Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

NOCO Genius Boost GB30

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
NOCO Genius Boost GB30
on: July 20, 2015, 12:13:55 AM
I use my Jeep all the time at work, and since I am often in industrial settings like shipyards I have to leave my 4 way lights running.  Since I also spend a lot of time waiting for the labor and since gas is not cheap I will often shut off the engine to save gas- which means my battery doesn't last long with 4 way flashers running, radio playing, phone and/or laptop plugged in etc.  Jeep was nice enough to include a warning beep, or more accurately a "Your Screwed" beep.  When the battery starts to run down, the Jeep beeps at me, but by then it's too late to start it.

The up side of this is that there are always mechanics around that can boost me, but they are sometimes busy and I have waited over an hour for them in the past, often while other jobs waited.

I'd thought about upgrading the battery (about $250) or wiring in a second battery (close to $1,000) and I've often just thought that I can swallow a lot of pride and ask for a boost for that kind of money.... then I saw this:

The NOCO GB30 Genius Boost portable battery booster.  I have had battery boosters in the past but they also tended to be dead whenever I needed to use them, so they are basically a waste of money.  The reviews for this one however seemed quite favorable, and, since it was on sale for only $90 this week at Canadian Tire, I decided to give it a shot. 

Despite its small size, the manufacturer claims it can boost a dozen or so cars on a single charge.  While I doubt I'll need to use it that often, it is comforting to know that they have that much faith in it.  Heck, if it boosts me twice on a charge, I'll consider myself lucky.

In addition to boosting cars, it also acts as a rather large flashlight, safety light etc with several brightness and strobe settings.  I don't really see myself giving much of a crap about that, but I suppose it could come in handy.

It also charges through a USB port, and has the ability to charge USB devices like cell phone, camera, GPS and the like, which actually came in handy on our recent camping trip as one of my battery banks was dead and the other was left at home, and so was the Bio Lite stove so we had nothing else to charge phones.

The GB30 worked beautifully for that, which was very much appreciated.

Getting back to it's primary function, boosting cars, it has smart circuitry that won't let you boost the car if you have it hooked up wrong, don't have a good connection or any other problems.  After seeing a few reviews on Youtube and reading a few reviews it seemed like a pretty good investment.  I'll probably kill my battery at work some time this week so I'll report back when I've had a chance to actually use it for what it was meant for.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: NOCO Genius Boost GB30
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 01:12:11 PM
 :popcorn:

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 07:21:10 PM
Looks and sounds useful.

Have you thought of adding battey charger to your battery? One that you plug in when you get to home? There are few good ones that goes on same powercable that goes to engine heater. Best ones has brainbox that smells outside temperature and battery charge. Does not heat engine or load battery if not needed...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 08:43:10 PM
Unfortunately I now live in an apartment and there is no way to plug in my battery, plus it's usually fully charged by the time I get home anyway- I usually only kill it at work because I try to use it for long periods without the engine running.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%