Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Now what to do?

us Offline bayoublade

Now what to do?
on: July 31, 2015, 01:19:39 AM
So, today, I got a package from a relative. In it was a check that was payback for a donation I made for them and also.............. A Kershaw leek that they gave me because they simply didn't use it and I had expressed interest.
Now, I've not carried a knife in nearly a year due to becoming addicted (there, I said it) to leathermans but as I handle this trick little piece, it's reminding me of all the things I loved about carrying a knife.......... but then again, I'm missing the tools I've come to know, love and use from my LMs.
I don't like EDC-ing a ton of things; I know that philosophy isn't for everyone, so I'm just throwing the thought out there, what are some of the ways you guys carry multiple pieces of gear? -new knife pics below-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: Now what to do?
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 01:39:59 AM
Small knife carried dexterous in a hip pocket It is quick and easy to get to, for all the little knifey things that happen in a day.

Leatherman mounted sinister on the bat belt. Accessible, but not in the way.

I have no problem carrying both, plus it means when you get caught loaning one out to one of the uninitiated, you still have the other at hand.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:41:00 AM by Sea Monster »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 01:44:11 AM
Knife with a pocket clip and Leatherman in a sheath.

us Offline bayoublade

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 01:56:15 AM

Small knife carried dexterous in a hip pocket It is quick and easy to get to, for all the little knifey things that happen in a day.

Leatherman mounted sinister on the bat belt. Accessible, but not in the way.

I have no problem carrying both, plus it means when you get caught loaning one out to one of the uninitiated, you still have the other at hand.
Pics of the Bat Belt man!!!!! :-)

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 01:59:27 AM

Trade Secret  ;)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 01:59:43 AM
Dedicated blade is never a bad idea and one as thin as the leek should be easily carried next to wallet ( if wallet is front pocket carried ).  You can also carry it opposite side of your MT in pocket then use one blade for "dirty" and one for "clean" things.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sjdep97

Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 02:08:25 AM
Get yourself a Skinth sheath and you can carry any multi tool and your little Kershaw very comfortably!
NRA Life member

us Offline bayoublade

Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 02:12:27 AM

Dedicated blade is never a bad idea and one as thin as the leek should be easily carried next to wallet ( if wallet is front pocket carried ).  You can also carry it opposite side of your MT in pocket then use one blade for "dirty" and one for "clean" things.   
Get yourself a Skinth sheath and you can carry any multi tool and your little Kershaw very comfortably!
Very good suggestions!
Aloha... That's what I may do!
Skinth isn't a bad option either... It's just always been hard for me to put stuff on my belt... But I may get over it ;-)

us Offline bayoublade

Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 02:12:50 AM

Trade Secret  ;)
Understood! ;-)

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 10:35:06 PM
That's a Leek, right? I have one; great knife. Careful of the tip though, it'll be easy to bend with rough use or round off by improper sharpening technique. (don't let it "roll off" the end of the stone as you finish the strokes)

Ideas:

• Try carrying it to compliment an MT whose blade is not so accessible. This, clipped on a pocket, will be MUCH faster to deploy than any MT from a pouch, and especially so for MTs where the knife is internal
  • Use the Leek for precision tasks, where that sharp tip would help
  • Use the Leek for food on the go, aka "The Clean Blade"
  • Pair it with an MT without a plain edge, for example a Swisstool Spirit with the serrated square blade
I resist carrying more than one MT too, but sometimes, it just makes sense.

Today, I'm carrying my Leatherman Rebar, and complimenting it with a Victorinox Classic. The Classic gives me a small blade, toothpick and tweezers, micro screwdriver tip and scissors, none of which the Rebar has, and it is SO tiny and easy to carry, I don't even feel bad about it.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline bayoublade

Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 07:51:11 AM

That's a Leek, right? I have one; great knife. Careful of the tip though, it'll be easy to bend with rough use or round off by improper sharpening technique. (don't let it "roll off" the end of the stone as you finish the strokes)

Ideas:

• Try carrying it to compliment an MT whose blade is not so accessible. This, clipped on a pocket, will be MUCH faster to deploy than any MT from a pouch, and especially so for MTs where the knife is internal
  • Use the Leek for precision tasks, where that sharp tip would help
  • Use the Leek for food on the go, aka "The Clean Blade"
  • Pair it with an MT without a plain edge, for example a Swisstool Spirit with the serrated square blade
I resist carrying more than one MT too, but sometimes, it just makes sense.

Today, I'm carrying my Leatherman Rebar, and complimenting it with a Victorinox Classic. The Classic gives me a small blade, toothpick and tweezers, micro screwdriver tip and scissors, none of which the Rebar has, and it is SO tiny and easy to carry, I don't even feel bad about it.
Thanks for the great tips. I carried it today back pocket/wallet side with a Wave front pocket and actually enjoyed knowing I had both... Until I stabbed myself putting my wallet back in my pocket at the grocery store because the clip had been inverted and the blade opened in my back pocket when I took out my wallet to pay haha! Needless to say the first thing I did at home (after securing my wound lol) was to swap the clip to the other side.
My main three MTs are my Wave, Rebar and Spirit X. All three possess a rescue blade and all three have a plain edge... so I guess the combo blade on the Leek will be the serration if I need it in a pinch :-)
Thanks a lot for the sharpening tip; I've heard a lot of caution given on the Leek's blade.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD