Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I don't know why I carry (too) many lights.

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
I don't know why I carry (too) many lights.
on: July 11, 2015, 08:07:00 AM
Every day I go to the office, I  carry these lights:

Black Fenix EO5 on my car keys
SS Fenix EO5 inside a pouch on my belt
Eagle tac Ti (2AAs) inside my manbag
Fenix LD20 in  my car's glove compartment

My place is not even having power shortages or blackouts, but I like carrying them.

Do you carry more than two lights, too?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 08:51:41 AM by Teofilo »

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: I don't know why I carry (too) many lights.
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 08:53:40 AM
I do, but just because I can't decide which is my favorite light and which one to carry :facepalm:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 09:19:17 AM
You are missing a headlamp.  :ahhh

I carry multiple flashlights and I'm proud of it.  :)

Still, wouldn't mind another one or two to play with though.  :D

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 09:24:56 AM
You are missing a headlamp.  :ahhh

I carry multiple flashlights and I'm proud of it.  :)

Still, wouldn't mind another one or two to play with though.  :D

Ahh flashaholics we are! :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 03:42:17 PM
I also carry at least 2 lights on me.  Its better to have a spare light with the same battery than carry the battery alone.   
Esse Quam Videri

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 04:05:05 PM
I also carry at least 2 lights on me.  Its better to have a spare light with the same battery than carry the battery alone.

That's been my eternal dilemma, carry two lights with the same battery or one light and a spare battery?

Have you thought about the pros & cons of both ideas?  :think:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 04:56:29 PM

That's been my eternal dilemma, carry two lights with the same battery or one light and a spare battery?

Have you thought about the pros & cons of both ideas?  :think:

I've reasoned that if a given situation arose where I would need my light ( black out ) and I was with someone I could give the other light to that person.  I also like the idea that if light #1 should become unusable then I'd still have a usable light.  I try to choose two light with different outputs and beam patterns. 

I have my Thrunite Ti ( single mode ) and Foursevens Atom ( dual mode ) on my most times.  The magnetic tail on the Foursevens is such a terrific addition IMO where hands free usage is nice plus it's really so small vs AAA battery it just makes sense to carry it. 

I've seen battery "locker" that are larger and IMO they just dont make sense vs carrying a small AAA light. 

My other combinations include Olight I3S and Preon or Thrunite.  I know many dont like the strobe but since its hidden I dont mind it at all. 

Just my 2c.   
Esse Quam Videri

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 05:59:55 PM
Yeah, thanks :tu:

edit:

.... wrote something stupid  :facepalm:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 12:17:40 AM
 :rofl:

Not only those reasons but I also just like AAA lights  8)
Esse Quam Videri

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 09:02:15 AM
Yeah, I also love them and I've always tried to find a reason to carry two of them, lol. But then my weird mind tells me: why carry two lights, carry a light and a baaaaaaaaaaaattery.

But then I think, what IF I do something, unscrew one of the lights and drop the head or something somewhere where it can't be retrieved for the moment. Having just another battery then will be of no use..

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 04:20:18 PM
Yeah, I also love them and I've always tried to find a reason to carry two of them, lol. But then my weird mind tells me: why carry two lights, carry a light and a baaaaaaaaaaaattery.

But then I think, what IF I do something, unscrew one of the lights and drop the head or something somewhere where it can't be retrieved for the moment. Having just another battery then will be of no use..

Exactly.  Why carry just a battery  :think:. To me it makes no sense with the size of AAA light being made.  I also feel the same about AA lights as well.  Having 2 lights with different features also makes sense to me.  I have a one mode AAA light and a 3 mode AAA light that are great compliments to one another. 

Now if we are counting lights I actually have a fauxton on my car keys as well  :whistle:.  Having a coin cell its easy to carry a spare in my wallet so this is the exception.   
Esse Quam Videri

sg Offline Dr Hunt

Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 09:04:47 AM
I carry more than 2 light tools. Photo Mirco Light on Keysmart, Nitecore Tube on suspension clip and other items, Gerber Cortex Compact (takes AA and CR123).

Agree with Aloha007's thoughts on 2 complementary torches over 1 torch with spare battery. One faulty torch with good batteries can be a frustrating situation to deal with. Two is one and one is none!   
Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need- Miyamoto Musashi ce.1645

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 10:49:20 AM
OK, Aloha and Dr Hunt have convinced me to carry an extra light on my trip next week, not just a spare battery.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 11:25:22 AM
OK, Aloha and Dr Hunt have convinced me to carry an extra light on my trip next week, not just a spare battery.

Which one will it be? :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 12:40:47 PM
I own too many, but don't carry too many  :D I'll often have a main light in the pocket, and a back up on the keys. I also have a couple of lights in the car too. Very occasionally I'll also have a neck lanyard which has yet another AAA light, an alox rambler, a true utility telepen, and a pair of uncle bills silver grippers

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 03:21:13 PM

Well I'm carrying this as my main light:

Don't ask me what it's called, I can't remember and it's packed at the bottom of a dry bag ready for transport.  Something ending in _____Fire*. :-[

But to act as a battery carrier and back-up I've gone with my Gerber Infinity.

*Edit - Found it.  It's a Trustfire z2
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:27:29 PM by Gareth »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 04:07:26 PM
Cannot go wrong with the Infinity  :salute:

@Dr Hunt I like your style and thinking :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 04:11:29 PM
To me lights and knives are the two most useful tools you can have on you. I am always amazed if I see an EDC dump that doesn't contain at least one of each. I have lights stashed everywhere.
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 04:20:14 PM
To me lights and knives are the two most useful tools you can have on you. I am always amazed if I see an EDC dump that doesn't contain at least one of each. I have lights stashed everywhere.
Well, almost everybody has a smartphone with decent flashlight built in. For many, including me, that is enough.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 04:24:08 PM
Well, almost everybody has a smartphone with decent flashlight built in. For many, including me, that is enough.

I see a lot of people using their cells for lights.  I would think a button light would be better ( battery drain on cell ) also what if you needed your light for an extended period of time? 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 04:48:02 PM
As the ole saying goes 'its better to have it and not need it then not have it and need it'.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 04:57:26 PM
That's a fair point TBH.  In that case I'm actually taking three lights. :D

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 04:58:15 PM
Thanks, Gareth, interesting light :D "Something ending in -Fire" is an awesome description :rofl: :D :salute:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: July 22, 2015, 05:00:29 PM

I see a lot of people using their cells for lights.  I would think a button light would be better ( battery drain on cell ) also what if you needed your light for an extended period of time?
Agreed on all aspects. But I extremely rarely need a light, I also don't use my smartphone much, so empty battery on my smartphone is a non-issue.

I carry a light too, if circumstances warrant it (for a night hike, as an example) but these circumstances are the exception, hence a light (apart from the one in my smartphone) is not part of my EVERY DAY carry. The only exception is the Midnite Manager I occasionally EDC.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: July 22, 2015, 05:01:35 PM
As the ole saying goes 'its better to have it and not need it then not have it and need it'.
Yeah, but I'm still young ::) and my saying is "If I don't have to carry everything I can walk faster and be home before dark!"

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: July 22, 2015, 05:05:28 PM
Thanks, Gareth, interesting light :D "Something ending in -Fire" is an awesome description :rofl: :D :salute:
Thanks. :D  The TrustFire z2 is a cracking light, especially given the low price.  Three modes plus two flashing and mode memory, with the option of tight spot or total flood.  Also has a magnetic base if you find that handy.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #26 on: July 22, 2015, 05:31:22 PM

Well I'm carrying this as my main light:
(Image removed from quote.)
Don't ask me what it's called, I can't remember and it's packed at the bottom of a dry bag ready for transport.  Something ending in _____Fire*. :-[

But to act as a battery carrier and back-up I've gone with my Gerber Infinity.
(Image removed from quote.)

*Edit - Found it.  It's a Trustfire z2

:cheers:
I have 7 or 8 of the Gerber Infinitys including Red (for astronomy use) and 2 Milspec Infinity M's....they are pretty good lights, not very bright but tough and run a very long time on 1 AA. A nice little personal light.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: July 22, 2015, 06:08:32 PM

Agreed on all aspects. But I extremely rarely need a light, I also don't use my smartphone much, so empty battery on my smartphone is a non-issue.

I carry a light too, if circumstances warrant it (for a night hike, as an example) but these circumstances are the exception, hence a light (apart from the one in my smartphone) is not part of my EVERY DAY carry. The only exception is the Midnite Manager I occasionally EDC.

Terrific option.  My cell sadly seems to be always running on empty.  I try to leave it in my truck but with kids and a business to run it may as well be surgically installed.

Carrying a light for an intended purpose, hiking, checking under beds ( small children hear scary things at night ), or going to an evening event ( parking vehicle in lot with limited lighting ) is a just as good as having one on you at all times. 

Esse Quam Videri

sg Offline Dr Hunt

Reply #28 on: July 23, 2015, 03:16:44 AM
Cannot go wrong with the Infinity  :salute:

@Dr Hunt I like your style and thinking :tu:

Thanks Aloha.

For my friends who have the preference for using cellphone light and going light(weight), I give them a small light between 5-45lumens, they usually keep it in the edc bag or bring it along only when they travel.

I believe in having a solid light source for people who work/travel a lot in the night, especially the ladies. It provides security of knowing what is around and also a last resort self defense tool.
Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need- Miyamoto Musashi ce.1645

us Offline David Quevedo

Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 03:12:59 AM
    I don't believe there is such a thing as "too many lights"; but I'm a died-in-the-wool flashaholic, with a large assortment of lights from which to choose lol.  While not at work, I on-person EDC these lights (minus the HC50 headlamp.  That's stored in an Audio Technica microphone bag and goes in my pack. 

Left to Right:
  • Thrunite T10 - original cool white twisty
  • Thrunite T10 2014 Edition - neutral white twisty/clicky
  • Nitecore EA11
  • EagleTac P20C2 Mk II
  • Solarforce L2P host with Sportac triple Nichia 219 2-mode drop-in
  • Armytek Dobermann XP-L

While at work (since I'm not allowed to wear cargo shorts, and can only belt carry one item, which is always my iPhone 5S), I only on-person EDC the P20C2 Mk II (pocket-carried, clipped to my left front pocket), and the rest go in my pack (which I am aloud to have, at arm's reach, thank goodness), along with others (on occasion), like a Fenix E50 (beautiful T6 tint), a Solarforce L2N with a 5-mode XM-L 7C (extremely warm tint), and/or a Nitecore CB6 (XP-G2 R5 tint, and Blue emitters, as well - very nice light,that I got on a great sale, a while back.

I also have a large selection of Solarforce hosts with various different tints and user interfaces, so I sometimes also carry a Maxpedition FR-1 Medic bag, which accommodates 6 of those lights, easily.  I usually do this only when I have the option of throwing that in a duffel bag or something, along with some of the heavy hitters.

Nope - absolutely no such thing as too many lights.  Enjoy the selection, and don't let anyone give you a  hard time, just because you like to have options at your disposal.  After all, the light that's most useful, is the one that's readily available, right?

When I have the option of, both, pocket/belt carrying on-person lights, and have the pack, I go crazy and pack whatever suits my fancy, based on what my anticipated needs will be - especially when I travel, or even take a trip out of town for the day (to a family member's house, or whatever), just because I can :P

If you want multiple tint options and other interface options, multiple light carry is a must.  It's not for everyone, though - especially not the minimalists out there.  I am, most definitely, NOT a minimalist, when it comes to flashlights, or knives lol.[/list]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:15:48 AM by David Quevedo »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD