Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thought she was lost, but she was just hiding. Glock 78. (Pic heavy)

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Glock Field knife 78. Its a great fixed blade. I misplaced it for over a year and just found it earlier. The one and only thing that is a bummer about this knife is it does not come even remotely sharp from the factory. Which leads me to a little story. I took it to be "professionally" sharpened. The guy sharpened it up and then went to wipe it down with some sort of oil of something. Well it instantly started to strip off the black coating.  :facepalm: I was kind of bummed, but he did not charge me for the sharpening of this or the Stretch I had taken to him. Now if this was the end of the story I would of been much happier. I was looking at the coating and noticed his sharpening job. Double  :facepalm: :facepalm:. This guy is supposed to be a professional and this is how he sharpens. The edge is terribly uneven and some spots were not even hit. Its a complete mess of a sharpening job. I will let the pictures speak for themselves. Surprisingly though it is actually pretty sharp. I was still very disappointed that this guy smurfed up the edge and stripped some of the coating off. Some quick things about the knife though. It is basically indestructible. Check out some hard use destruction test of this knife online. Very impressive. It can be used as a throwing knife as it is perfectly balanced. The end cap can be popped off and there is two holes so you can put a stick in there and drive a nail through to make a spear. Last but not least you can use the guard to open beer bottles.  :D

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:58:55 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Very impressive!!!!!!!!!  :2tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
That Pro Sharpener did a number on the edge.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

• Absolute Zombie Club

I know. What a jackass. Thank goodness he didn't do that to my Spyderco Stretch I took to him or he would of owed me a new knife. Lesson learned and I bought a Sharpmaker after that experience. I will never let anyone sharpen one of my knives again unless I send it in to the manufacturer.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 03:46:26 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
 :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Cool blade Cap...glad you found it!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
They are a fantastic blade. I'm glad you found it again :)

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline David

Glad you found your knife again. It's nice when that happens. That video is a interesting one.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Kwakster will get a heart attack if he sees those pics... I think I could have done that. With an angle grinder.

Luckily we have a professional knife dealer (kitchen knives) and sharpener on our weekly market. He sets up stall bi-weekly and has a professional belt Sander and leatehr polishing wheel in his truck. It´s equipmant out of a Solingen Knife Manufacture rigged up in his car.

He gets used to me bringing by my newest flea market/ebay purchases with busted edges or my kitchen knives needing a new edge.

And on topic, teh Glock is an indestructible tool. I don´t know if he is known outside germany, but Rüdiger Nehberg, a survival expert and activist for human rights and native tribes has written a small instrucion on how to cnvertt one into a survival knife in one of his books. I´ll see if I can find it and show a pic or two withouth infringing his copyrights.

hr Offline styx

One of the 2 Glock products I actually like (the other one being their e-tool)  :tu: :tu:

As far as the sharpening, I'd wager he simply put it on a grinder and that is it. A local knifemaker told me about his story with professional sharpeners that charged him double the value of the blade in question.
And then people tell me that my $2.50 for small knives and $5 for larger ones is too steep  :facepalm:
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
One of the 2 Glock products I actually like (the other one being their e-tool)  :tu: :tu:

As far as the sharpening, I'd wager he simply put it on a grinder and that is it. A local knifemaker told me about his story with professional sharpeners that charged him double the value of the blade in question.
And then people tell me that my $2.50 for small knives and $5 for larger ones is too steep  :facepalm:

I think good work needs to be paid fair. your prices seem fine to me. I pay somehwere between 3-8 € depending on edge shape, length and condition.

hr Offline styx

I think it's more of our mentality than anything else. Things are either replaceable or it is as simple as using angle grinders or bench grinders. And then you get a mess like Cap did. If you're lucky

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I recently found my Glock knife too, and it is in sad shape. It had been left in a box in the garage for a few years and now has some serious rust on it.

The nice thing about these knives is that they clean up really well.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Joe58

They are a pretty tough knife. I was looking at mine yesterday since I just starting in on sorting out the box I'd put it in. I do need to see if I can get a more serviceable edge on it though.

