Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Requesting a break-down of the Gerber plier MT line-up

Smaug · 40 · 7610

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
I just looked on Gerbergear.com in their MT section. 6 pages of MTs.

Lots of them look similar to my untrained eye.

Diesel: Sliding style, w/combo blade, 8.6 oz., 4.9" long closed

MP600: Sliding style, separate plain & serrated blades, no scissors, US-made, carbide cutters, w/blunt or needlenosed pliers. 4.9" closed, 9 oz.

MP600 Pro-Scout: Bigger version of MP600.

Flik: Sliding style, outside-accessible tools, no file, 4.4" closed, 8.8 oz.

MP1:Butterfly style, outside-accessible tools, prybar, 1/4" magnetic bit driver, utility blade, G10 scales, carbon steel spring-loaded pliers, US-made. 4.4" closed, 8 oz.

Legend 800: Butterfly-style, outside accessible tools, spring-loaded pliers, carbide cutter. Is this basically a lower spec'd version of the MP1? 4.3" closed, 9.8 oz.

Suspension, Evo: Cheapos?

Balance: Cheap? (has poor reviews on Gerber's site...)

Help me fill in the blanks and let me know about your experiences with these.

Maybe we can make this into a sticky reference thread for others who want to try a Gerber seriously, but who don't want to get burned on their cheap stuff.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: Requesting a break-down of the Gerber plier MT line-up
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 04:29:27 AM
Great, I see this just as I'm getting ready for bed.  :facepalm:  Tomorrow afternoon after work I'll do what I can to fill in the blanks for you.  For the record, tomorrow's work tool will be an MP600 Pro Scout.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 05:48:36 AM
I had just about talked myself into an MP600 blunt nose, but reading through the Amazon reviews, it seems the carbide cutters are not such a great idea. Lots of folks talk about them shattering.

Now I know why Leatherman went with 154CM instead. Hard, but not TOO hard.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 07:03:42 AM
To fully understand Gerber, you have to remember that Fiskars bought them out before they started producing multi-tools. Fiskars bought Gerber in 87. I think their first multi-tool product came out around 91. That product is the famous Multi-Plier, which of course is the precursor to the Multi-Plier 600 that is a current model, albeit a very long running line. The first ones have various iterations and most folks call them MR. Pinchy, although I am not overly fond of calling them that. There was also an odd ball from the early 90's called the MPT, which may be Gerber's first butterfly opening multi-tool. The first generations of Multi-Pliers do not have locking toolsets, and quite often have bad handle geometry causing love bites, hence the Mr. Pinchy moniker.

Which leads to how I see Gerber. Mostly I divide Gerber into Three camps....sliding pliers designs, butterfly opening designs, and the oddballs that don't fit in either of the two previous categories. Inside each group, you can see some distinct internal families.

Bear with me as I go through this. Note that I am using older photos, and sadly, these are not my only ones these days...but I think you can get a good appreciation of a good portion of the Gerber line using these older photos...

Gerber Sliding Pliers Family

First Production Multi-Plier
Has First Production Run laser etched on handle.

Fiskers labeled Multi-Plier
Seeing that Fisker owns Gerber, they did stamp their name on some early production run Multi-Pliers.

Multi-Plier
Several iterations of this tool did Gerber make prior to making the MP600 series.

Multi-Plier 600
Once Gerber designed the second big version of the Multi-Plier (originally called the Multi-Lock) by adding a locking tool set, the proverbial ball was hit out of the park. There are so many different variations of the MP600 series, that I am certain I do not know them all. There is an upscale version, called the MP600 Pro Scout. The Pro Scout has a removable saw which the lower MP600 versions tend to not have on average. Here is a camo version.

Another and possibly older variant was called a Gerber Multi-Lock Woodsman.

For a time, Gerber offered the MP600 in different colours and possibly different tool sets.

Then there was the Operation Iraqi Freedom version for the first Gulf War.

Then there was the special Gerber Fishing model.

The MP600 Sight tool.

Following that there are so many different variations of the MP600, there are some tools that are black oxide, stainless, different plier heads, etc...

Another special variant of the MP600 is the MP 600 DET.

And the fake that is out there online...

And then there is the MP600 Cable Cutter.

MP400
The MP400 came out shortly after the MP600 did. The MP400 is a smaller tool based upon the successful combination seen in the MP600. Not surprisingly, there are also different model variations seen in this family.

Advertising version

Regular version.

Corkscrew version.

Terminator version.

Fishing version.

There is also an MP450 version that replaces the scissors for a file.

Gerber Recoil
Gerber got the bright idea to spring load the pliers on this one.

Carolina knife and other variants
During this time, Gerber had a lower level name brand, which tended to have some of Gerber's older Multi-Plier designs being sold as a lower cost item next to their MP600 tools. Not sure if the Winchester came from Carolina tools or not.

Gerber Flick and Freehand
Building upon the MP600, the Flick and Freehand are lumped together because they have the same distinctive plier pivot design. The Flick has a somewhat complicated closing mechanism. Like the MP600, there is also a special fisherman version. The Freehand is the big brother to the Flick.

Flick fisherman version.

Regular Flick.

Freehand.

Diesel
I view the diesel as a more modern MP600, and a bit related to the Flick and Freehand if you want to categorize Gerber tools by their plier pivot joint.

My Friday night last shift version with two Phillips...a factory error.

Gerber Grappler
Still in the Gerber sliding pliers design family, but with a twist, this locking plier version is different and has some similarity with the Freehand.

Gerber Octane
A more modern sliding plier designed multi-tool.

Gerber Balance
A newer designed multi-tool that almost has the general shape of a bar of Ivory soap.

Gerber Butterfly Opening Family

MPT
I think Gerbers first butterfly opening design aimed at the military to compete against the Leatherman PST.

Gerber 800 Legend
Larger sibling to the 700 Legend, this was Gerber's second butterfly opening tool (I think) and is a winner in my books.

Gerber 700 Urban Legend
The 700 is a smaller tool than the 800.

Terminator 3 version.

Regular version.

Gerber Strata
Another butterfly opening multi-tool. There is a Bear Grylls version that offers better gripping locking tabs.

Gerber has produced a bevy of smaller pocket tools. They tend to come in pairs in the past (pliers and scissors), but that appears to have ended with the Gerber Dime. Many of these are butterfly opening.

Gerber Clutch and Shortcut + Bear Grylls model

Gerber Vice and Splice

Gerber Crucial Family
There are 4 models that I know that exist in this family. The Crucial F.A.S.T is a spring assisted version. Most other model variations are due to a different tool load-out.

Gerber Radius
Overly large overly plasticky and rubbery butterfly opening tool.

Gerber Solstice and Eclipse
Older pocket tools.

Gerber Suspension Family
These models represented for a long time, Gerber's value priced line. Many of the models were sold at different stores. In fact, many of these were designed to certain store chain specs. Either way, the Suspension is the forefather of the lineup and is the tool that all the others were based upon.

Suspension

Tread (The only one that is somewhat different form the others.

Method

Crux (There was a blue painted version as an exclusive to an American store chain.)

Resolve

Evo

Ripstop

Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Multi-tool.

Gerber Steady
A neat butterfly opening multi-tool that has a built in tripod feature.

Gerber MP1
A higher priced premium multi-tool. There is also an AR specific version.

Gerber Bullrush
Very similar to the Crucial, but appears to be part of the MP1 in handle material.

Gerber Dime and Dime Travel
Newer small pocket sized models.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 03:08:56 PM by zoidberg »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 07:03:54 AM
Gerber Oddball Designs

Gerber Multi-Lite
An old design..a bit of an oddball design. There are a couple of tool variations out there.

Gerber MP650 Evolution
Gerber got the idea to produce an MP600 oddball that eliminated the sliding pliers for one you can easily detach and attach another plier head. This builds upon the 600 but ultimately failed in the market.

Paul Chen Multi Tasker
I am uncertain of the history behind this, but I think it is based on an older Gerber design.

Gerber Curve
Very small multi-tool along the lines of the Multi-Lite minus the door.

Gerber Fit
Combine a flashlight with a multi-tool, and you may end up with this oddball.

Gerber Shard
Gerber's first foray into a single piece multi-tool.

Gerber Artifact
A shard with a swing out hobby knife.

Gerber Nautilus
Think a larger Curve but with a built in flashlight.

Gerber eFFECT
Military AR cleaning kit.

Gerber Cool Tool
A bicycle repair tool.

Gerber Cable Dawg
Military tool for the field IT folks.

Gerber Groundbreaker
Much like the Cable Dawg, this specialized tool is aimed squarely at the electrician crowd.

Gerber Myth Archery Tool

Gerber Myth shotgun Tool

I hope this long list helps somewhat.  :salute:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 02:19:59 PM by zoidberg »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 08:09:39 AM
 :o

Thanks for that wonderful pictorial :salute:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 08:10:14 AM
 :sa:    :2tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 08:24:22 AM
Wow Chako, this one of the best product presentation line-up posts I've ever seen.

