Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Collecting things.

Chako · 86 · 3798

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Collecting things.
Reply #30 on: July 27, 2015, 01:31:23 PM
All of my collections are somewhat self contained. I collect because it is fun. I rarely collect as an investment, although I am sure it can be quite easily...it all depends on how you look at things.

I do know that I collect things that I like and also because I also view it as a house decoration. Some examples are...

Walking sticks and canes started from an idea of those umbrella stands by the doors...however I do like the look of wood. I came across a walking stick in an artist exposition and well...I keep finding one here and there. I am almost to the end of this as my original receptacle had to be replaced by this more utilitarian and larger receptacle. Once there is no more room, I will stop buying the odd one here and there.

My FDC collection can only be stored in these two shelves. I have most of every FDC Canada has ever produced non-official and official. This collection only needs the new FDCs which I can pick up ever few months at the postal outlet.

Half of my sword collection. The other half is upstairs. I do not plan on buying anymore as I do not have the room. However, those that I bought, I bought for the history they represent.

For a time I got into model trains. Then I got the idea to turn the HO cars into a nice decorative display.

So for me, a big part of collecting is for decorative purposes. The hunt is also a good deal of the fun. I think because I do not have any place to store a large part of my fixed blades and the machetes, that bothers me a little. I know I will have to find a way to display them somehow in the future as those things are important to me. I know that when someone comes into my house, the comment I get is that it looks like a museum. I guess I surround myself with items I like, that I find comforting.

Nice paint ball collection moonweasle. Wow!
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: July 27, 2015, 01:34:50 PM
Tosh, does collecting give you pleasure? If so, then don't over think it. If it gives you pain, then you may need to reflect. I know some folks who are compulsive buyers, who put themselves into debt. Others, who can't stop and eventually become a hoarder. I jokingly call myself a hoarder, but a real hoarder is one who suffers from a mental illness, and keeps buying until their house looks like a dump.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: July 27, 2015, 06:31:32 PM
Tosh, does collecting give you pleasure? If so, then don't over think it. If it gives you pain, then you may need to reflect. I know some folks who are compulsive buyers, who put themselves into debt. Others, who can't stop and eventually become a hoarder. I jokingly call myself a hoarder, but a real hoarder is one who suffers from a mental illness, and keeps buying until their house looks like a dump.

It actually makes me angry in a way with myself, because I don't really want to buy but feel as though I have to. My collection controls me more than I control it.
I go through phases.....expensive phases!!
But as I get older I'm finding myself constantly questioning my reasons for buying - yet I still have to buy!!
Take the leatherman "by the numbers" I never liked them, but I now find out they've been discontinued, so yesterday I ordered the full set!! I really didn't want them, but nor do I want to face regret in a years time and find I can only get half the set.
So, proving the collection really is starting to control me.
I enjoy the banter here on MT'o far more than the actual tools - which in my case never see the light of day and were bought solely to become part of a personal multitool evolution.

But most of the newer Victorinox leave me cold. As do almost all the Gerbers except the MP range. SOG I adore, but they haven't released anything bar the recent switchplier 2.0.
Wenger is now dead and gone, so is merely a waiting game to see what pops up from time to time. Which basically just leaves leatherman. I'm being very specific in what I buy as I see very little point in buying anything run of the mill.

So to sum up - if I stay with this mindset it will be a little like your stamp collecting (but on a much smaller scale) in that hopefully I'll need only purchase a few items each quarter.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 06:34:28 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #33 on: July 27, 2015, 06:38:23 PM
Have you considered the money you'd make back if you were to sell  ???
SAW

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: July 27, 2015, 07:03:24 PM
Have you considered the money you'd make back if you were to sell  ???

Unless I listed it here on MT'o, selling would be a real ball ache. Given that the vast majority of UK auction sites don't allow knives. But, why sell? Apart from the massive job in hand of actually listing it all with photographs and descriptions what would I do with the money raised? I'd still have to do the daily grind, yes the money raised could possibly pay for a nice holiday, a newer car etc. But we both put money aside for those as it is. Earlier in the year I decided to shift a load of tools. It was a lot of work. Listing each item with nice clear pictures, replying to all the emails, arranging viewings, everybody bartering on the doorstep hoping they could get a further reduction even after I'd agreed to a price. But the money came in dribs and drabs and was used to pay for mundane things - hence when all had gone there was nothing to show for it!!  A lot of effort for very little reward.
I think I'll eventually be ruthless and keep only the top 100 or so items and the rest trade or sell. But I don't think it'll be anytime soon.

Off the top of my head there is very little I want..
The  BO ST300 CC
And BO Spirit CC
Those 2 items would complete 2 unfinished sets.
At the moment I'm just focusing on tying up all loose ends.

What happens after that...I don't yet know.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: July 27, 2015, 08:02:46 PM
That is a tough one then. I think myself, I wouldn't collect if it caused me anything negative, be it financial, bad feelings, etc. I mean, should't the act of collecting give one pleasure be it for the hunt, the completion of a set, etc? I think the key to my happiness is that I never look at a collection as an investment. I know the moment I start calculating gains, etc, my ball deflates rather quickly.

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #36 on: July 27, 2015, 08:21:46 PM
There was a school of thought in the UK back in the sixties that real antique collectors (not the house clearance junk you so often see in many "antique malls") would sell their wives and kids to obtain a particular much sought after item, such is the draw of collecting.

It should be a positive thing though Tosh, and if I were you I would be justifiably very proud of such a superb collection  :salute:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #37 on: July 27, 2015, 08:53:33 PM
My current SAK hobby stems from losing nearly all my collection (just one Pioneer saved) in the wildfire and then rebuilding it got me through my divorce by giving me something to focus on. Sounds weird but by throwing myself into it (research, buying, cleaning, repairing etc), somehow I got through one of the worst times of my life.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #38 on: July 29, 2015, 02:01:25 AM
My current SAK hobby stems from losing nearly all my collection (just one Pioneer saved) in the wildfire and then rebuilding it got me through my divorce by giving me something to focus on. Sounds weird but by throwing myself into it (research, buying, cleaning, repairing etc), somehow I got through one of the worst times of my life.
I completely understand :salute:

My gear brings me great joy as well :D
SAW

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #39 on: July 29, 2015, 02:20:08 AM
I completely understand :salute:

My gear brings me great joy as well :D

Thanks bro!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: July 29, 2015, 06:43:40 AM
I was not a collector of anything I can think of before MTO and MTs.  Before I joined I already had several tools a few SAKs and some knives with no real intention of "collecting".  I quickly loved the idea of acquiring some of the older LMs and so it began.  I set up some guidelines early on which have more or less remained.  I dont typically buy new tools, the exception is if they are marked down considerably, I don't but just to buy ( good deal on something ), I wont buy unless I have the money, etc. 

Over the few years as my LM collection has grown as well my SAKs I realized I just was more interested in setting up my "perfect" work/off day/hiking/camping/home/etc kits and the accumulation of tools allowed me to try several in this quest. 

As many of you know by my posts I was lucky and found my perfect tools, Wave and Surge so all the other tools just made me happy.  I have sold and traded away duplicates and things that stopped making me happy.  I have found certain SAKs that I still would like to try ( big guys ) and fixed blades that I'd like to try as well. 

Tosh does your companion support your collecting ( you dont have to answer )?  I'm single so I answer to no one yet I share my collecting with my kids and my roommate and her son, which they all seem to enjoy.  Best part is when no one seems interested I come here and voila a bunch of very interested folks.

There were some tools that I traded/sold that I thought I'd regret and initially did but it didn't last long.  These items serve me, the tools I have that see no day light also serve me by being enjoyable to handle and to own. 

I don't see myself wanting more and haven't been on the bay in a while.  There are admittedly tools out there that I'd like to handle but in due time. 

I like to take out my collection and look over what I've accumulated from time to time.  It gives me perspective on where I am with this and where I see myself down the road.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #41 on: July 29, 2015, 08:28:21 AM
"Chako" NICE staff collection is the tall one on the left diamond willow?

I myself never never got into one thing in particular, a little something here, a little of something there. Kinda like working, yes I pretty much stayed in plumbing, but in order to do it you also had to learn other things like heating and a/c, electrical, blue print, carpentry, and wielding. But I didn't stop their, I also took machine shop, electronic, automotive, and even the basics of nursing. It's nice knowing a little of everything rather then just one thing!
    I wouldn't mind getting back into collecting a few thing, maybe coins? I posted a few pics of what I have somewhere on here. Just sucks being limited on $$..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: July 29, 2015, 02:10:33 PM
I believe it is diamond willow.  :salute:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: July 29, 2015, 03:28:03 PM
@Aloha007

She's not bothered so long as I don't use our savings!!
She's fully aware of the multitool archive but has no real concept as to how many there actually are - me neither :facepalm:

I finish work early on Friday. I've promised myself I'll tidy up my stuff, so maybe a good opportunity to dump the whole lot on the living room floor and grab a picture of the pile - maybe use it as a warning as what being here can bring! :oops:  :twak:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: July 29, 2015, 04:17:37 PM
It might be nice to see exactly what you have Tosh.  When I began bidding on the bay surprisingly I won more that I thought.  My collection grew rather quickly and at one point I couldn't remember what I had or "needed".  Like many I made a list then continued on especially when I tracked down a tool I felt I had to have.  I bought the tool inspected it and put it away, lather rinse repeat.   

Once my collection reached a point of "needing" the REALLY had to find tools and those asking prices exceeded my comfort zone I paused.  It was at this point that I realized a few things, I was never going to pay some outrageous price for a tool that new cost 1/2 the asking price, I was accumulating,  I had bought some tools simply to buy or because I got a good deal.   I was breaking my rules for collecting and again I paused.  I had some specific guidelines when I began which kept and keeps me focused.  Maybe once you get your tools out you'll have a better idea of where this began and where you'd like to go.     

I remember Warren Buffets response to someone asking him how he picked stocks.  ( I'll butcher this ) but in essence what he said he does is very much anyone picking stocks.  He does all his due diligence prior to a purchase and considers all things possible then when or if he decides to buy, that's it.  If the stock turns out to be a dog he doesn't kick himself replaying all prior thoughts or beating himself silly that he made a poo pick.   He lives with his decision and moves on not making himself sick over "woulda, coulda, or shoulda been".  This has really profoundly helped me since I tend to analyze many things in my life.  I had a hard time making a decision without having several contingencies in place then if something went wrong I was spending so much time replaying it over and over again.

I no longer do that which has helped me tremendously.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #45 on: July 29, 2015, 05:33:24 PM
That stuff is expensive but is suppose to be one of the lightest yet strongest woods, I'd like to get my hands on a piece of saguaro wood for a stick.
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: July 29, 2015, 10:48:39 PM
That stuff is expensive but is suppose to be one of the lightest yet strongest woods, I'd like to get my hands on a piece of saguaro wood for a stick.
JR

Surely it can't be more expensive than ebony  :ahhh
I've been looking on and off for the past year or more for a slab of the stuff.... Nothing!!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: July 30, 2015, 04:30:18 PM
JR

Surely it can't be more expensive than ebony  :ahhh
I've been looking on and off for the past year or more for a slab of the stuff.... Nothing!!

Considering many (most?) ebony species are threatened, that's not surprising.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebony#Legal_penalties_for_illegal_sales_and_importation

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #48 on: July 31, 2015, 04:27:56 AM
 In my youth I was into ATVs and outdoor activities which consumed a lot of my money. No regrets there as now I am to disabled to play much now. As a career I was a mechanic so I spent most of my extra money on tools.  But in the past 10 years I have had an interest in collecting.
In 2005 Buck Knives moved their factory a few miles from my home. Before this I owned only a couple of knives. This sparked my interest in collecting Buck Knives. Of course the Buck 110 is the icon of the Buck line up, so that is where I started. I soon realized there are an overwhelming number of 110 variations. It was going to be expensive to pursue, so I lost most of my interest in them.  So as I was surfing the Bay for 110s and saw a 360 BuckTool, I put in a bid and won. I got the tool and started trying to find info on them which lead me here. I found that there were a limited number of variations of BuckTools. I started collecting them, and very much enjoyed the hunt of finding variations I did not have. After about 6 or 7 years I had collected most variations. I have always like showing my collection to people so I built a display case and featured it at the 2013 Buck Collectors Club Rendezvous. It was well liked.
 So at this point I needed to fill the void so I landed on SwissBucks again limited variations so it was within my means to collect. I recently found one of the last variations I was looking for. Now I will build a display case for them and show them in 2018 BCC Rendezvous.
 I still collect some variations of the 110 but it is hard to get enthusiastic because it is so hard to collect every style.
 Like others on here I do feel guilt for spending hard earned money on some thing I only look at, but I enjoy it and my wife likes me keeping my mind occupied. As long as my collecting does not get out of control and the scales are balanced I will continue collecting.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:39:41 AM by THE_LONGBOW »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: July 31, 2015, 07:34:13 AM
Awesome display LB  :tu:
I wish my other half would let me display mine like that.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: July 31, 2015, 08:20:01 AM
That is a wonderful display.  I feel the money is not "wasted" because theres something tangible as a result.  I have clients that collect wine which as I understand can be very pricey.  Many go eat at fancy restaurants and spend lots of money.  I like the idea of having something that I can hold and look at years down the road.     
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: July 31, 2015, 02:17:25 PM
This is a first for me - I've never seen the whole lot grouped together - actually there's still a few missing (8x Bucktools BNiB, small collection of Stan Shaw (Master Cutler) knives plus 2 LM display items....and quite a bit more I fear  :facepalm:) - I'm a little shocked as to how much there is and more worryingly how much I must've spent since joining!

Sorry, but I really don't have the time to do individual pictures? Hopefully something to look forward to during those long winter nights.

image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 125.04 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 95.01 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 82.75 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 104.7 KB)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:59:52 PM by tosh »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: July 31, 2015, 02:19:06 PM
A couple more pics  :facepalm:

image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 151.37 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 149.6 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 144.42 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 166.91 KB)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: July 31, 2015, 02:31:06 PM
You need to display that collection properly tosh.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: July 31, 2015, 02:54:37 PM
You need to display that collection properly tosh.

It's not that easy Dan
I need to show a little bit of restraint because of my 8yr old son. No doubt we will be seeing more of his friends as he gets older and I don't really think showcasing knives would go down too well with their parents - we know they're multitools but others will just see "knives"  :ahhh
I don't want his friends to start telling everyone his Dad's a crazed knife nut because his house is full of knives!!

The collection isn't going anywhere, so I'll just keep adding bits to it and hopefully one day I'll sort something out :think:

Besides - I also need to convince "her" too!!  :ahhh  :twak:
 :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 05:03:31 PM by tosh »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: July 31, 2015, 03:59:13 PM
 :think:

Sorry, I can't relate tosh.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:13:05 PM by Chako »

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: July 31, 2015, 04:46:13 PM
I enjoy the banter and camaraderie around here more than collecting mt's. I have a couple in my collection that are users and that is enough for me.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: July 31, 2015, 04:58:47 PM
Quite a collection Tosh  :salute:.  You should feel proud IMO, proud you found something interesting to you that is enjoyable.  I know the last part is questionable however at one point I'd hope it was enjoyable.  I wonder if being tucked away in boxes makes them less enjoyable  :think:  You know its like having toys yet not being able to play with them since they are too expensive to "mess up". 

I went thru my collection yesterday and had a blast.  I spent about an hour just looking over what I liked about each tool and deciding which were of particular value to me.  Mine are not displayed but I do enjoy having a play every now and again. 

Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: July 31, 2015, 05:14:10 PM
Quite a collection Tosh  :salute:.  You should feel proud IMO, proud you found something interesting to you that is enjoyable.  I know the last part is questionable however at one point I'd hope it was enjoyable.  I wonder if being tucked away in boxes makes them less enjoyable  :think:  You know its like having toys yet not being able to play with them since they are too expensive to "mess up". 

I went thru my collection yesterday and had a blast.  I spent about an hour just looking over what I liked about each tool and deciding which were of particular value to me.  Mine are not displayed but I do enjoy having a play every now and again. 

Apart from the 3hr "Me" time I get every Friday - I don't usually get the opportunity to "play". Usually, like most I'm sure..... I have jobs around the house to sort out whilst no ones around to interfere. Infact just bringing this lot out of storage, taking pics, uploading and then putting it all back took almost 2hrs, so the job I had planned to do today gets put back until next Friday!!
I'm pretty certain if I'd had more "me" time I wouldn't have bought nearly so much. I'm usually on the web during work breaks and in the evening when everyone's in bed. Which invariably is multitool related, I see something and grab it - quite possibly because I can't get to mine.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 05:24:15 PM by tosh »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: July 31, 2015, 05:41:15 PM
"Me" time can be scarce for sure.  If that were my collection and the fun had some how gone missing.  If I were to begin to feel controlled or consumed by this pestering "want of" or regret if I didn't grab such and such I'd catalogue what I had.  I'd get a grip on where I am and where I want to be.  Kinda like being lost directionally.  If wer were lost we'd need to stop and regroup then pick a route then follow it.  I know its not that easy but  :think: but possibly.   

I like many made a list of what I have and what I paid for them.  I did this in the event of death honestly.  It would suck for my kids to have all this crap and not want it yet have no idea the worth.  So what I have is essentially the Make/model/year of production/rarity of tool ( if it applies )/condition/what I paid and projected value...... etc.  This way if the kids decided to sell off the tools all they'd have to do is list it as I've described. 

I guess what I'm saying is, you have in your possession an investment ( kinda ) for your child.  Think about waaaaaaay down the road when he's 25 or 45 years old.  These tools not only gave you joy but become cash if he decides to sell.  I can imagine some of what you have is collectable now so possibly in the future more so (?).

Heck some families pass down china wear, furniture, coins, silver ware, and everything in between so why not tools?  He may dig them as much as you did and find joy in them knowing how much you liked them. 

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD