Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Stinking leather!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Stinking leather!
on: July 30, 2015, 04:17:30 AM
As I've been looking for different quarters, I've had a bunch of stuff in storage at my folks, including several of my firearms and my spare leather and nylon gear. I picked up my dressy (least scuzzed black leather) holster and magazine carrier (along with things like a couple ties, dress shoes, ets). The holster is fine. The mag carrier... phew!

It smells a little like spoiled milk. I have no idea why, it was in a dry place. But one that gets warm. I'm thinking that it is an issue with the tanning, but I'd like to neutralize the stink. Any ideas?
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Re: Stinking leather!
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 10:09:44 PM
A little car Christmas tree air freshener? Because, nothing smells better when your in a gunfight than new car smell!
On a serious note you could try leather cleaner or shoe deodorant

Sent from my iPhone using A box of monkeys on a treadmill and a quantum leap

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 06:43:52 PM
Good saddle soap and if that doesn't work then bury it in powdered charcoal or diatomacious earth. Bad spelling probably. Anyway you should be able to get a good sized, cheap bag from any auto parts store. One of the uses is soaking up oil spills but it is very absorbent and works for a lot of stuff. Powdered charcoal would be better probably but I am not sure where you can get some. Do not try crushing match-light charcoal. You need pure charcoal for this. I guess you could burn a stack of maple like the whiskey distillers do, depending on where you live.
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 08:23:56 PM
Good saddle soap and if that doesn't work then bury it in powdered charcoal or diatomacious earth. Bad spelling probably. Anyway you should be able to get a good sized, cheap bag from any auto parts store. One of the uses is soaking up oil spills but it is very absorbent and works for a lot of stuff. Powdered charcoal would be better probably but I am not sure where you can get some. Do not try crushing match-light charcoal. You need pure charcoal for this. I guess you could burn a stack of maple like the whiskey distillers do, depending on where you live.

Could try pharmacy.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 04:24:26 AM
Good saddle soap and if that doesn't work then bury it in powdered charcoal or diatomacious earth.

Thanks, I hadn't throught of that.

Irony is that it is in a ziplock so I don't have to smell it, on a shelf that has a jar of diatomaceous earth on it.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

00 Offline rebel

Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 01:41:18 PM
Good saddle soap and if that doesn't work then bury it in powdered charcoal or diatomacious earth.

Thanks, I hadn't throught of that.

Irony is that it is in a ziplock so I don't have to smell it, on a shelf that has a jar of diatomaceous earth on it.

Excellent! Try it for a week and see how it goes.
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 06:31:59 AM
Oh, I'm going to give it two. I openned the ziplock and it just about knocked me off my feet it was so foul.

00 Offline rebel

Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 04:17:39 PM
Oh, I'm going to give it two. I openned the ziplock and it just about knocked me off my feet it was so foul.

That is surprising. I am shocked. What exactly stank up the leather in the first place? Maybe it does need a good washing and saddling soaping before soaking in diatomaceous earth or powdered charcoal.
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 04:59:47 AM
That is surprising. I am shocked. What exactly stank up the leather in the first place? Maybe it does need a good washing and saddling soaping before soaking in diatomaceous earth or powdered charcoal.

I have no idea. Just a light washing got it out of the other leather items in my suit carrier. The clothing and bag just needed a round in the washing machine.

If I had to describe the smell, it's like a lot like renin that has been sitting in the sun, with a cloying sweetness. But the knock you over degree of funk isn't there- maybe it had just been building in the bag before I tossed in the diatomaceous. I just checked it, and it's a little funky, but that might have been on the bag. New bag with fresh fossils, then I'll wash it and give it saddle soap in a few days.

What I'm wondering is if either (a) it's got a bad tanning, (b) a bad dying, or (c) it was in storage over a year, after spending a year in my glove compartment with a pair of spares. I'm wondering if maybe I cooked it, and then it spend a year being ignored, and it is just pissed at me. But the owners manual for my car nor the leather sheath of the Buck that I had in there and still have in there have that funk. The other idea I'm open to is if maybe it got splashed with something the last time I wore it at a shindig and somehow I didn't notice, but I'm kind of grasping there.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 07:07:48 AM

Wouldn't fish aquarium activated charcoal work?
http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-PA0373-Activated-40-Ounce-1134-Gram/dp/B0002566WY/

Then there is also activated charcoal for water pitchers: http://www.amazon.com/Kishu-Charcoal-Activated-Filter-Bottles/dp/B00AW0A8XW/

Check the weight. The fish stuff is probably cheaper.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%