+1 for Sticky on Gerber forum.

:tu:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 08:51:40 AM
I think I´ll need to bookmark this. Thanlks!

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 11:30:53 AM
Gerber has had some really good ideas over the years. (swappable plier heads!)

Too bad they give up on them if they're not immediately successful, instead of refining them. (or better yet, testing and refining them fully before releasing them...)

If not for continuous and steady refinement, Victorinox wouldn't be the colossal force it is today.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 11:31:52 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post those, Chako.

What is your favorite current production Gerber for carry?
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 01:11:41 PM
No problems...however I did catch one mistake. I typed Legend 500 instead of 700 under the Legend 800 entry. That will teach me about doing late night submissions before going to bed.  :D

As for my favorite EDC with Gerber, I will have to say the MP600 line. Mind you, I usually carry a Leatherman. My least favorite is the Recoil for EDC.  :rofl:

EDIT: The one thing I really like about Gerber is that they aren't afraid to try different ideas, and to mix things up. Pay attention to the blade geometry throughout the photos. Note that Gerber doesn't have one standard blade design. Extend that to the other folding out tools and you can see a wide design spectrum at play here. Figure in that Fiskars is renown for their scissors, it isn't a big leap to know that most scissors on a Gerber tend to be just fantastic.

Addendum. Looks like an MP650 photo snuck into the MP600 variation section as well.  :oops:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 01:49:48 PM by Chako »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 02:09:21 PM
My personal favourites are:
Mp400 series
Diesel
MP700
Balance
Dime

Strata has one of the best can openers on any MT, and the BG Strata package doesn't deserve the flak it receives. It is a very usable tool even if it does flex a bit. The Octane carries very well, but is only light duty and has a limited tool set. This has one of the best bottle openers on any MT. Not a fan of the Flik, Freehand, Grappler or Recoil. The Solstice is downright dangerous. Never done much with the MP600 range, though there is no reason to distrust it, I have just found I don't need one. MPT was horrible.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 02:11:25 PM
My favorites are the 600's, 400's, Balance, Strata, and Octane.  I broke a Suspension in a store once, and didn't want to have anything to do with Gerber for a while.  Fortunately, I got myself an MP450 in a trade here, and that changed my whole outlook on them.   :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 02:22:57 PM
No problems...however I did catch one mistake. I typed Legend 500 instead of 700 under the Legend 800 entry. That will teach me about doing late night submissions before going to bed.  :D

As for my favorite EDC with Gerber, I will have to say the MP600 line. Mind you, I usually carry a Leatherman. My least favorite is the Recoil for EDC.  :rofl:

EDIT: The one thing I really like about Gerber is that they aren't afraid to try different ideas, and to mix things up. Pay attention to the blade geometry throughout the photos. Note that Gerber doesn't have one standard blade design. Extend that to the other folding out tools and you can see a wide design spectrum at play here. Figure in that Fiskars is renown for their scissors, it isn't a big leap to know that most scissors on a Gerber tend to be just fantastic.

Addendum. Looks like an MP650 photo snuck into the MP600 variation section as well.  :oops:

Edited for you. That is one epic post.  :cheers:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 02:35:49 PM
Much obliged.  :salute:

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 02:45:25 PM
I heard that Diesel isn't the sturdiest tool of the lot. Any truth to that?

Oh and does the MP600 Pro Scout version accept jigsaw blades like the LM Surge does?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 03:12:09 PM

Oh and does the MP600 Pro Scout version accept jigsaw blades like the LM Surge does?

Gerber takes U-Shank jigsaw blades.

Leatherman takes T-Shank jigsaw blades.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 03:44:45 PM

Surprisingly, the Diesel is a model I haven't handled yet.  I really haven't heard any complaints about them though. 

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 04:32:48 PM

Surprisingly, the Diesel is a model I haven't handled yet.  I really haven't heard any complaints about them though.
No complaints here so far  :tu:

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 06:36:47 PM
Chako, great stuff!!  Thank you for the effort in putting those posts together!   :2tu:

Your two posts with pix and details ought to be considered for Sticky status.

My sailbag has contained the original MP (aka, Mr. Pinchy) for the last 6-7 years (it replaced a lost MP-450)
All my emergency bags have a Strata in them and I have one for regular use
The Shortcut is a regular in my EDC rotation and I have multiple backups of this one

And believe it or not, I have an MP-600 still new in the box...after four years, I haven't needed it or found a use for it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 02:26:43 AM
That was great , so informative
Thanks for taking the time Chako

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 04:17:27 PM
Excellent write-up/pictorial Dan, thank you :salute:  :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 12:53:05 AM
So it seems like the favorites are Strata, MP600, MP400, and Diesel.

I feel like if I get a Gerber, it should be a slide model.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 03:00:57 AM

Strata is a butterfly model  :pok: :D

.... but that said, a MP400 or MP600 would be a good gateway into exploring Gerber  :cheers:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: August 03, 2015, 04:27:33 AM
 :imws:

Strata is a butterfly model  :pok: :D

.... but that said, a MP400 or MP600 would be a good gateway into exploring Gerber  :cheers:

+1 My suggestion is try a 600. you can pick up an MP600 Basic (no scissors) at Home Depot for less than $40.  If it's on the big side for you, a) get a 400, and b) I'll take the 6 off your hands.  :D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 04:30:47 AM by jerseydevil »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: August 03, 2015, 10:42:20 AM
Being a great fan of the Spirits PERFECTION :D, it surprised me a lot how much I like the MP600 when I finally got one.
Whenever I held one in my hands at the shop I quickly did put it back, shocked at how much it wiggles and rattles. But now that I own one and have played with it, I have to say: I like it a lot :tu:

Things to like about the MP600
- Flicking (its almost therapy)
- Various pliers-head designs available
- So easy to mod and get the tool-load you like.

That said, despite the rattling, it is a solid tool that can do hard work!
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #27 on: August 03, 2015, 02:09:02 PM
I think I'm going to have to get a Spirit X (maybe for my birthday in October) and either an MP600 or Diesel and a Sog Powerlock.

I never seem to be satisfied about these things until I find out through firsthand experience.

::)

I just read all the Amazon reviews of the Diesel, and I'm surprised how often I read of failures. Pivot pins breaking, rust, and one electrician even said the Phillips driver strips before the screw heads do. (he replaced his with a Leatherman Supertool 300)

The guys that stick with Gerber seem to do so because they replace them with no questions asked when they break. The guys that leave them do so because they'd rather not have failures in the first place.

Is the MP600 considered a higher grade tool than the Diesel, or just a different tool load? (I like the tool load of the Diesel better, because it has scissors)

What's involved in changing the tools? I'd probably drop the saw or get a combo blade in favor of a scissors.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:11:14 PM by Smaug »
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: August 03, 2015, 03:18:30 PM
The Diesel came out after the MP600. I personally do not think it is a higher or lower ranked product, just a different one.

I myself am not a big fan of the Strata, but that is just personal opinion. I dislike the locking mechanism's lack of purchase. The BG version fixed that issue outright.

I think one has to be pragmatic about things. If a tool fails (they all will), usually it is the vocal minority that comes online to write negative reviews of the tool. I have seen the Gerber Suspension maligned by many, including myself. But at the end of the day, there are a lot of Suspension family users quite happy with their product. I have to say the Suspension family, although rather generic, isn't that bad of a multi-tool. On the other hand, stay well away from the Gerber Radius. No MT should flex like a wet noddle. I believe the Radius is Gerber's worst design ever...but that is more personal opinion. I am sure there are folks out there who are willing to go to bat for their Radius.

On a side note Smaug...do you think that is why my standard Diesel came to me with 2 Phillips drivers.  :rofl:

As for the rust issue, that depends. Plenty of Gerbers have bead blasted finishes. These tend to rust in very humid environments. I have yet to see mine rust at all, and I am nestled between Lake Superior and Lake Huron. However, by the salt filled waters of any ocean, and I can imagine many a MT will show rust if not properly taken care of or maintained. Leathermans have a history of rusting as well. I don't think Gerber is any better or worst in that regard.

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #29 on: August 03, 2015, 03:20:59 PM
@chako that is nothing short of unbelievable. Are all those yours?

Like the OP I was and remain somewhat confused by the Lineup. I guess it is normal marketing B.S. these days to offer a thousand micro variants of the same item at slightly different price points with different names to catch people looking for this or that in different sectors compared to the competition. One thing important to me is to buy American-made stuff when possible. The downloadable catalogs on the Gerber site help because they show you what is made back home and what isn't. As somebody with no special knowledge of the tools I would say what helped me refine what I was looking for was to drill down in different categories to a specific tool family and then to pick what tools I had to have and what finish. Then the guys explained Gerbers are easily modded to replace tools you want/don't want etc. Then I saw the MP1 has forged jaws so now for me it is down to that or a Leatherman OHT when I get the money.
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD