Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who's upping to windows 10?

jzmtl · 179 · 12395

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Who's upping to windows 10?
on: July 31, 2015, 06:21:41 PM
So? I have three computers that are eligible, but not sure if I should even though I reserved it. One is a year new all-in-one that runs some non-core low power processor which can probably handle windows 10, another is a win8 tablet that I'm not sure, and the last is a netbook (remember these underpowered POS from several years back?) running win7, that I really doubt has enough computing power. I do have recovery partition backed up for all of them so I guess I can always revert back to their original OS if it didn't work out though.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Re: Who's upping to windows 10?
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 08:56:18 PM
I had it and regressed back to Win 8.1.

I like it, but not the forced automatic updates. On my laptop, I prefer to run an older driver for the touchpad which works fine under win 10. Everytime there is an update, windows insists on upgrading the driver as well to the latest version.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 10:28:50 PM
I'll upgrade my laptop when I have the chance, and if it dies, well it dies.  The laptop is many years old and is on its last legs anyway.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 11:35:23 PM
Is this a free upgrade? Apple products may be more pricey but you get the OS free. I hate Microsoft :td:
SAW

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 11:47:04 PM
Windows 10 is a free upgrade to those on Windows 7 and 8.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 07:54:07 AM
Windows 10 is a free upgrade to those on Windows 7 and 8.

More than that, Windows 10 is also free for anyone that was part of the Windows Insider beta testing program.  I just upgraded to 10 Pro last night from a beta edition installed over a Windows 7 OEM license I got on eBay for $20 about 3 years ago.

I think I'm getting pretty good value out of that purchase, personally.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 04:02:58 PM
I tried Windows 8 on a new laptop and it was garbage.  I went back to Windows 7, but I had to get a business laptop in order to get 7. 

I'll wait and see on Windows 10. Until the business community adopts Windows 10, I won't touch it. Companies like operating systems that work.  Windows 8 doesn't work and you don't see it used in business.

My Dell Latitude running Windows 7 may be boring and stodgy, but it works.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:11:06 PM by shamus »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 04:17:37 PM
Is this a free upgrade? Apple products may be more pricey but you get the OS free. I hate Microsoft :td:

Is it really "free" when you paid 3x the cost for the machine?

For the cost of a basic MacBook I can get an upper mid range gaming PC, or I can get 3 basic PC's.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 04:26:55 PM

For the cost of a basic MacBook I can get an upper mid range gaming PC, or I can get 3 basic PC's.

Def

also Mac OSX is based on a FREE operating system to begin with, BSD.  then customized.  BSD, Unix, and Linux are all cousins.  I just run Linux, Free OS, Cheap Hardware.
If I can help, let me know 

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 05:29:30 PM
I have windows 7 on my laptop, but don't think I'll be upgrading. I don't like the way Windows are moving towards moving everything net based, and I've ditched their phones because of this (placing contact details online rather than storing them on the device). The other complication I have is that the Win7 I have is preinstalled which means that support doesn't come from Windows, but from Toshiba. I looked into wiping it and doing a clean install recently, but I can't get a downloaded version of the OS from Microsoft on the license key, I have to pay an additional £40 for a bloatware riddled package from Toshiba.

I might be bending Detron's ear soon and tapping him for info on Linux.  ;) Seems like the most sensible way to get my laptop finally running like a computer should  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 05:47:21 PM
Upgraded our laptop from 8.1 to 10 not really used it enough to have an opinion on it yet.

wife's machine will stay on 7 at least for now as her aftermarket soundcard and broadcast software may not be compatible, at least until I upgrade her software...

I'm looking at nuking my win7 partition in favour of a clean install of Ubuntu Mate 15.04
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 08:47:26 PM
I have windows 7 on my laptop, but don't think I'll be upgrading. I don't like the way Windows are moving towards moving everything net based, and I've ditched their phones because of this (placing contact details online rather than storing them on the device). The other complication I have is that the Win7 I have is preinstalled which means that support doesn't come from Windows, but from Toshiba. I looked into wiping it and doing a clean install recently, but I can't get a downloaded version of the OS from Microsoft on the license key, I have to pay an additional £40 for a bloatware riddled package from Toshiba.

I might be bending Detron's ear soon and tapping him for info on Linux.  ;) Seems like the most sensible way to get my laptop finally running like a computer should  :)

Psst, over here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 10:08:14 PM
Tried that as soon as I'd got back from the meet after speaking to you and Tom. Got a pop-up message saying download is not possible as the license was for pre-installed software, contact your laptop manufacturer. That's why I'd have to pay Toshiba £40 for a spammed up single use re-installation disk full of their bloatware  ::)

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 10:11:34 PM
Tried that as soon as I'd got back from the meet after speaking to you and Tom. Got a pop-up message saying download is not possible as the license was for pre-installed software, contact your laptop manufacturer. That's why I'd have to pay Toshiba £40 for a spammed up single use re-installation disk full of their bloatware  ::)

PM me your address, I'll post you an image on DVD, all legit and legal :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 10:32:37 PM
PM sent mate  :salute:

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 12:08:55 AM
I'll wait and see on Windows 10. Until the business community adopts Windows 10, I won't touch it. Companies like operating systems that work.  Windows 8 doesn't work and you don't see it used in business.

Actually for the vast majority of companies the reason they don't upgrade operating systems is not wanting to spend money, not because the new OS is buggy or unreliable.

So this is probably not a good way to measure whether or not a piece of software is any good.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 01:16:02 AM
Actually for the vast majority of companies the reason they don't upgrade operating systems is not wanting to spend money, not because the new OS is buggy or unreliable.

We use XP  :-\

As for personal use - I won't be upgrading unless or until I have no choice.
I only bought a computer because they ended support for my type writer and vacuum tube set up.

When this whole internet thing blows over, you'll all look like chumps and I will be in my tallship, splicing the mainbrace, and laughing all the way to the mattress full of dubloons.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 01:43:21 AM
Hey, don't get me wrong - there can be legitimate concerns with companies running legacy hardware or mission-critical software that would require a substantial amount of time and effort to ensure compatibility with a new OS.

However, from personal experience there are many companies that just don't want to spend the money rolling out new software (takes time and effort even if the software is free) or to retrain users.  So, they keep plugging away at the same OS until they have no choice but to upgrade.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 12:57:56 PM
In my experience it's the fact that they want you to spend more money on the new compatible version.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 02:45:09 PM
In my experience it's the fact that they want you to spend more money on the new compatible version.

In the past I would have agreed with you, but one of the machines I have updated to 10 is a pretty lame celeron based laptop and it runs better now than it did on 7. Being impartial as well it dual boots to Mint.

At work we've been on the insider program and as we have some machines that are way too long in the tooth they will replaced with win 10 machines.

I've updated two out of my three machines, the only one I'm holding off on is this one which has dual GTX780's in SLi. That will get upgraded to 10 as soon as MS and Nvidia sort there stuff out.

I'm really not seeing any major downsides to 10 (apart from the settings/control panel bullsmurf).

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 04:33:06 PM
I meant aftermarket software packages... they tend to not be compatible with the new version of windows. I still haven't played with our laptop enough to know how I feel about it, but I see there's a bunch of preset settings that need changing...

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/08/01/1923256/ask-slashdot-can-you-disable-windows-10s-privacy-invading-features

Privacy
Bandwidth stealing
Browser overriding

I plan to make a list of settings to fix as I assume I'll need to sort that stuff on my inlaws machines when they update as well...

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 04:52:10 PM
I meant aftermarket software packages... they tend to not be compatible with the new version of windows. I still haven't played with our laptop enough to know how I feel about it, but I see there's a bunch of preset settings that need changing...

http://yro.slashdot.org/s...privacy-invading-features

Privacy
Bandwidth stealing
Browser overriding

I plan to make a list of settings to fix as I assume I'll need to sort that stuff on my inlaws machines when they update as well...

Granted on the settings changes, but none of my software has had problems with 10, although I'm somewhat dubious about the privacy aspects /. does have a history of M$ bashing. I'm OS agnostic as long as you don't make me use OSX for any length of time  :rofl:

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 05:22:52 PM

Def

Thats like saying for the price of your jeep you could get 3 suzuki jimmy's

I

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #23 on: August 02, 2015, 06:24:01 PM

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/08/01/1923256/ask-slashdot-can-you-disable-windows-10s-privacy-invading-features

Privacy
Bandwidth stealing
Browser overriding

Could you explain the Browser overriding thing?

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: August 02, 2015, 06:46:28 PM

Def

Thats like saying for the price of your jeep you could get 3 suzuki jimmy's

(Image removed from quote.)

Jimny isn't available here or I might have.  :P

Def

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #25 on: August 02, 2015, 07:35:07 PM

Privacy
Bandwidth stealing
Browser overriding

It defaults to the edge browser regardless of what you install and use, you have to go to settings to change the default browser. It's an extra step to take, not the end of the world as some (most) click bait websites have been saying.

Linky http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/07/windows-10-upgrade-resets-your-default-browser-to-edge-mozilla-is-very-unhappy/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:37:59 PM by Smashie »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #26 on: August 02, 2015, 08:29:13 PM

Privacy
Bandwidth stealing
Browser overriding

It defaults to the edge browser regardless of what you install and use, you have to go to settings to change the default browser. It's an extra step to take, not the end of the world as some (most) click bait websites have been saying.

Linky http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/07/windows-10-upgrade-resets-your-default-browser-to-edge-mozilla-is-very-unhappy/

Thanks Smashie! I've started a Windows 10 research folder to keep all this info in. I use Firefox (and iTunes) and would have been extremely unhappy to find Edge (and Windows Media Player) as my defaults.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: August 02, 2015, 08:45:18 PM
From what I understand they are all quite easy to disable/fix/revert, it's just the idea that they use the excuse of the upgrade to dump preferences (probably due to incompatibilities)

Disabling the update sharing (bandwidth raping) was quite easy... But wait until some of the US internet providers get into a huff about that one, I'd imagine it's as well received as bittorrent updates in some games in the past, since obviously only pirates use technology like bittorrent  :facepalm:

I wish that some of these things had been dialogs before or post update, so I could choose my preference. I'm sure the EU will throw up a stink about the browser preference thing, as in the past.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #28 on: August 02, 2015, 09:43:58 PM
Wish me luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hr Offline styx

Reply #29 on: August 02, 2015, 10:13:21 PM
good luck. i'm thinking of doing it so this will be curious
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%