Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is the old style combo tool a better screwdriver?

us Offline tommywp

Is the old style combo tool a better screwdriver?
on: July 31, 2015, 02:56:21 PM
I was looking at old Golfers on eBay and noticed that the bottom corner of the combo tool is clipped unlike the current version which comes to a point. I'd imagine that the newer version is a better can opener, but does the clipped corner improve the tool as a screwdriver? If so, might have to file it down on my Compact.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 23.86 KB)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 02:57:32 PM by tommywp »

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Re: Is the old style combo tool a better screwdriver?
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 03:34:44 PM
As long as you never have to open a can, I guess it'd be OK.

-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 03:49:20 AM
I was looking at old Golfers on eBay and noticed that the bottom corner of the combo tool is clipped unlike the current version which comes to a point. I'd imagine that the newer version is a better can opener, but does the clipped corner improve the tool as a screwdriver? If so, might have to file it down on my Compact.

Interesting question.  I have both new and old combos...I'm trying both out this weekend to do my own test.  I'll let you know my thoughts afterwards.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 11:28:46 PM

Interesting question.  I have both new and old combos...I'm trying both out this weekend to do my own test.  I'll let you know my thoughts afterwards.

I went through my 84's and 91's to check the combo tool style.  Only the 84's without a 90degree stop (pre-1985ish) had the older style head on the combo tool.  Everything else has the newer style tool.

After opening 4 cans over the last two days using both styles, I'd say the newer combo tool wins the can opening contest going away.  Both do the job, but the newer style does the job with less effort.

After driving five 1" wood screws, both tools worked equally well as screwdrivers.  I didn't change the size of the screws in this little test.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline tommywp

Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 05:27:16 AM
Thanks  stmliner. Exactly what I wanted to know. Guess I'll leave it as-is.  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%