Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I don't know why I carry (too) many lights.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: I don't know why I carry (too) many lights.
Reply #30 on: September 09, 2015, 05:35:24 AM
David,

Nice display of EDC lights there, any particular to choose EagleTac P20C2 Mk II as the on-person light?  I only read about the brand, how does their stuff perform in a long term?

Cannot go wrong with the Infinity  :salute:

@Dr Hunt I like your style and thinking :tu:

Thanks Aloha.

For my friends who have the preference for using cellphone light and going light(weight), I give them a small light between 5-45lumens, they usually keep it in the edc bag or bring it along only when they travel.

I believe in having a solid light source for people who work/travel a lot in the night, especially the ladies. It provides security of knowing what is around and also a last resort self defense tool.

I think that's a kind and very useful gesture to give friends/relative lights, I do the same and often give AAA lights to them as well. :)  But one thing I'd never tell them is to use the light as self defense tool, like a kubaton or flash-to-blind, just don't want to induce any kind of false hope, and instead asking them to avoid the dark alley shortcut altogether.

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #31 on: September 09, 2015, 03:37:00 PM
any particular to choose EagleTac P20C2 Mk II as the on-person light?  I only read about the brand, how does their stuff perform in a long term?

The EagleTac lights do look good. But when I saw they were proudly RoHS that was a deal killer. I have an e-friend who is a famed electronics repairman living in England. He explained to me RoHS requires the use of lead-free solder in electronics. Lead-free solder has a problem over time, typically around 10 years, as the metal in the solder forms crystals and whiskers that eventually connect parts of the circuit that weren't designed to be connected, shorting out and causing the device to fail.

He assured me it's not if, but when. I looked around the net and did see a lot of info on the topic. The manufacturers love it because they get government-mandated planned obsolescence. That's fine for companies who sell to government employees and agencies because those guys (typically) maintain their equipment and get rid of it before it fails. After all they're spending other peoples' money.

RoHS is bad for the environment. The pro-RoHS lobby crows about how there's no lead in their solder and how that's good for the environment and of course that's true. What they don't want to talk about is the terrible effect on the environment from millions of tons of dead devices made from lead-free solder piling up over time. It's all an underhanded game about making a business by selling products designed to fail and they really don't give a rat's hindquarters about the environment.

10 or so years from most electronic devices is now longer than many people expect to use them. But to buy something that's engineered to fail? I'm not having any of it. As long as there is an option to buy non-RoHS products I will never buy anything RoHS.
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline David Quevedo

Reply #32 on: September 09, 2015, 05:20:35 PM
You are missing a headlamp.  :ahhh

I carry multiple flashlights and I'm proud of it.  :)

Still, wouldn't mind another one or two to play with though.  :D

Ahh flashaholics we are! :cheers:

Oh yeah  :tu:

us Offline David Quevedo

Reply #33 on: September 09, 2015, 10:45:27 PM
David,

Nice display of EDC lights there, any particular to choose EagleTac P20C2 Mk II as the on-person light?  I only read about the brand, how does their stuff perform in a long term?

Thanks for the kind words!  The reasoning behind choosing the P20C2 MkII was, I wanted to replace my TX25C2 (a wonderful powerhouse of a 18650 compact light that I was pocket carrying, while at work - but that I lost :-) ).  I had purchased that one, used, for a fantastic price, on Candle Power Forums MarketPlace, and couldn't bring myself to pay full retail (nearly a hundred bucks) for a new one.

I almost NEVER buy any light at full retail.  I wait for a sale, or buy them, used, but in pristine shape, usually from reputable sellers.

I had purchased  T200C2 (a more powerful, and slightly less compact light) on eBay, but it ended up not working at all.  It had been advertised as new, by a private seller (from whom I had never purchased before), but had clear wear marks on it.  I tried everything I could (changing out batteries, cleaning, re-greasing the threads, cleaning the contacts, etc. but no joy).  I ended up getting a refund through PayPal Buyer Protection. 

I also bought the P20C2 MkII on eBay, very reasonably priced, and it actually was new.  I wanted something with good (flexible modes), and had previous good experiences with EagleTac, so I figured it was a safe bet.

My first EagleTac purchased, was a D25LC2, which is still going strong - three years later.  Very tough light, but the throw isn't great, because of the orange peel reflector, super small head, etc..  It's more of a flood light, than anything.  The TX25C2 was definitely a pocket rocket.

Anyway, when I received this new P20, I loved it (not as much as the TX25C2, but enough to warrant carrying it, at work), and I've been EDCing it, since. 

I realized, only after receiving it, that it was a 17650 light (as opposed to all my other 18650 lights; but I happened to have an EagleTac 17650 battery at my disposal; so it was kind of a mixed blessing.

I tend not to like the 17650 platform, because the battery capacity is much lower than that of a 18650 battery; but the smaller (thinner) battery also meant the light was going to be easier to pocket-carry, and that particular model also had available interchangeable drop-ins (like a T6 - one of my favorite tints), so that made it a very flexible light/host (albeit it with proprietary drop-ins.  It also came with a nice screw-in diffuser (nice touch).

The only other negative experience I ever had with EagleTac was the new MX25L3C (6 Nichia I bought, on a fantastic sale), when I realized that not all the modes worked properly; but after finally getting through to the seller, by phone, they immediately shipped me a new one (which worked perfectly), and also shipped me a postage-paid return envelope, so I could ship back the faulty one, on their dime.  They took care of me, and I was a happy camper.  Excellent service!

Anyway my experience with EagleTac lights has been positive, and I'd gladly buy more of their lights.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:53:45 PM by David Quevedo »

us Offline David Quevedo

Reply #34 on: September 09, 2015, 11:01:31 PM
any particular to choose EagleTac P20C2 Mk II as the on-person light?  I only read about the brand, how does their stuff perform in a long term?

The EagleTac lights do look good. But when I saw they were proudly RoHS that was a deal killer. I have an e-friend who is a famed electronics repairman living in England. He explained to me RoHS requires the use of lead-free solder in electronics. Lead-free solder has a problem over time, typically around 10 years, as the metal in the solder forms crystals and whiskers that eventually connect parts of the circuit that weren't designed to be connected, shorting out and causing the device to fail.

He assured me it's not if, but when. I looked around the net and did see a lot of info on the topic. The manufacturers love it because they get government-mandated planned obsolescence. That's fine for companies who sell to government employees and agencies because those guys (typically) maintain their equipment and get rid of it before it fails. After all they're spending other peoples' money.

RoHS is bad for the environment. The pro-RoHS lobby crows about how there's no lead in their solder and how that's good for the environment and of course that's true. What they don't want to talk about is the terrible effect on the environment from millions of tons of dead devices made from lead-free solder piling up over time. It's all an underhanded game about making a business by selling products designed to fail and they really don't give a rat's hindquarters about the environment.

10 or so years from most electronic devices is now longer than many people expect to use them. But to buy something that's engineered to fail? I'm not having any of it. As long as there is an option to buy non-RoHS products I will never buy anything RoHS.

I'm not sure how to respond to this.  I guess I'll let you know, in another seven years, how my lights are working out...?  Except, by then, I'll probably have moved on to nicer, more powerful, more efficient, smaller lights.  Lights are very much like computer equipment.  The technology advances so rapidly, it's  hard to keep up.

Flashlights (and most electronics, like TV sets, computers, microwave ovens, etc.) can be recycled properly (It means making a trip to your local sanitation facility, but is worth the trip), so I'm not too worried about it.

I'd be more worried about the countless primary batteries (leaking alkalines, etc.) that are filling up landfills, because most people don't dispose of them in a safe and environmentally friendly manner.  I have not bought an alkaline battery in at least three years, nor do I ever intend to, again, if I can help it.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: September 10, 2015, 09:59:53 AM
David,

Thanks for the detail reply! 

I was once a pretty active flashaholic until around 2004, and I can vividly remember the landscape is no where as completed as nowadays.  Back then, it was the world of luxeon and luxeon alone, Korean leds were just coming into picture.  Fenix and 4sevens were really new(I even got a special Ti flashlight model from Fenix as a fellow Chinese flashaholics).  Electronic multi-modes flashlight could mostly be found in mods by talented modders or small production, and starting to regularly appear in Chinese brands, while two-staged resistor tailcap were still popularly used, especially for SF legos.

