Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Minimal knives on long trip.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Minimal knives on long trip.
on: July 25, 2015, 01:26:01 AM
Left home in Maryland on July 11th on a cross country road trip. Drove to Georgetown Texas to rendezvous with the better half who had flown down to visit  sister, and on to California to visits daughter and family. Spent 4 days up in Mammoth Lakes trout fishing and hiking, and some camping out. Being an obsessive maximum minimalist from my backpacking days, my knives have consisted of my trusty little Vic classic, and my Remington/Camillus peanut with 1095 blades.

With all the plastic food a wrappers to cut, trout to clean and cook, marshmallow sticks to whittle for granddaughter Briana, the Remington peanut has been busy. But the sharp little two inch blade has done all the cutting with no problems. So far in the past two weeks, both the blades on the Remington have been used for something. The slender pen blade makes a decent awl.

This is the average size fish we caught, frying pan size. A snap to gut with the little knife.

Unfortunately, granddaughter Briana skunked us all by catching a monster all by herself. The little peanut was a bit outmatched now, so son-in-law John used his Matini fillet knife on it.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 01:33:38 AM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: Minimal knives on long trip.
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 01:34:44 AM
A excellent report on how much gear we really need!!! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 10:54:50 AM
I agree with SAK Guy. Although we all know that as gear junkies, there could have been a lot more
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 11:05:52 AM
Several years ago I went on a survival based holiday. We had beds all but one night (improvised hammock for one night), but all activities were survival based. The first morning we were handed a trout for breakfast, and had to clean it with a shard of flint. That 2" blade would have been a luxury  :D

It's very true that with the right knowledge and approach, small blades are capable of big tasks. Sounds like you had a great time, and some cool pics there mate  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 05:29:58 PM
Great pics and while I'll admit I'd prefer to carry a good fixed anytime I'm out hiking/camping a sharp blade like the peanut could suffice.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 01:29:44 AM
Returned home from Pacific Northwest with Mini-Surge, did use it much but I feel good knowing it is on my side.
Pics here:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51718.msg1128410.html#msg1128410
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 04:33:59 AM
Great pics and while I'll admit I'd prefer to carry a good fixed anytime I'm out hiking/camping a sharp blade like the peanut could suffice.

+1 all the way around.

cbl51, good stuff.  I agree with Aloha, I know I can do with less, but I also enjoy playing with 'em if I have 'em!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%