Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Collecting things.

Chako · 86 · 3766

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Re: Collecting things.
Reply #60 on: July 31, 2015, 06:28:22 PM
"Me" time can be scarce for sure.  If that were my collection and the fun had some how gone missing.  If I were to begin to feel controlled or consumed by this pestering "want of" or regret if I didn't grab such and such I'd catalogue what I had.  I'd get a grip on where I am and where I want to be.  Kinda like being lost directionally.  If wer were lost we'd need to stop and regroup then pick a route then follow it.  I know its not that easy but  :think: but possibly.   

I like many made a list of what I have and what I paid for them.  I did this in the event of death honestly.  It would suck for my kids to have all this crap and not want it yet have no idea the worth.  So what I have is essentially the Make/model/year of production/rarity of tool ( if it applies )/condition/what I paid and projected value...... etc.  This way if the kids decided to sell off the tools all they'd have to do is list it as I've described. 

I guess what I'm saying is, you have in your possession an investment ( kinda ) for your child.  Think about waaaaaaay down the road when he's 25 or 45 years old.  These tools not only gave you joy but become cash if he decides to sell.  I can imagine some of what you have is collectable now so possibly in the future more so (?).

Heck some families pass down china wear, furniture, coins, silver ware, and everything in between so why not tools?  He may dig them as much as you did and find joy in them knowing how much you liked them. 

I think we're both on the same wave length here :tu:
I couldn't buy all these MT's unless I had a strong suspicion that their value would either remain stable or increase. Otherwise it really would be kind of wasting money.....to me I hasten to add!
But the thought of cataloging all that lot......  :ahhh
I've said it loads of times before here on MT'o - but I think what we're witnessing here with Multitools is very unique. In the relatively short span of 25yrs there has been massive change.
Most of those early iconic USA models are now no longer even in production today, I have to ponder on that to realise the magnitude of what I've written. The early versions of MT's are fantastic. They may not have the finesse of their modern equivalents but the workmanship is a sight to behold and anyone who appreciates fine workmanship will delight I'm sure in owning the early models.
As for collectors, there are a wealth of forums now on blades and multitools (I've not visited many - I like it here far too much) but what I'm getting at is that each year brings new collectors and enthusiasts who want their own. Problem is each passing year that number is dwindling. Some decide to use theirs, some get lost and some get locked away which obviously means they become more sought after. But they actually haven't been in existence for 25yrs yet and already the demand is there for all to see.
That's why I collect. It's relatively easy to find £30 - £40 to blow on a tool when compared to a lot of other collecting hobbies, but the possibility that it's gonna hold its value or greater is fantastic. Especially considering we all witnessed the demise of Wenger...and the tools were there for the taking. Needless to say I grabbed a big handful!

I probably started too late, by the time I joined 3yrs ago the MT scene was in full swing. Some of the stuff that J-Sews and Chako have in their collections are now like gold dust. You cannot even find them let alone buy them and that's now...imagine what's gonna happen when a book eventually comes out....and it will. There will be an explosion. We've already seen the silly prices early alox fetch. Imagine what early unique MTs will go for. I'm not risking my life on it - but to me the signs are already appearing.

Who could possibly have seen that coming!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 07:17:00 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #61 on: July 31, 2015, 07:23:46 PM
Gold dust? I think you meant unicorn something or other  :rofl:

J Sews has some amazing tools as well as Chako.  There are other collectors that have some pretty incredible collections as well. 

I do believe we are very much of the same wave length, scary huh?  :D

So pick apart the cataloguing chores piece by piece.  Do 10 tools at a time and save it to thumb drive.  It's not a race to finish Sir it could be fun to do. 

I smile when I think about these tools we have.  I didn't set out to make a buck but the reality is it wouldn't be hard to do. 

I like you and many here do appreciate the beauty of the early stuff and even the newer offerings like the Crunch and Tread  ::).  So rejoice in what you have accumulated if not for the joy of ownership but for the "investment" as a wonderful side note to pass to your child. 

