Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who's upping to windows 10?

jzmtl · 179 · 12398

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: Who's upping to windows 10?
Reply #30 on: August 02, 2015, 11:01:39 PM
good luck. i'm thinking of doing it so this will be curious

+1!!!  :tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #31 on: August 02, 2015, 11:19:07 PM
Well..... After it finished, Cortona and the Start Menu failed to load, and I had to logout and back in probably 30+ times for it to work.

It seems to be going ok now, but haven't really played with it much yet. I also use my MacBook 99% of the time, but if the kids games don't work, I'm sure I'll hear about it!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #32 on: August 03, 2015, 09:06:32 AM
Not planning on upgrading at the moment. I quite like 8.1 with Classic Shell installed.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #33 on: August 03, 2015, 12:14:27 PM
I was ok with win7, imho, win8/8.1 was a bad move... as was win rt

windows 10 so far looks like what win8 should have been in the first place, the menu is more win7 ish.

My only real issue is that I really dislike the "flat" design. All that horsepower (CPU/GPU) to render plain windows and window decorations... really?
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: August 03, 2015, 01:14:21 PM
See that's my biggest concern. My laptop desperately needs more RAM (yea, I know an easy fix), but until I get to it Win 10 might be simply too much for it
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #35 on: August 03, 2015, 01:27:31 PM
So? I have three computers that are eligible, but not sure if I should even though I reserved it.

Friends don't let friends drive Windows...  ;)
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #36 on: August 03, 2015, 10:31:50 PM
See that's my biggest concern. My laptop desperately needs more RAM (yea, I know an easy fix), but until I get to it Win 10 might be simply too much for it

So does mine, but as an old machine it is maxed out at 4GB.  As I said, I need a new machine anyway, so if it gets pooched by the update that gives me an excuse to replace it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #37 on: August 04, 2015, 12:52:14 AM

So does mine, but as an old machine it is maxed out at 4GB.  As I said, I need a new machine anyway, so if it gets pooched by the update that gives me an excuse to replace it.

Def

My laptop is running fine on 3gb ram. If it didn't work I was going to replace it. Buts it's been fine so far
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: August 04, 2015, 12:59:01 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#sysreqs

Processor:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
RAM:
1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
Hard disk space:
16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
Graphics card:
DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
Display:
800x600

That's not terribly high requirements...

hr Offline styx

Reply #39 on: August 04, 2015, 08:42:46 AM
The machine I'm using has 2BG of RAM. So I gotta add more simply to run some other things more smoothly

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: August 04, 2015, 12:04:36 PM
I upgraded last night, and other than looking different I really don't see much difference.  So far positive points seem to be that it runs on my old machine and that the Start Menu is back.

There is also a personal assistant called Cortina that seems ok, but so far doesn't seem quite as useful as Google Now or the Samsung Assistant, but then I haven't really tested it too much yet.

Internet Explorer seems to have changed into Microsoft Edge, which seems a little faster but since I've been stuck on Firefox for the longest time I'm not sure that matters.

So far so good.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: August 04, 2015, 12:13:35 PM
I was using the laptop last night for some stuff, and actually ironically I momentarily missed the tile screen... since our laptop is touchscreen and converts into tablet mode it kind of made sense. It does seem to switch to tablet/tile mode when I fold the keyboard back. The scaling seems much better (our laptop has silly high screen resolution)

One minor annoyance so far was the screen rotation when I first opened it the screen was upside down, and rotated twice before finally being the right way up.

Otherwise seemed fine to run the plotter software.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: August 04, 2015, 12:32:05 PM
I don't miss the tile screen yet, but then I haven't used it too much.  Of course I only used the tile screen as a glorified start menu anyway.

Cortina did work well to start Netflix with a voice command so that was neat.

Def

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: August 05, 2015, 12:13:52 AM
Not planning on upgrading at the moment. I quite like 8.1 with Classic Shell installed.

+1

I had it reserved and then deleted it. It doesn't have anything I want or need and I like having the media center.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #44 on: August 05, 2015, 01:41:33 AM

How much RAM do you have now? My understanding is that Windows 10 does not need significantly more memory than Windows 7. Keep in mind that Microsoft has been working to keep the performance good so it can run on tablets that don't have a ton of RAM or powerful CPUs.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #45 on: August 05, 2015, 05:50:08 AM
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #46 on: August 05, 2015, 06:54:25 AM
Idk the first thing about this besides its on the comp? But the little guy was all over the wife all day today to up it? :think: like I said idk anything? But she spent like over 3hrs on the comp today!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

hr Offline styx

Reply #47 on: August 05, 2015, 10:00:59 AM

How much RAM do you have now? My understanding is that Windows 10 does not need significantly more memory than Windows 7. Keep in mind that Microsoft has been working to keep the performance good so it can run on tablets that don't have a ton of RAM or powerful CPUs.

2GB

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: August 05, 2015, 04:24:29 PM

2GB

Eh. That's not much at all.  Yeah. Just doubling your memory would probably help a good bit even with your current OS version.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #49 on: August 05, 2015, 07:54:30 PM
My rule is that I dont upgrade anything unless I need to, or am forced to (like buying a new laptop etc).  Both my desktop PCs still have xp on them.  :o  Ya I know, but it still works and I just dont need anything more modern.  I do have a win 7 laptop, but my PC needs are pretty light compared to what they used to be.  I think Id be more likely to do a linux intall now vs a modern windows system, just because my needs have no MS software in them.  I used to do .NET dev, but I dont any longer, and all applications I use are open source so I just have no need any longer.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #50 on: August 05, 2015, 09:24:22 PM
One reason I want to upgrade to 10 on my laptop is 7 does not have SED support, which the SSD I installed in it is. But I haven't found any info on if 10 has native support for it yet.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: August 06, 2015, 07:59:03 PM
Did the Windows 10 update last night from Windows 7 on my primary desktop. So far, so good. And I do think it's a user interface improvement over my experience with trying Windows 8.x machines.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #52 on: August 07, 2015, 06:18:52 PM
Just upped my laptop from win 7 to 10. Not sure if I like it, further UI dumb down.

Too smart for its own good too, broke my touchpad and wouldn't let me try to install the old driver to see if it fixes it. Won't let me uninstall MS security essential too, because it thinks I'm trying to install it and blocks it.  ::)

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #53 on: August 11, 2015, 04:29:26 AM
Well, last weekend Microsoft tried to force 3 gigs of some kind of update on me. I can only assume it is Win10. Auto updates off. I"ll risk it

We have a test machine at work to run our own QA to the changes development is making to our software. So far, I'm not liking 10. To the point that there might be development team I hate more than my own right now- and I want to throw my clowns into a wood chipper.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #54 on: August 11, 2015, 09:19:28 AM
This weekend I had a go at making a boot disc for Linux. My laptop only has 1Gb of Ram, so I figured what the heck, let's try a simpler OS. I don't have a conventional broadband set up either, and just use my mobile as a hotspot, so the idea of MS hijacking bandwidth, forcing stuff in, and taking stuff out was less than appealing too. I got a few pointers from a friend, got the ISO downloaded, checked the signature, burnt the disc, and got the laptop to boot from it. Then I got stuck!

For some reason although it booted from disc just fine, it wouldn't connect to the wifi hotspot. No matter what I tried, rebooting, tweaking setting, checking passwords had been entered correctly, everytime I just kept getting a pop up asking for the password, but with the password already typed in the box. Accpet that password, or type it in again, and press connect and after a while of trying to connect, it would happen again.

I intend collaring a neighbour later, and asking if I can do a test to see if my laptop with connect to his phone in the same way, just to see if it's a problem on the laptop, or digital paranoia on my phone's part. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions here I'd like to hear them, as I think linux might run better on such a basic laptop than a modern windows package (and I don't have the funds to upgrade).

Only other thing I can thin of doing is going back to square one, downloading and burning the ISO from scratch. From what I've seen of Linux it seems perfect for my humble needs, if only I could overcome this connectivity issue

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: August 11, 2015, 09:22:30 AM
This weekend I had a go at making a boot disc for Linux. My laptop only has 1Gb of Ram, so I figured what the heck, let's try a simpler OS. I don't have a conventional broadband set up either, and just use my mobile as a hotspot, so the idea of MS hijacking bandwidth, forcing stuff in, and taking stuff out was less than appealing too. I got a few pointers from a friend, got the ISO downloaded, checked the signature, burnt the disc, and got the laptop to boot from it. Then I got stuck!

For some reason although it booted from disc just fine, it wouldn't connect to the wifi hotspot. No matter what I tried, rebooting, tweaking setting, checking passwords had been entered correctly, everytime I just kept getting a pop up asking for the password, but with the password already typed in the box. Accpet that password, or type it in again, and press connect and after a while of trying to connect, it would happen again.

I intend collaring a neighbour later, and asking if I can do a test to see if my laptop with connect to his phone in the same way, just to see if it's a problem on the laptop, or digital paranoia on my phone's part. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions here I'd like to hear them, as I think linux might run better on such a basic laptop than a modern windows package (and I don't have the funds to upgrade).

Only other thing I can thin of doing is going back to square one, downloading and burning the ISO from scratch. From what I've seen of Linux it seems perfect for my humble needs, if only I could overcome this connectivity issue
Shoot a PM to Detron, he might not frequent this thread often but he is a Linux Wiz AND his signature reads: "If I can help, let me know", so he asked for it :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: August 11, 2015, 09:27:46 AM
Already have! He's the friend that gave the pointers in the first place :D He's having a look and a think, but recommended I fire the question out here anyway  :salute:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: August 11, 2015, 09:50:38 AM
Already have! He's the friend that gave the pointers in the first place :D He's having a look and a think, but recommended I fire the question out here anyway  :salute:

What type of phone are you using, android, windows etc? Have you tried it with a usb cable? Did you confirm the distro supports your wifi card?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: August 11, 2015, 10:16:53 AM

What type of phone are you using, android, windows etc? Have you tried it with a usb cable? Did you confirm the distro supports your wifi card?

Blackberry, which mean's I can't tether via USB until I've installed blackberry software. Shouldn't be an issue on wifi though, I just set the phone to accept connections and check passwords are correct. Don't know how to check if distro supports the wifi card.... I assume I'd need to boot it up in windows to get that info first?

Oh, and the settings are showing that the signal strength is excellent, which may imply that it is supported..... maybe
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:27:01 AM by 50ft-trad »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: August 11, 2015, 10:47:01 AM

Blackberry, which mean's I can't tether via USB until I've installed blackberry software. Shouldn't be an issue on wifi though, I just set the phone to accept connections and check passwords are correct. Don't know how to check if distro supports the wifi card.... I assume I'd need to boot it up in windows to get that info first?

Oh, and the settings are showing that the signal strength is excellent, which may imply that it is supported..... maybe

You'll probably need an app (there is one called Barry) for the lappy to work with older (years old) blackberry models.

I would also change to a new password, reboot the phone and double check everything (internet tethering, mobile hotspots etc) is turned on properly.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%