Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

sog question..

us Offline rescue4500

sog question..
on: July 28, 2015, 08:14:36 PM
Compound Leverage.... does it make that much of a difference??? Ive never owned, held, or even saw in person a SOG multitool. I was looking at the pocket powerplier, something small with extra plier grip for fishing would be nice.. but seriously is compound leverage any better??
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Re: sog question..
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 09:27:38 PM
It makes a difference. You can definitely cut more (tougher materials or same stuff easier) using a compound leverage SOG. Someone with a lot more smarts than me came up with some formulas that determined the actual mechanical advantage a SOG has over a LM. If memory serves, it was between 1.5 and 2.0 times more force applied in favor of the SOG (I'm thinking 1.8).

A co-worker let me cut a nickel in half with his Powerlock. I was impressed.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 02:37:13 AM
So if it cut better than it would give more gripping power to take a hook out of a tough old catfish mouth
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 02:40:31 AM
So if it cut better than it would give more gripping power to take a hook out of a tough old catfish mouth
It should be great for that :tu:
SAW

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 02:41:31 AM
Bc for the first time ever my wave slipped off what it was gripping

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 02:43:18 AM
Compound Leverage.... does it make that much of a difference??? Ive never owned, held, or even saw in person a SOG multitool. I was looking at the pocket powerplier, something small with extra plier grip for fishing would be nice.. but seriously is compound leverage any better??

Great pliers on the pocket powerplier
Finer tip for grasping
Plus it opens easily with one hand which can be very helpful while fishing

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 02:49:31 AM
That's another thing it's hard to open a wave with one hand

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 06:24:55 PM
You will get more gripping power but be aware that compared to other MTs you have to spread the handles further apart to open the pliers the same amount.  May be awkward for those with smaller hands.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 09:24:25 PM
I can't see that you'd need more gripping power for fishing. Seems like longer reach would be more important.

Gerber used to make a fishing version of their Multi-plier with an extra long, thin nose. (also one-handed-opening)
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 06:12:23 AM
Found this for you to read.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46265.msg753490.html#msg753490
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 08:17:50 AM
I can't see that you'd need more gripping power for fishing. Seems like longer reach would be more important.

Gerber used to make a fishing version of their Multi-plier with an extra long, thin nose. (also one-handed-opening)
I believe it was the 600, just a fishing version. I'm a huge leatherman, but i only use the gerber fishermen when in the water. The one handed opening and elongated pliers can't be beat.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 10:27:25 PM

I believe it was the 600, just a fishing version. I'm a huge leatherman, but i only use the gerber fishermen when in the water. The one handed opening and elongated pliers can't be beat.
Im pretty sure there was aa fishing version of the 400, and the flik as well. Not tI mention the Winchester fishing models
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31