Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Dime Travel

Chako · 22 · 3183

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Gerber Dime Travel
on: August 01, 2015, 01:10:04 AM
Yes I finally got one.

:salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Gerber Dime Travel
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 01:17:34 AM
That's very cool.  I have never seen these before.  I want one.

I was going to make a joke about the zipper hook, but thought better of it. 

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 01:26:13 AM
Bought one in May. Sold it in June. Really didn't like anything about it (apart from the look). The snap was scary strong, fit & finish was iffy and the hook is beyond useless.
I might try again a regular Dime, but the Travel was sheer hatred at first sight for me.

Gratz on the find though Chako... pretty little addon to the collection.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 01:35:39 AM
I think I want a Dime. They sell them at my Target so come pay day I'm going to pick one up.

Thanks for the inspiration Dan :tu:
SAW

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 11:40:29 AM
Bought one in May. Sold it in June. Really didn't like anything about it (apart from the look).
How about the pliers, scissor, and screwdrivers; aka the main reasons for having it?

the hook is beyond useless.
How so? (Mr. Hook User Merit Badge Recipient ;)  )

I might try again a regular Dime,
Save yourself the trouble, as I'm sure the fit & finish will be identical to the Dime Travel.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 11:41:40 AM
I think I want a Dime. They sell them at my Target so come pay day I'm going to pick one up.

+1

It's only a matter of time before I cave in and sneak one in the basket when I'm there for something responsible.  :D
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 12:52:27 PM
Bought one in May. Sold it in June. Really didn't like anything about it (apart from the look).
How about the pliers, scissor, and screwdrivers; aka the main reasons for having it?

the hook is beyond useless.
How so? (Mr. Hook User Merit Badge Recipient ;)  )

I might try again a regular Dime,
Save yourself the trouble, as I'm sure the fit & finish will be identical to the Dime Travel.

Meh, the pliers are fine, the rest my Vics can do better.

So? The Vic hook is just as useless, only for a sak it doesn't take the main place and replace a major tool.

Well it is pretty... only thing I liked about it... so might look nice in the showcase (for 5 USD in the TSA bin it's worth it).
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline sawman

Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 06:54:30 PM

+1

It's only a matter of time before I cave in and sneak one in the basket when I'm there for something responsible.  :D
:tu: :cheers:
SAW

sg Offline Dr Hunt

Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 09:22:39 AM
Is the file/driver (knife replacement) any good? The Dime regular has been my edc for years and I have gave a few to friends. The pliers, package opener, knife and bottle openers are good enough for me.
Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need- Miyamoto Musashi ce.1645

us Offline sawman

Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 04:59:23 PM
I just got my Dime from Target and I love it. It does have a couple shortcomings such as the file and scissors but it's a great little tool. It will be added to my EDC :tu: :tu:
SAW

us Offline sawman

Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 05:47:32 PM
A few thoughts:

The Dime pairs quite nicely with my Style CS. A little redundancy there but a great combo!

I don't have any bottles on hand but the bottle opener looks like it pop caps with ease.

One of my favorite features is the package opener.

I like the knife better than the CS or Rambler's.

CS_Dime.JPG
* CS_Dime.JPG (Filesize: 338.34 KB)
SAW

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 07:05:47 PM
I got a Dime Travel yesterday, which I was planning to gift to my four year-old niece when I travel out to California next month.

Problem is the poor fit & finish on the tool pivots make it pretty hard to open. It probably will not be doable for a 4 year-old. I should've known that any MT costing less than $15 is not worth taking home.

This could be a nice little tool if they increased the price by $1 and raise the quality control a notch.

I'm sure it'll get a little better with break-in. I'm going to try loosening up the pivot screws, (they seem to be metric hex) and see if that helps at all.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline sawman

Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 09:38:47 PM
That is disapointing. Perhaps their QC has declined with the new ones as I don't have and issues with my Dime.
SAW

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 06:56:53 PM
That is disapointing. Perhaps their QC has declined with the new ones as I don't have and issues with my Dime.

I got a red Dime not long after they came out and it is a nail breaker. My Mother got a red one a year or so later, and it too is a nail breaker. However, the green Dime I got my Wife as soon as they released, everything opens fine.

I think the Dime would be a great tool if they could work the kinks out. Maybe offer a full length flat Philips/file, similar to the one on the Style CS, to replace those pitiful drivers already featured on the Dime. But then I guess they couldn't call it a Dime as it would only have 9 features. I'm sure they could come up with something to get it back to 10, like a wire stripping notch.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 06:52:14 AM

I got a red Dime not long after they came out and it is a nail breaker. My Mother got a red one a year or so later, and it too is a nail breaker. However, the green Dime I got my Wife as soon as they released, everything opens fine.

I think the Dime would be a great tool if they could work the kinks out. Maybe offer a full length flat Philips/file, similar to the one on the Style CS, to replace those pitiful drivers already featured on the Dime. But then I guess they couldn't call it a Dime as it would only have 9 features. I'm sure they could come up with something to get it back to 10, like a wire stripping notch.

They probably did the initial production under close supervision, then moved it to Good Ol' China, with little to no supervision.

I put a few hundred cycles on the tools, then oiled and cleaned it, and now it's better. Still too much for a 4 year old, but usable for me. I'm going to keep this as a travel MT.

Meanwhile, I found a couple of Wenger AT SAKs, and one has got her name on it.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 05:23:08 PM
But then I guess they couldn't call it a Dime as it would only have 9 features.

I never realized the Dime/10 function thing before.   :o

00 Offline haja.maideen.988

Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 08:09:03 AM
The Gerber Dime look great, but the scissor just broke. I never even use. Just look at it and admire. lucky the shop accept it to send for repair. Now I have a repaired Dime.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 12:42:16 AM
I'm starting to feel like any new Gerber costing less than $20 (in the US) is not worth taking home.

Just read some reviews on the Flik, and that is "buyer beware" also. C'mon Gerber, do a little legwork, don't just throw these crap products on the market and pray for buyers who are not discerning.

When I first started buying Gerber (pre-Fiskars) there was never a worry about quality or design. It was a given that they were top notch. Now? Not so much. Thank goodness for user reviews.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 12:43:20 AM by Smaug »
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 01:49:17 PM
I order the Leatherman Squirt PS4 . see how it fair.
Now I am not using the Gerber pro scout and Gerber 400.
I prefer lighter now. so the Dime will do for most of my
fishing.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 08:18:40 PM
I order the Leatherman Squirt PS4 . see how it fair.
Now I am not using the Gerber pro scout and Gerber 400.
I prefer lighter now. so the Dime will do for most of my
fishing.

We'll see if the quality holds up. I've heard other fishermen prefer the one-handed opening ones, in case you've got a wriggly fish with a hook in his throat in one hand, you can deploy the pliers with the other.

The Dime would be a double let-down here: pliers too short and cannot be opened one-handed.

Maybe you don't encounter that scenario though.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 05:12:00 PM
for light fishing I use the gerber Dime, for serious fishing I used the Gerber 400 or 600 pro scout.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 05:32:08 PM
My black dime has been on my keychain since christmas,it was gritty from new plus some of its tools was nail breakers,after a few months i went to open the blade but the ali scales had bent over at the ends,i had to bend them back up too open the blade,was the same on all the ends  :-\ its still on my keychain but eventually ill get another lm p4 and replace it  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%