I always smile when I think about Chakos reasons for starting his MT collecting.  I hope my kids hold on to some of the tools I have, especially the ones that I use everyday.

Try to not over think where you are and why you are here.  You not only have a terrific collection, a bit of Wenger history which is no longer, some great MTs of the past, but fond memories of your passion.  All of which can be more of less converted into cash if you or your son so desires. 

I know these are just "things" but I am of the belief that these so called things are more.  Take for instance a pocket watch handed down thru generations.  A grandson may have faint recollections of his grandpa but thru stories from his father his grandpa lives and with this keepsake he has a way to "connect" physically to grandpa. I dont have much of anything of that nature sadly but many here do and I'm certain it does the same for them, it connects them. 

My mom passed several years ago,  I have a letter she wrote to me that does this very thing I'm speaking of.  I get teary eyed holding this letter and I can hear her voice.  "Things" can be powerful in that way.

Any way I'm way off topic so suffice to say I hope you begin to once again enjoy your collection and not become to bogged down in spite of it. 

Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #62 on: July 31, 2015, 08:33:39 PM
tosh, you have expressed this often enough, and I say to you, you should be proud of what you managed to assemble, more so if you are leaving it as a legacy to your son.

Here is what I think on the subject. I have been known to speak bluntly at times, and I do not mean to offend. If I do so, please accept my apologies as those are not my intentions.

1. You seriously need to find a place in your home to proudly display what you have. Get something like what I have that will allow you to display your collection and also to lock it down.

2. Lock it down for your 8 year old son if you feel you must. Frankly, I was given a knife and taught to respect it when I was 6. That was the year I also found my Grandfather's old long guns hidden in a closet. My father thought I would never find them...and that is a mistake. You can't really hide things from children. The best thing to do from experience, is to be forthright and honest with them and to tell them where it is, what it is, and how to properly handle such things. I get goose bumps to this day thinking back at my uneducated 6 year old self playing with the neat long guns. Thankfully, they were not loaded. Thus, when you place your items in their display case, have your son present. Explain to him all the items, let him fondle them to get the curiosity out, and explain to him that one day, this collection will be yours. Nothing will get a kid in more trouble them curiosity. I know as I have a healthy streak of that to this day. :D

3. Your wife should be on board...but you should have a spot in the house that is your part of the house, be it a man cave or a den or something. Tell your wife you feel the need to express yourself and display such items. You should also tell her about the feelings of gilt and such. A marriage is a partnership, and that means your feelings should play into it. You are feeling guilty for something. I am no psychologist, but I also understand that life can be as simple or as complex as you decide to make it. Now, you may already do all of this. I do not know...just thought it needed saying is all. Keep in mind I am also terribly single here.  :D

4. Who cares what the community thinks of you. Everything you have is UK legal right? In that case, if the other parents think you are odd...I don't see anything wrong with that. Mind you, if you explain to your son your worries, he just might not tell all his friends that you are a dreaded evil knife collector. From my perspective, I don't see any harm if he does.

5. I never ever think of a collection as an investment. Life of collecting is so much nicer if you don't catalog the value of everything and try to market speculate. Keep it simple, and you will find the rest will take care of itself. It sounds like you don't plan on selling, but in giving it to your son. Why speculate and make yourself sick over it.

So in the off chance I didn't offend you tosh, and I hope i didn't, please cheer up man. You have a beautiful collection that needs to be more enjoyed by yourself, your wife (if possible), and your son. He should know everything you have as well as you do. Come to think about it, he should be included in your collecting activities whenever possible. Just my opinion, which is probably not worth the time to type it out.

Best of luck mate, I hope things turn around for you.  :cheers:  :salute:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 09:58:16 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: July 31, 2015, 09:43:53 PM
I hear you Chako, but at the minute family life is far more important than multitools. It was just a hobby...a release if you like, that's spiralled wildely out of control over the last few years.
In another 4-5yrs time my son will be at the age where he doesn't need nor want Mum Dad watching him. He'll be growing up and it will undoubtably rip my heart out... :facepalm:
That is when I'll turn to this MT collection and no doubt throw myself into it.
As for displaying.....
I've already got contingency plans drawn up  >:D
As posted a year or so back, this is kind of what I'll eventually get via eBay/Gumtree and somehow convert the back spare room downstairs. They generally go for peanuts  :D

So in the meantime, it all stays put and I'll spend "my  time" searching for those elusive missing gems .
And all the while cursing my spending habits   :tu:

$_80.JPG
* $_80.JPG (Filesize: 25.22 KB)
$_80 (3).JPG
* $_80 (3).JPG (Filesize: 36.26 KB)
$_80 (2).JPG
* $_80 (2).JPG (Filesize: 31.32 KB)
$_80 (1).JPG
* $_80 (1).JPG (Filesize: 26.17 KB)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 09:53:41 PM by tosh »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #64 on: July 31, 2015, 09:59:30 PM
 :tu:  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #65 on: July 31, 2015, 10:16:48 PM
Tosh, I applaud you for accumulating the collection you have. As Dan said, you really should have it on display though. For years, I've lived vicariously through Dan's and other's collections and it's a great feeling. I harbor no jealousy toward those who are able to build such collections, rather, I enjoy them as if they were my own. I love seeing other's EDC or collectible knives/saks/mts shared here on MTO.

In addition, I think it's imperative and healthy to set aside that special time to play with your collectibles. These things should bring you much joy! Don't ever feel regret for what you have built!

SAW

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #66 on: July 31, 2015, 10:33:43 PM
Great post Dan.  I do however believe those of you who have extensive collections ( of anything )  catalogue the items and values, insurance purposes alone demand it.  Forecasting future value on the other hand eh time will tell yet the purpose was finding something you enjoy and will pass on. 

Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: July 31, 2015, 10:44:01 PM
Tosh, I applaud you for accumulating the collection you have. As Dan said, you really should have it on display though. For years, I've lived vicariously through Dan's and other's collections and it's a great feeling. I harbor no jealousy toward those who are able to build such collections, rather, I enjoy them as if they were my own. I love seeing other's EDC or collectible knives/saks/mts shared here on MTO.

In addition, I think it's imperative and healthy to set aside that special time to play with your collectibles. These things should bring you much joy! Don't ever feel regret for what you have built!

It's too time consuming at the minute sawman. I do try my best to keep posting pictures in all the various threads. Even today I really wanted to photograph my Wenger Snow and Blaze collection, I'm also eagerly wanting to showcase both my MiniGrip & SwissGrip collection that apart from the rare SOSAK variant I've now completed.... But again family came first.
I have so many stunning sets now completed that it is a shame I cannot share more, but I will. But my family time is so precious to me I can't pull myself away . I absolutely cherish every single second that I spend with my son....nothing compares......nothing!

Even typing this, I'm sat on the sofa watching yet another scooby-do episode that ive probably seen a hundred times and sharing a family sized bag of chocolate buttons. I really don't want to go off and sit alone in a room taking pictures.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #68 on: July 31, 2015, 10:53:12 PM

It's too time consuming at the minute sawman. I do try my best to keep posting pictures in all the various threads. Even today I really wanted to photograph my Wenger Snow and Blaze collection, I'm also eagerly wanting to showcase both my MiniGrip & SwissGrip collection that apart from the rare SOSAK variant I've now completed.... But again family came first.
I have so many stunning sets now completed that it is a shame I cannot share more, but I will. But my family time is so precious to me I can't pull myself away . I absolutely cherish every single second that I spend with my son....nothing compares......nothing!

Even typing this, I'm sat on the sofa watching yet another scooby-do episode that ive probably seen a hundred times and sharing a family sized bag of chocolate buttons. I really don't want to go off and sit alone in a room taking pictures.

Oh, I'd give up every knife in my collection to be back in those times with my kids/grandkids.   :)    Cherish this time Tosh, it's gone before you know it.....
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #69 on: July 31, 2015, 11:00:43 PM
Collecting memories, nothing compares.    Ah yes time does fly sigh.  My baby girl turns 16 very soon while my oldest hits 20 in a few months.   
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: July 31, 2015, 11:14:24 PM
Cheers to you both SAK Guy & Aloha

I've sacrificed almost everything that I had. Quit my job and now do a job I don't like because it gives me more time at home, I rarely if ever go out on my own or with friends. And I certainly won't go out if my family are at home.

An old pal of mine missed his lad growing up because he was selfish and still wanted to go out drinking at night and weekends, always acting jack-the-lad. His son is now almost 16 and has his own life, his own friends - his Dad is just inconsolable with guilt these days that he missed what me and my son have. It's tearing him to pieces, yet we all warned him back then.. But he simply couldn't see it. It reminds me so much of my father.

I really don't ever want to go into old age with that kind of regret.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #71 on: August 02, 2015, 03:04:22 PM
No. I don't collect anything at all. Except SAKs, hats, and Fender (musical instrument) memorabilia.

My wife hates collecting things and thinks collecting stuff is silly and a waste of space. So she doesn't collecting anything either. Except makeup, perfume, and artwork featuring dogs (namely poodles).
LOL!!

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk

us Offline sawman

Reply #72 on: August 02, 2015, 08:15:42 PM
No. I don't collect anything at all. Except SAKs, hats, and Fender (musical instrument) memorabilia.

My wife hates collecting things and thinks collecting stuff is silly and a waste of space. So she doesn't collecting anything either. Except makeup, perfume, and artwork featuring dogs (namely poodles).
LOL!!

That is one awesome avatar yeti! :cheers:
SAW

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #73 on: August 03, 2015, 07:37:41 PM

That is one awesome avatar yeti! :cheers:
Thanks. I didn't make that. I found it online.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #74 on: August 03, 2015, 09:50:59 PM
From time to time I collected modest and finite amounts of several things, with usability and/or presentability in mind.
Lead/Pewter soldiers
Gemstones and minerals
Thimbles (for my wife)
Miniature perfumes (for my daughter)
LPs (my hard rock years) and CDs (my classical years). Now I have 100x in mp3 format on my disks
Books, now I have loads of ebooks but still buy whatever hits the buttons (natural sciences mostly)
Optics, all for use
Multitools and SAKs with usability in mind (some will go unused tobmy kids)
Stamps and coins in the past (for my son now)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 09:53:07 PM by kkokkolis »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #75 on: August 04, 2015, 12:16:59 PM
Nice collection of soldiers K - do you paint them too?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: August 04, 2015, 01:43:44 PM
I'm also a collector, always have been, always will be......

Fortunately/unfortunately  life got in the way and on several occasion I had to get rid of a lot, had to give stuff away or sell at a fraction of the cost because I couldn't afford to move it with me.

My knife collection was stolen (99% of it) many years ago.

The blade addiction returned with a vengeance bit more than a year ago, and mostly because for the first time in years I have a bit of disposable income.
I'll be the first to admit that my knife & tool buying is now at an irresponsible level.

I've been pondering this and questioning my behavior and motivation.

I would love to hang my knives on the wall and look at them every day.  As things stand they're hidden away in a secret compartment and a bit of a hassle to get at.

I realised the knives I use gave me more joy than the better, prettier and much more expensive knives  I have hidden away - this in turns leads me to question the whole collection.

More often than not I get to the week before payday and there's nothing left.

I can't justify it as an investment because I'm mostly buying production stuff, there's no realistic resale market locally, and I have nobody to leave it all to....

I need to stop, but I don't want to.
I need to buy a new(er) car, but I don't want to because then I'm back to working just to pay a car.

:D And when I read back over this I'm glad I don't have the problems of a rich man!  :rofl:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #77 on: August 04, 2015, 02:05:52 PM
I'm also a collector, always have been, always will be......

Fortunately/unfortunately  life got in the way and on several occasion I had to get rid of a lot, had to give stuff away or sell at a fraction of the cost because I couldn't afford to move it with me.

My knife collection was stolen (99% of it) many years ago.

The blade addiction returned with a vengeance bit more than a year ago, and mostly because for the first time in years I have a bit of disposable income.
I'll be the first to admit that my knife & tool buying is now at an irresponsible level.

I've been pondering this and questioning my behavior and motivation.

I would love to hang my knives on the wall and look at them every day.  As things stand they're hidden away in a secret compartment and a bit of a hassle to get at.

I realised the knives I use gave me more joy than the better, prettier and much more expensive knives  I have hidden away - this in turns leads me to question the whole collection.

More often than not I get to the week before payday and there's nothing left.

I can't justify it as an investment because I'm mostly buying production stuff, there's no realistic resale market locally, and I have nobody to leave it all to....

I need to buy a new(er) car, but I don't want to because then I'm back to working just to pay a car.

:D And when I read back over this I'm glad I don't have the problems of a rich man!  :rofl:

Interesting and honest post Gerhard.

The reasons people collect and what they choose to collect is fascinating to me - even more so when it doesn't bring the joy or satisfaction imagined. It's also interesting to see at what point the collector says 'No, enough, this isn't working for me' (if that's how they feel).

Both you and Tosh have stated that your collections don't seem to be giving you the pleasure you thought they would and that you should stop but won't. What is your motivation for continuing?

I'm asking just out of interest - no judgement. If you're going to collect stuff you can do a lot worse than MT's. Feel free to tell me to butt out if I'm being intrusive.

Cheers chaps  :salute:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #78 on: August 04, 2015, 03:27:16 PM
-snip-

"You don't need to stop, those aren't the blades you're looking for, they can be on their way to SAK Guy"

Problem solved!!! (I'll PM you my address)

:D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #79 on: August 04, 2015, 03:36:17 PM
I believe it is diamond willow.  :salute:
That stuff is expensive but is suppose to be one of the lightest yet strongest woods, I'd like to get my hands on a piece of saguaro wood for a stick.
JR

Surely it can't be more expensive than ebony  :ahhh
I've been looking on and off for the past year or more for a slab of the stuff.... Nothing!!

Considering many (most?) ebony species are threatened, that's not surprising.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebony#Legal_penalties_for_illegal_sales_and_importation

Saguaros are also protected but the wood is easily found in the desert and it seemed to me it was not useful for much. The inside of the cactus looks like bows shipbuilders make but by the time you see it it is usually rotted or the termites got to it. You did mean the cactus, right? Somebody in Arizona or California ought to be able to find some for you.
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: August 04, 2015, 03:53:37 PM
Here is some ebony that I collect...

1970's J Russell Green River

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline sawman

Reply #81 on: August 04, 2015, 04:00:46 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Those are great! :drool: :D
SAW

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #82 on: August 04, 2015, 04:10:49 PM
Thanks Saw!!!  :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #83 on: August 04, 2015, 04:45:32 PM

Delicious as usual SG  :salute:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: August 04, 2015, 08:21:11 PM

Both you and Tosh have stated that your collections don't seem to be giving you the pleasure you thought they would and that you should stop but won't. What is your motivation for continuing?

I'm asking just out of interest - no judgement. If you're going to collect stuff you can do a lot worse than MT's. Feel free to tell me to butt out if I'm being intrusive.

Cheers chaps  :salute:

Well......might be a bit strong to say I don't enjoy my collection :D , probably more accurate to say I realize its irresponsible and that taints having something I don't use.....
Right now, knives are like reconnecting with a high school sweetheart you haven't seen in 20 years.
The concept of the knife as the First Tool really resonates with me.
Almost daily I feel like an idiot when a good, sharp knife helps me, I spent YEARS with a few good knives in my kitchen, and the rest was utter crap for the most part.
I have zero job security so possibly I'm just enjoying it while it lasts.  :cheers: 

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #85 on: August 04, 2015, 08:25:42 PM
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!