Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Walking the dogs on the bottom of the ocean and other silliness

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
After having had to cancel our last camping trip a few months ago due to work issues Megan and I finally got out to try it again.  We went to Blomidon Provincial Park, on the other side of the province, which is about an hour and a half drive from here.  Megan had never camped with her dog before, as he has a penchant for barking at everything and wandering off.  I convinced her that dogs love camping and would benefit greatly from it.

We arrived around 8pm on Friday evening, and got to enjoy a bit of the view before going to set everything up.

Megan quickly started a fire once the tent was set up and her dog Jackson was safely tied off.  We left my Daisy free to wander about the camp site, which was quite large.

Dogs love the woods, even city dogs like ours.  Despite never having spent more than an hour or two in the woods, Daisy was absolutely in her element right from the get go.

With the campfire lit we settled in with some adult themed beverages and decided to relax- after all, we had both worked all day, loaded a trailer then drove for almost two hours before setting up camp.  A little relaxing was warranted!

Megan decided that flaming marshmallows were also a requirement for the evening and we greatly enjoyed them- mine someone less burnt, but to each their own!

As I said, Daisy was in her element, even if she hasn't spent a lot of time in the woods.

Devil Dog!

Jackson also seemed to be enjoying the place, even with a restrictive rope.

The next morning I took the opportunity to get a few shots to show how large our camp site was.

We used the Jeep to close off the entrance of the site to give us a bit more privacy- dogs are not allowed to be loose, but I couldn't bring myself to tie Daisy up.

Once breakfast was done we decided to head out for the day's adventure- namely walking the dogs on the bottom of the ocean, and this is one of the few places in the world where you can do that without SCUBA GEAR!

The tide was out, but coming back in to what is known as the Bay of Fundy, home of the highest tides in the world.  In some places the tide will rise over a hundred feet.  In this particular area the tide will recede and leave hundreds of acres of beach that will disappear again a few hours later.

This is what the beach looks like.

Megan and Jackson were quite happy to walk along the beach.

Daisy was having a good walk as well, and she was nice enough to stop long enough for a photo with me.

Finally we made it to the water and the dogs had a great time splashing around.

After playing in the water for a few minutes we headed back, and I just had to snap a photo of this pretty little waterfall, a waterfall that will be filled with salsmurfer within a few hours.

There was a lot less beach when we left!

We stopped at a local fromagerie on the way back to camp and picked up some herb and garlic Gouda which Megan was nice enough to make into sandwiches for lunch- partly so we could eat and partly so she could get an Outdoor Cuisine Merit Badge!  :P

Meanwhile, Daisy decided to relax in the best way possible for a dog!

Are you lookin' at me?  Are YOU lookin' at me?

It wasn't long before she decided it was nap time, and I have to say, I wasn't too far behind her!

Jackson had to try and find his own patch of grass as Daisy had taken the best one already!

This is me, post lunch but pre nap....

When we got up it was pretty close to supper time so Megan started another fire, planning to give the Coleman stove a rest.

Daisy decided to continue her nap.

Supper consisted of glazed pork tenderloin and roasted potatoes completely cooked over the fire.  The Coleman was not used in the preparation of this meal at all.

Honestly, if this woman hasn't earned an Outdoor Cuisine Merit Badge then no one has....

So what part did I play in all of this?  I did the dishes....

While the dogs slept.

We enjoyed the fire into the evening until the rain started, at which point we called it a night and retreated into the tent.  Which, we found out about an hour later was not as water tight as we'd hoped!

At around ten pm we figured it was leaking too badly to stay, so in the dark and wet we folded everything up, loaded it all into the trailer, got the dogs in the truck and began a long, harrowing drive home.  The water on the road at points was pretty significant, the steam of rain on hot asphalt made it difficult to see and the deer posed a constant collision threat.  Still, we made it home with all of us still alive, and really, what more can you ask for?  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Looks like a wonderful trip!!!!  Thank you!!!! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Wow that was a busy trip! Looks like fun too :)

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Awesome trip Boss! To me the best part of camping is the outdoor cooking and the campfire. Looks like yours were tops :tu: :tu:
SAW

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Looks like you had fun, too bad if rained,
   I miss going camping! I remember the first time we took our dog, he ended up barfing on the car ride, but I put one of those screw in ground dog posts. Well after we got the kids to bed and put the fire out, we hitched him up and went to bed! Well that wasn't going to last cause the dog wouldn't stop making noise, I kept going out to check on him and all he would do is look at me, then I would walk back in the tent and he would just keep making noise, so after two hours the wife and I agreed to bring him in, so I walked out, unhitched him, and he ran in the tent, rolled around, and was out before I even laid down, needless to say me and the wife didn't fall asleep for at least another hour cause all he did was snore! Idk which noise was worse? Ahh I so miss those days..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Blomidon is such a nice park!!  We haven't camped there in probably 12 years or more though. :(  Looks like you two had a great time though, minus the rain.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Awesome stuff, Bossman!

I always keep an extra tarp handy for camping trips and string it over the tent (even if I have to stake it to the ground). Haven't had a leak yet! Can't say the same for some of the people I've camped with though...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
We would have had a tarp but I recently used it in the attic when the roof was leaning and haven't brought it out yet.

I knew that was going to bite me in the butt sooner or later.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Looks like great fun had by all. 4 legged and 2.

Had a giggle at the word saltwater coming out as salsmurfer.  I think that's a new one for the list.

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
wow 100 foot tide change   :o
If I can help, let me know 

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?

Yeah it is rather amazing. You have to hurry- a lot of folks get caught by the tide. It can be quite dangerous.
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

us Offline getahl

I think I have that same Coleman stove lol.

The wife and I visited St.  John (?) and the Bay of Fundy about four years ago. It was at high tide,  and it was moving tremendously fast. The comic on the cruise ship that night likened it to an old man draining his pool. Still,  mighty impressive pool!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

de Offline Lichtbote

Yeah it is rather amazing. You have to hurry- a lot of folks get caught by the tide. It can be quite dangerous.

Same happens here. Not that high tide, but they walk out many miles, and the flood is faster than a person walking back to the shore.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas

Same happens here. Not that high tide, but they walk out many miles, and the flood is faster than a person walking back to the shore.

Here is some info and photos about the tides:

http://bayoffundytourism.com/tides/

Pretty neat stuff!

I think I have that same Coleman stove lol.

The wife and I visited St.  John (?) and the Bay of Fundy about four years ago. It was at high tide,  and it was moving tremendously fast. The comic on the cruise ship that night likened it to an old man draining his pool. Still,  mighty impressive pool!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Megan and I both have the same stove too- the one in these pics is mine.  In addition to the two Coleman 2 burner propane stoves we also have a Bio Lite stove, a Mini Trangia and a Svea Optima 123, so we are never going to go hungry!

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Nice - good to see Megan cooking too  :D

I am happy with our 30cm (1ft)  tides ....  you may loose a flip flop if you are not careful, but that is about it.....   :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

de Offline Lichtbote

Our tides are also not as high, between 8 and 12 ft, but as the Northsea is such a flat sea the water goes back many many miles - if you are fast enough you can walk to the most of our islands.

But if you are not fast enough, you are drowning slowly.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

de Offline Sweety-Sama

• No Life Club
  • First and Only
Cute dogs! CuTe Dogs! CUTE DOOOOGS!!!! :3
Can I borrow them (and never give back)?

Looks like a nice trip :)

-----------------------------
Using a future communicator stolen from the NCC-1701

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?

Borrow them for a week while we take vacation will yeah? :)
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

de Offline Sweety-Sama

• No Life Club
  • First and Only

Borrow them for a week while we take vacation will yeah? :)

Oh YESSS! I'd love to! :))

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I'm getting the feeling my Daisy might not be so welcome after you spend a little time with her- she doesn't always make things easy for people.  She has inherited the intelligence of her German Shepherd side and the one track mind of her Rottweiler side, which means she insists on outsmarting most people.  Even so, neither of us was prepared when she figured out how to open the door to the tent when she decided it was bed time and she wanted to sleep on the air mattress!

She is a very hard dog to handle, and I think you might be happy to give her back!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%