Fast forward a decade, sometimes I will go to local tool market to check out the newer models and brands, and there is so much variety that keep my jaw floored for hours.  Different form/shape/modes/material/feature we could only once dream of is now available.  And I bet the market share of Chinese flashlights have been dramatically different too.  But like all things manufactured, I grow up using Maglights and can vouch for its quality and service, and I only hope the newer brands we are familiar nowadays can stand the test of time, and proven to be not just products in quantity, but quality products.

Thank you for the write up, and durability aside, it does have to environmental impact come to think about it.  The intention should be good, but the result deviate from expectation and may even worsen the situation.

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #36 on: September 10, 2015, 03:57:00 PM
Flashlights (and most electronics, like TV sets, computers, microwave ovens, etc.) can be recycled properly (It means making a trip to your local sanitation facility, but is worth the trip), so I'm not too worried about it.

It is important for everybody to recycle electronic stuff but many people live where there is no such facility and the vast majority of people don't recycle. They simply trash what breaks. So while it helps for people to be environmentally aware it does not change the reality that stuff is going to be thrown out when it breaks or gets outmoded, so the best insurance against that is engineering things to last and be repairable like I remember they used to do.

I'd be more worried about the countless primary batteries (leaking alkalines, etc.) that are filling up landfills, because most people don't dispose of them in a safe and environmentally friendly manner.  I have not bought an alkaline battery in at least three years, nor do I ever intend to, again, if I can help it.

That is a very good point. Especially with eneloops being so good and long lasting, there is not much reason for people who live where good rechargeables are are cheap and plentiful to use alkalines. However, most of the planet lives where even simple things like eneloops are cost prohibitive (even if we get a good sale price, shipping and customs duties and penalties make it not worth it) so until the economics change what you mentioned is going to continue to be a real problem.

Lithium rechargeable and primary battery disposal is also an issue. There have been a few very serious fires documented to have been caused by discarded lithium primaries and both types are an environmental hazard. I hope it gets to the point communities make provisions for disposing and recycling etc. of this kind of stuff is easy and free for everybody to participate in. I hope it doesn't get like oil disposal where people in many places who used to do their own motor oil changes no longer do so because they have no legal way to dispose of the used oil, or because recovery fees at auto parts stores make it financially infeasible.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 04:01:37 PM by rebel »
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline David Quevedo

Reply #37 on: September 11, 2015, 07:29:37 PM

It is important for everybody to recycle electronic stuff but many people live where there is no such facility and the vast majority of people don't recycle. They simply trash what breaks. So while it helps for people to be environmentally aware it does not change the reality that stuff is going to be thrown out when it breaks or gets outmoded, so the best insurance against that is engineering things to last and be repairable like I remember they used to do.

That is a very good point. Especially with eneloops being so good and long lasting, there is not much reason for people who live where good rechargeables are are cheap and plentiful to use alkalines. However, most of the planet lives where even simple things like eneloops are cost prohibitive (even if we get a good sale price, shipping and customs duties and penalties make it not worth it) so until the economics change what you mentioned is going to continue to be a real problem.

Lithium rechargeable and primary battery disposal is also an issue. There have been a few very serious fires documented to have been caused by discarded lithium primaries and both types are an environmental hazard. I hope it gets to the point communities make provisions for disposing and recycling etc. of this kind of stuff is easy and free for everybody to participate in. I hope it doesn't get like oil disposal where people in many places who used to do their own motor oil changes no longer do so because they have no legal way to dispose of the used oil, or because recovery fees at auto parts stores make it financially infeasible.

Points, well-taken, my brother.  I, too, hope, for the good of our planet, that provisions are made, in the near future, to provide viable ways of properly disposing of batteries (and oil, and all other potentially hazardous waste, for that matter), so everyone can partake.  We have to think about what we're leaving behind for our children, and their great grand children.

It's definitely worth the effort.

ca Offline Miknitro

Reply #38 on: September 22, 2015, 04:25:11 PM
Myself I carry an average of three.
Nitecore MH20
Olight S30RII
Olight S10R
Sometimes a Fenix E12 too.

When weather allows for jackets, lights usually increase to around five on me at any time.

Keychain lights I'm not big on, they seem big on me..

Just kidding ☺

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69