Be a good knife for your grab and go bag I think.
🇨🇭

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Before I got mine, I had thought it slid on a picatinny rail. Was a little disappointed you couldn't use it as a bayonet at the time.  :facepalm:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
If they had done that to any of my blades I would have thrown up, and that's just for starters.

THAT makes me SICK cap'n! I'm so sorry they messed up your blade like that on such a beautiful knife :td:

SAW

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club

I know. What a jackass. Thank goodness he didn't do that to my Spyderco Stretch I took to him or he would of owed me a new knife. Lesson learned and I bought a Sharpmaker after that experience. I will never let anyone sharpen one of my knives again unless I send it in to the manufacturer.

Don't worry Cap! A couple thousand passes on a "quality" carbide sharpener will clean that right up.....

>:D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

gb Offline Man in the Moon

I've owned a numbers of Glock knives - I was able to obtain a very, very  good edge using a Lansky system & diamond hones, which was just as well since the Lansky is the only sharpener I can get on with  :D  At some point I gave up trying to re-touch the blade with commercial gun blue and polished the blade instead. 

hr Offline styx

Don't worry Cap! A couple thousand passes on a "quality" carbide sharpener will clean that right up.....

(Image removed from quote.)

The carbide sharpeners do make one hell of a ferro rod striker though. And they can work out the kinks in a mangled blade a bit too fast

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club

The carbide sharpeners do make one hell of a ferro rod striker though. And they can work out the kinks in a mangled blade a bit too fast

LOL. Just yanking Cap's chain....I know how much he despises dislikes the carbide sharpeners!    :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

hr Offline styx

Well I'd actually be willing to experiment with one kind of carbide sharpeners to see just how good of an edge can be had with 'em.
And I do admit that I was dismissive of 'em until a buddy of mine made an utter idiot out of himself and one such thing helped out solve a problem. Jackass forgot his knife when he went hunting, so ended up dressing a deer with a can lid

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
I use them on extremely abused/dull blades to get a bevel started but if you push too hard, you can see the steel coming right off.....
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

hr Offline styx

This is an extremely misleading video but I want to see if these type of results can be achieved. While slicing thin paper might not be the best test it does tend to indicate a knife that will perform most kitchen tasks very good in my experience

• Absolute Zombie Club
This is an extremely misleading video but I want to see if these type of results can be achieved. While slicing thin paper might not be the best test it does tend to indicate a knife that will perform most kitchen tasks very good in my experience

I have no problem with a sharpener like that as it is not a pull through and on top of that seems to be (at least to me) more of a "on the go" sharpener. A sharpener like that is more for maintaining a edge rather than setting a edge though.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club

LOL. Just yanking Cap's chain....I know how much he despises dislikes the carbide sharpeners!    :cheers:

I just hate any pull through design. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.
I'm the milk man!

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
While those Glock knives are basically indestructible, they are also difficult to get a good & lasting edge on due to the lower hardness & the obtuse edge angle.
If i were in the US and had doubts about my own sharpening abilities i would send my knives to Razor Edge Knives, a very friendly guy who is active on Bladeforums US:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1243155-Professional-Sharpening-Regrind-Cerakote-Service-(pic-heavy!!)

He can also do very nice regrinds, something you could consider for thicker bladed knives like the Glock.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:48:19 AM by kwakster »

• Absolute Zombie Club
While those Glock knives are basically indestructible, they are also difficult to get a good & lasting edge on due to the lower hardness & the obtuse edge angle.
If i were in the US and had doubts about my own sharpening abilities i would send my knives to Razor Edge Knives, a very friendly guy who is active on Bladeforums US:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1243155-Professional-Sharpening-Regrind-Cerakote-Service-(pic-heavy!!)

He can also do very nice regrinds, something you could consider for thicker bladed knives like the Glock.

I can sharpen it myself now. This was before I was real familiar with sharpening.
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD