Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lanyards but why?

rebel · 62 · 8866

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Re: Lanyards but why?
Reply #30 on: October 15, 2015, 05:42:47 PM
I'm givin ya a like for the Southern Pride ;)

The Wife is from Arkansas and in my youth spent some time in Alabama.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #31 on: October 15, 2015, 05:55:20 PM

The Wife is from Arkansas and in my youth spent some time in Alabama.

Lots of good country and events in Arkansas. I was there on vacation a bunch of times. Sorry to say I have only driven through Alabama a few times and never spent any time there to speak of.
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline anon

Reply #32 on: October 15, 2015, 10:11:21 PM
A lanyard is useful when you are in a situation where if you drop your tool or other item such as a handgun its probably going to be lost forever.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #33 on: October 15, 2015, 11:18:06 PM
Nothing wrong with that and dont let people tell you otherwise. :tu:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

00 Offline rebel

Reply #34 on: October 21, 2015, 06:02:11 PM
A lanyard is useful when you are in a situation where if you drop your tool or other item such as a handgun its probably going to be lost forever.

I'll be damned if I'll put a lanyard on a handgun and I haven't dropped one yet. There are limits!
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #35 on: October 23, 2015, 06:41:23 PM

I'll be damned if I'll put a lanyard on a handgun and I haven't dropped one yet. There are limits!
Having lanyard on pistols was a common practice in two world wars.

00 Offline rebel

Reply #36 on: October 24, 2015, 08:26:41 PM
A lot of dumb things are common practice in wars. And that is because governments are the source of everything dumb.
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #37 on: October 26, 2015, 01:17:39 AM
A lot of dumb things are common practice in wars. And that is because governments are the source of everything dumb.

Television and Youtube videos are pretty dumb at times, too.   :)
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #38 on: November 02, 2015, 07:48:15 AM
I like lanyards on some knives. In particular I like a lanyard on anything I'm using over water.  I have some short fobs made out of paracord for some of my knives to make it easier to get them out of my pouch or pocket.  Here's a fob I used to have on a single blade knife that I regularly carried in my back pocket, but I decided I like it better on my wave.  The other knife in the picture is a cord wrapped Buck 140 Packlite Skinner.  I carried this combination every day for several months.
P1100460.JPG
* P1100460.JPG (Filesize: 93.71 KB)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 07:52:07 AM by Alan K. »

00 Offline rebel

Reply #39 on: November 02, 2015, 09:05:04 AM
My outdoors is usually alpine but yeah what you said makes a lot of sense. If you drop something in the ocean or a lake you're probably not getting it back.
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #40 on: November 02, 2015, 07:49:30 PM
If you are saying having lanyard on pistols was a dumb practice in two world wars then I must disagree with you, being a WWII reenactor I would think I have slightly more experience than you do on this subject.

00 Offline rebel

Reply #41 on: November 04, 2015, 09:26:57 AM
If you are saying having lanyard on pistols was a dumb practice in two world wars then I must disagree with you, being a WWII reenactor I would think I have slightly more experience than you do on this subject.

I concede as a reenactor you have more experience in me in reenacting. What other experience I do or don't have is far beyond you bud. I was carrying .45s before you were born. Stick to what you know. ;)
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: November 04, 2015, 09:32:03 AM

I concede as a reenactor you have more experience in me in reenacting. What other experience I do or don't have is far beyond you bud. I was carrying .45s before you were born. Stick to what you know. ;)

Thanks guys, lets leave it at that.  :to:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #43 on: November 04, 2015, 09:38:42 AM
 :whistle: If you say so.

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #44 on: November 04, 2015, 10:04:32 AM
I like lanyards on some knives. In particular I like a lanyard on anything I'm using over water.  I have some short fobs made out of paracord for some of my knives to make it easier to get them out of my pouch or pocket.  Here's a fob I used to have on a single blade knife that I regularly carried in my back pocket, but I decided I like it better on my wave.  The other knife in the picture is a cord wrapped Buck 140 Packlite Skinner.  I carried this combination every day for several months.
I really like your take on the buck skinner, here is a little zombie cord.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #45 on: November 05, 2015, 05:49:43 AM
I like it. You do nice work. I couldn't use that criss-cross pattern because I needed to leave the middle open.  When I combined the Leatherman sheath with the Buck I had to secure the Buck with a loop through the middle since the original snap had to be removed.  The Buck was a little slippery before it was wrapped. The wrap was a great improvement.
P1100459.JPG
* P1100459.JPG (Filesize: 83.53 KB)

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: November 06, 2015, 12:18:05 PM
On SAKs or comparable folding tools/knives Lanyards annoy me moire than they help. But I have one on my cellphone for retrieving it from the inner pocket of my jacket or teh leg pocket on my work pants. It´s abput 10cm long. My work-key is on a piece of gutted paracord secured to my belt. It´s long enough to use the key and makes sure I don´t forget teh key inside a lock or a room and I won´t be loosing a key opening several hundred doors...

I made a lanyard with a clip to use on hand tools when over a hole/on a balcony or a ladder.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: November 19, 2015, 09:01:02 PM
A few of my folders have lanyards, I find them handy for the same reasons people have already mentioned.

Not on multis though.

Losing a black or camo tool or flashlight is easy to do. Time for some glo-fobs!

This causes a weird tic under my eye.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #48 on: November 21, 2015, 10:31:35 PM
My buddies recently dropped my Garmin GPSMap 62s while hunting and lost it. Being good guys, they replaced it (worked out great, I actually ended up with a better model that we found on sale - Garmin Oregon 600t, and a better micro SD card that overlays public lands and even shows land-owners). They were all adamant that I should affix a brightly colored lanyard to the new unit in case such a situation were to arise again (though, I have never dropped it while hunting). I have some experience making paracord lanyards, so the past couple days I have been making various styles and lengths of blaze orange lanyards for visibility purposes.

Additionally, I have put lanyards on a couple of my tools to assist retrieving them from my Skinth. My Flik badly needed a lanyard for this purpose, but my Wave also benefited. I also put one on my PPP for when I 5th-pocket carry that tool. I do agree with some others in this thread that they are sort of in way while using the tools, though.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: December 08, 2015, 02:41:54 AM
I like baby finger lanyards , reason: water , and heights . Dropping a knife or pair of pliers on a fellow worker , is uncool.

Chris

us Offline forest77

Reply #50 on: December 08, 2015, 03:11:48 AM
What is a baby finger lanyard? Got pics?

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

Mind not for rent!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #51 on: February 08, 2016, 08:28:57 AM
What is a baby finger lanyard? Got pics?

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

Corwyn already demonstrated one example of the baby finger lanyard in post 5 of this thread but you must have missed it.  It's a bit of lanyard that improves your grip on short handled knives and could also be used on any knife when you should use a lanyard to attach the knife to your hand for safety, but you don't want to loop it around your whole hand or your wrist. Here's Corwyn's picture again.
LadybugSalt.jpg
* LadybugSalt.jpg (Filesize: 55.67 KB)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 08:36:14 AM by Alan K. »

us Offline Crank

• New User
Reply #52 on: May 28, 2016, 08:37:14 PM
Ever since 1963 I have worn a lanyard (just a length of paracord) with a Victorinox. At that age it was an expensive and treasured tool I received as a gift and could not afford to replace. But on a motorcycle camping trip I stopped to walk a little way along a wild stream to make lunch. After all was packed up, I walked away from my knife, left on the bank, and drove another hundred miles on before discovering my loss. It was impractical to go back.

When I could afford to replace it, I swore I would always wear a lanyard long enough that the knife could be used without removing it. I knotted the lanyard tightly to the knife and ran my belt through a loop at the other end, purposely making it inconvenient to remove. If someone else wanted to use the knife, I told them to "snuggle up".

I have only lost one knife since, and that was when I got careless. I was hiking and for some reason the lanyard was not attached to my belt: the loose end evidently caught in brush and was jerked out of my pocket.

The lanyard has never caused me any inconvenience: I usually carry my knife in a pocket on the leg of my cargo pants, so the lanyard hangs straight down, out of the way. (But in a side pocket, there is little lanyard exposed, so still no problem.)

Recently, I have kept a small carabiner tied to the lanyard so that I can remove the knife more easily if I MUST do so. The dangling, weighted lanyard is a reminder to reattach the knife. The caribiner has proved useful for securing other "must not lose" things, such as keys. I  attached a D ring to a travel wallet, and I thread the lanyard through it when traveling abroad (after a wallet once fell out of my pocket in a taxi).

I'd say a lanyard has prevented a good many losses over my lifetime, and certainly spared me much worry.

Crank
Seeking Knowledge, Hoping for Wisdom
Seeking Knowledge, Desiring Wisdom -------- Crank

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: May 31, 2016, 11:02:20 AM
Welcome to the forum Crank. :cheers:

I did try for one hike a long lanyard as you describe but found I kept catching it on things.  In fairness though I suspect I didn't give myself enough time to get used to it.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #54 on: May 31, 2016, 02:52:50 PM
I dont leave a lanyard on the tool when I use it, but its my preferred way to carry any tool.  I like the SAK or MT attached to me so I dont lose it and it also keep it vertical in the pocket if you have it just the right length.   :tu:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #55 on: June 09, 2016, 07:05:03 PM
I find the lanyard very useful for retrieving tools fast and quick from their sheaths or pockets

Adds security and confidence in the grip, too
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #56 on: June 10, 2016, 12:11:18 AM
I normally don't put lanyards on my stuff because I found them distracting and cumbersome, but lanyards do help a lot on knives with wave feature.
IMG_1692.JPG
* IMG_1692.JPG (Filesize: 314.22 KB)

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: June 10, 2016, 07:34:11 AM
I like them for the fact they can make items without a pocket clip (mt or knives) easier to access from your pocket or watch pocket. It can also give you a 2nd/3rd or 4th finger grip on a smaller knife, like the gnome for example lol. But just as a styling cue, nah, has to be functional AND stylish ya dig!

But. I've noticed on my gerber dime it completely gets in the way of using the flat head I believe. And on my rebar it completely got in the way of using one of the tools too, or hindered the pe blade for any kind of cutting. (I don't remember exactly as I have since removed them a while back)
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #58 on: June 16, 2016, 10:49:01 PM
When I use big, two handed tools (shovel, adze, etc.) they allow me to drop them and have a better grip and leverage while still having them in the hand.

Has proven useful so far in a couple occasions (the Gerber with lanyard, the Spyderco can be dangerous if you are not aware)

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: June 17, 2016, 10:51:40 AM
Welcome to the boards Crank.   :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31