Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a quality single AA flashlight.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

on: July 15, 2015, 10:04:45 PM
I'm in the market for a new torch. I just got me a new bag and and it's time to start filling it up.
As of now I use multiple Cree/Ultrafire/No name lights, http://www.amazon.com/UltraFire%C2%AE-Adjustable-UltraFire-Waterproof-Flashlight/dp/B00CJO65SQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1436989123&sr=8-4&keywords=ultrafire and was wondering if there is anything out there (for not much more money) with better overall performance.

I like everything about these lights. Compact, powerful, durable, and VERY VERY economical, but was curious if there were better options out there for not a lot more coin.

Should I look into something else or would it be better to buy a few more of these torches along with some rechargeable 14500's to get a little more oomph out of the ol'lights?

Any opinions thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Looking for a quality single AA flashlight.
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 10:21:14 PM
There are various lights, but they will not be properly branded. Plenty of ultrafire etc.
It all depends on the amount you want to spend. Romisen, tank007, and for a bit/a lot more fenix , jetbeam/nicecore , olight maglite etc.have as lights at reasonable prices

See the link on my signature for some low cost aa options.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 10:32:56 PM
Check out the Thrunite T10. I have several of their lights, and they are good value for money  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 11:30:55 PM
Check out the Thrunite T10. I have several of their lights, and they are good value for money  :tu:
I second that. I have a t10t and it has been working for me. Very pleased with the purchase and it didn't break the bank
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 12:03:01 AM
I'd have to agree with the gentlemen above and say the T10 is a good value and good light for them money. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 03:18:20 PM
Zebralight. Those who know and use LED flashlights (in the real world, not in the mall while wearing their ninja suit), know Zebralight.

I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 03:38:34 PM
Zebralight. Those who know and use LED flashlights (in the real world, not in the mall while wearing their ninja suit), know Zebralight.

I still wish they would bring out the updated version of the SC80 (I mailed a long time ago, and they said its going to happen).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 03:57:19 PM
99.9% of the people world wide that use torches for their work/home just use cheap no name Chinese light and manage fine.

The secret in the know special expert club is very small.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 04:50:57 PM
Zebralights are like Surefire, way out of my budget. I'm not going to war, I may just need to get to a bathroom in the middle of the night.

The Thrunite t10 is nice. I really like the T10S in full stainless. Looking at the T10 got me interested in another Thrunite the TN12. I know it's not AA but it's a beast of a good performer.

@DKS lots of info in your thread about affordable lights. Did I read every line of info...no, but I did do some heavy perusing. The Ultrafire lights as I thought are simply good buys. One thing I got from your thread is what I was originally thinking about. Getting some rechargeable 14500's may be what I need to get a little more oomph out of my lights.

Thanks to everyone so far.

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 08:53:30 PM
I really dig the Fenix E12.  Not too expensive, well made, no nonsense flashlight.  A Maglite AA pocket clip fits it perfectly if you want a clip.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 09:07:54 PM
Can't go wrong with a Maglite  :tu: . I have a non LED AA Maglite that I use as my around the house light. The exterior is really beat up but it keeps on trucking.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 09:10:37 PM
I really dig the Fenix E12.  Not too expensive, well made, no nonsense flashlight.  A Maglite AA pocket clip fits it perfectly if you want a clip.
The e12 is the next on my list.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 06:59:23 AM
Those SK68/98 style lights have been really good value for a few years, making it really difficult to buy something better unless you are spending a lot more money.

There are many good/better lights around, but they will not cost $3    :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 07:04:50 AM
For 14500 batteries, make sure you stick to decent brands.  I have some Sanyo, pink ones, that were good value for money
Trustfire can also be good, and cheaper, though you need to check for the hologram.

I think I have some information on my battery/charger threads.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%