Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knife/gadget blanket

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Knife/gadget blanket
on: July 20, 2015, 03:12:46 PM
Problem: Keep nice toy... gadget... necessities(!) separated and protected without adding a ton of extra weight to the total.

Added problem: All those nice EDC thingies often have odd shapes and edges.

Added problem: I'm lazy. And all thumbs.

Oh, and it would be nice if the solution was compatible with long term storage. One obvious solution is of course a furoshiki style wrap. These have the disadvantage that they're not the quickest to wrap or unwrap, at least not for me, and the require a fair bit of cloth. But, building on that basic idea, why not simple tie a piece of cord to the corner of a piece of cloth and roll it up as a lazy man's furoshiki? Then it would be quicker to (un)wrap and it would need less fabric. Bonus: Everything can be repurposed as needed.

Now for some math. Consider the figure below: A more or less rectangular thingamajig is to be wrapped in a quadratic piece of cloth. The length of the thing is 2l, the width 2w, the length of the cloth is o. We need c extra clearance to the edge of the cloth to pack it all up properly. (Refer to the figure below.)

cos(45°) = sqrt(2) / 2. This gives the distance from the center of the cloth to a corner as (l + 2(c * cos(45°)) + w) = l + c * sqrt(2) + w. This gives o = (2 * (l + c * sqrt(2) + w)) / sqrt(2). Solving for a clearance of a "metric inch" (25 mm) and the thingamajig as CyberTool L, in other words 2w = 33 mm, and 2l = 91 mm, gives us o = 137.68 mm.

So... I took a piece of cloth about that size, in this case one of my microfiber wipes for my glasses, tied a piece of cord to a corner, and wrapped up a CyberTool L to see if it all was as easy as it sounded. It was.

QED.

Hope this can be of use, or at least entertainment to somebody here. :)
knifeblanket_math.jpg
* knifeblanket_math.jpg (Filesize: 117.51 KB)
20150720_144237.jpg
* 20150720_144237.jpg (Filesize: 152.06 KB)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Knife/gadget blanket
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 03:22:36 PM
Hope this can be of use, or at least entertainment to somebody here. :)

It was indeed, thank you.  :cheers:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 06:53:29 PM
Cool to see the math behind the problem.

But why not just sew a pocket with a drawstring at the top??

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 07:47:53 PM
Mainly because I'm lazy, but also because this is a little more flexible and becomes a tighter fit. That's useful if fumbling around without looking. A wrap takes the size of what is wrapped, a pouch does not adapt the same way.

And as I mentioned, everything here is easier to repurpose on the go than with a proper pouch.

Edit: What I was getting at above was I think it is better using wraps than pouches if you have many small, irregularly shaped things that must be kept separate going into your pack. if we are talking about a single pocket knife you are going to use often, a pouch would of course be quicker.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 08:22:36 PM by Steinar »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 03:19:37 AM
I often wrap up tools and knives going into a pack in a tea towel. Add item fold roll, add item fold roll etc. Works really well for me.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 09:15:14 AM
I often wrap up tools and knives going into a pack in a tea towel. Add item fold roll, add item fold roll etc. Works really well for me.

Plus you have a tea towel to wipe up with if needed  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD