Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wirestrippers and screws

pobs · 9 · 1772

gb Offline pobs

• New User
Wirestrippers and screws
on: July 13, 2015, 11:45:27 AM
Hi,like most people, I have always been looking for that perfect keychain. But being a tightwad, I usually give up my research when I realise nobody sells my perfect multitool. I go home empty handed. I have decided to change my spots and actually buy something this time. I hoped I could pick your brains.

I dream of pliers on a keychain. I am an electronics and old-school computer guy. I love the idea of the ES4 for saving my teeth when I don't have a knife for wire stripping. My main concern is that it does not seem to have a small screwdriver for spectacle repair (or equally doing up the small screws on the horrible TV aerial connectors we have in the UK). The crosshead screwdriver also looks poor for computer screws.

The ES4 is not easy to find in the UK, boosting the price. Does anyone know of any other keychains with wirestrippers and pliers, or can anyone tell me the ES4 can do spectacle screws?

Thanks! I know it is a big ask for a first post.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Wirestrippers and screws
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 11:56:39 AM
Hello and welcome...

You might wanna have a look at the Swiss+Tech products, e.g. the "Micro-Plus® EX 9-in-1"
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 12:41:56 PM
I'd supplement an ES4 with a Utili-Key. Or with one of those ultra tiny keychain screwdrivers, 39$ glasses or Zenni Optical sends then out free with new glasses: they are Philips and flat head at opposite ends, the screwdrivers cover with screw-on parts, and everything attaches via a small chain to your key ring.
Just like this, but free...
http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Screwdriver-Keychain-Precision-Eyeglass/dp/B009GADYK8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1436784065&sr=8-6&keywords=keychain+screw+driver

gb Offline pobs

• New User
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 02:50:58 PM
Interesting ideas.

I owned a tool similar in appearance to the Micro-Plus about 10 years ago. This other one was cheap and not much good. The Micro-Plus looks to be much better made... but I seem to have developed a romantic attachment toward the idea of getting something that looks more like a Gerber Dime this time. So I am favoring the utili-key right now.

It's always the way that the perfect tool would include different parts from several different existing tools. I already have three single purpose things on my chain. The more I look... the more I want to make my own multi-tool... just like everyone else!

If I could make my own, it would have the wire-strippers/pliers head of the ES4. It would have the bottle and box openers from of a Gerber Dime (and it's cooler general shape). The Carabiner from a Leatherman PS... the list goes on. Sigh.

Sigh.... The ES4 costs double the Dime in the UK, seemingly due to postage from the USA. I don't like paying too much for something that is not what I want. Perhaps I should just give up and get a Dime then see if I struggle in practice when I want to strip wires with their wire cutter or use their screwdriver (or a utili-key). If I don't do something I am going to end up getting nothing again. It's a real shame none of the cheap knockoffs feature a nice stripper!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 02:53:51 PM by pobs »

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 03:06:10 PM
Well, Dime has scissors. And if you are willing to try, you could file scissors in that tool for wire strippers. Or make similar notch on pliers.

What size wires ar you usually using?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 03:09:18 PM
How about using this:

Could be combined with anything.

Also, this may or may not be a cheap source for a ES4 (Pictures show PS4, but text says ES4): http://www.makershed.com/products/make-circuit-breaker-leatherman

gb Offline pobs

• New User
Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 04:11:23 PM
In American terms I am typically interested in AWG 18, AWG 20 and AWG 22. I now notice that 22 is too small for the ES4 to handle.

Etherealicer: Sorry, the image you posted does not show up for me (on Internet Explorer or Firefox).
*EDIT* Ah, The picture is there now. Thanks.

Good spot on that makershed web site. It looks like I would need to email a courier for international shipping rates. The wrong photo means I would probably also need to email the site as I am not likely to return it from here! While I am thinking about it, here is something to make UK residents frown:
on amazon.com the ES4 costs USD 29.99
on amazon.co.uk the ES4 costs UKP 29.49
Funny the way they just change the currency and leave the number about the same! There is supposed to be almost two dollars to the pound (UK/US exchange rate is 64%).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 04:41:53 PM by pobs »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 04:53:42 PM
In American terms I am typically interested in AWG 18, AWG 20 and AWG 22. I now notice that 22 is too small for the ES4 to handle.

Etherealicer: Sorry, the image you posted does not show up for me (on Internet Explorer or Firefox).
*EDIT* Ah, The picture is there now. Thanks.

Good spot on that makershed web site. It looks like I would need to email a courier for international shipping rates. The wrong photo means I would probably also need to email the site as I am not likely to return it from here! While I am thinking about it, here is something to make UK residents frown:
on amazon.com the ES4 costs USD 29.99
on amazon.co.uk the ES4 costs UKP 29.49
Funny the way they just change the currency and leave the number about the same! There is supposed to be almost two dollars to the pound (UK/US exchange rate is 64%).
Does fine for me in all browsers :D

But here you can go directly to the SOG Wirestripper

th Offline Denis Stewart

• Designer of multi tools and amphibous water craft
Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 12:48:24 PM
This is my Metperial survivalist multi tool. More info in the crowd funding section.
hand key ring.jpg
* hand key ring.jpg (Filesize: 231.25 KB)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 02:49:58 PM by zoidberg »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD