrated-blade/p/GE6751N/

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 12, 2015, 04:37:22 AM
Thanks for the generous giveaway!
The first knife I bought was a cheap combo folder that had rubber in the handles. Still have it, gets some use for the ugly jobs around the house.  "My" first knife was a blue scout knife like sawman mentioned, though my dad would only let me use it when we were out camping or something.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #26 on: July 14, 2015, 07:29:38 PM
This Marttiini 250/2 is the first knife I bought, used it through my military service and I still have it over 20 years after, still sharp as ever :D

"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #27 on: July 14, 2015, 07:58:00 PM
As a kid i always carried my fathers Marttiini knife. Used it all the time. It was easy back then, we lived on a farm and knife was allways needed. One day my father comes, and gives me and my brother Mora classic red wooden handle knifes. My brother did not carry his so much, but when we walked woods together, he might carry mine. That is how it got lost. So no picture of it.

Thank you for nice GAW.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #28 on: July 14, 2015, 08:54:11 PM
a hard one....

I have had many knives from a young age but the three I still see regularly are a SAK camper from the mid eighties which I think was bought in the airport, though I am not sure, a buck 110 style Chinese knife and a Japanese backlock, from the late eighties, which I see daily. The SAK and the Chinese one have seen use, but for some reason the Japanese one had the role of hard use/self defense etc knife, thus it was never really used  :D

I have posted various pictures before, and they are not especially rare/unique.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Offline mikekoz

Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 04:40:12 AM
  The first knife I can ever remember having was given to me when I was very young, maybe 8 years old, and it belonged to my grandfather on my fathers side. We were visiting like we did every year, and I was looking though drawers and came across an old Case knife. It was heavily worn but I thought it was cool. My grandfather was already passed at the time, so my grandmother gave it to me. I am surprised my parents let me keep it! Several years ago I was looking through some old tools in my tool box when I came across it! I could not believe it. I thought it was lone gone and have no clue how I did not really lose it over the years. I am 55 now and actually did some research on it a few years ago. Apparently this model was made during the 1940's. Here is a photo:

The first knife I can remember buying was this Buck 307. I think I was 17 or 18 at the time, and bought it at Kmart.

My dad passed away in 1988, but he must have also had a love for Case trappers. I also have his knife that he purchased back in the early 80's. Anyhow, this is a great thread and I have enjoyed reading these posts!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%