Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need Advice on the MiniChamp

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Need Advice on the MiniChamp
on: August 01, 2015, 04:04:13 AM
Years ago, I remember seeing the MiniChamp at a knife shop, and was awed by the number of tools in that tiny little package.   The price was a little much, though.

I've renewed my interest in the tool, as it packs many necessities in a tiny package, including a pen.

I have found several in the $15 range used on Ebay, which is very reasonable to me.

The pen, scissors, nail file, and combo tool are musts.   There are plenty of situations where the blunt tipped Wharncliffe/Emergency blade would be handy.  Cut/Picker blade I've heard is good for opening packaging.

Problem is, there's a few tools I don't think I'll need.  I don't need a cuticle pusher, and its alternative uses as a stirring stick or spatula I don't need.  Multitool rulers are awful, and often hard to use or get accurate readings from. I'll still use the screwdriver it's combined with.  Are there any other alternative uses for the cuticle pusher?

Should I go ahead and get the MiniChamp, or should I get the models under it, such as the Manager?

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: Need Advice on the MiniChamp
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 04:10:49 AM
The thing I have learned,  it you usually find uses for those "uneeded" tools.  also, if you get a minichamp that has the pen,  then open the cutical pusher and ruler and your pen is now longer and more usable.
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 04:16:16 AM
The thing I have learned,  it you usually find uses for those "uneeded" tools.  also, if you get a minichamp that has the pen,  then open the cutical pusher and ruler and your pen is now longer and more usable.

I should know, I have Detron's Minichamp in my rotation.  :D  The cuticle pusher actually makes for a decent wider flat screwdriver, as well as a GPPT (General Purpose Pokey Thing).  :tu:  I like the Minichamp, maybe tomorrow my regular Rambler will get a day off......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

au Offline ljnoble

• The Land DownUnder
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 04:17:25 AM
Hahahaha GPPT that is amazing

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

From The Land DownUnder

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 04:27:14 AM

I should know, I have Detron's Minichamp in my rotation.  :D  The cuticle pusher actually makes for a decent wider flat screwdriver, as well as a GPPT (General Purpose Pokey Thing).  :tu:  I like the Minichamp, maybe tomorrow my regular Rambler will get a day off......

Glad it is doing well,  I have my Minichamp on my keys ALWAYS.  I love it.
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 05:06:49 AM
I've my minichamp on me right now.  I used it today to uncap a bottle of brew after working on my father in law's dehumidifier.  The tiny philips head wasn't quite up to the task of disassembling pieces of it, but I look at it as a Classic with a few more options.  I think for 99% of what I deal with daily, it sure is a handy knife.  My father in law pulled out his Classic while we were working, and I remarked that it's funny that the older you get the smaller the blades a person tends to need.
Barry

au Offline ljnoble

• The Land DownUnder
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 05:13:54 AM
i have a alox mini champ n my keys goes every where with me. i am a sparkie and the tool i use the most other than the scissors is the orange peeler. not for peeling oranges but i have found it works amazingly well for stripping the outer sheath of bigger power cables 
From The Land DownUnder

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 06:09:17 AM
i have a alox mini champ n my keys goes every where with me. i am a sparkie and the tool i use the most other than the scissors is the orange peeler. not for peeling oranges but i have found it works amazingly well for stripping the outer sheath of bigger power cables
That's actually the "cut and picker" blade, designed for opening and removing the cotton from pill bottles. Which is just about the only thing I've never used it for now that I think about it.
More to the point; the MiniChamp rules, get one immediately!

au Offline ljnoble

• The Land DownUnder
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 06:11:06 AM
That's actually the "cut and picker" blade, designed for opening and removing the cotton from pill bottles. Which is just about the only thing I've never used it for now that I think about it.
Ah okay thanks for the correction I swear It said on sak wiki it was a orange peeler

From The Land DownUnder

au Offline ljnoble

• The Land DownUnder
Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 06:13:14 AM
Ah okay thanks for the correction I swear It said on sak wiki it was a orange peeler

No it is a orange peeler I just checked
No 9
No10

From The Land DownUnder

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 07:34:15 AM
I keep coming back to the Minichamp.  I have a manager as well but the MC is just so awesome.  I like having options and the MC certainly fits the bill.  Get one at a good price and give it a whirl. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 10:44:55 AM
I guess I'll be the only guy to vote against it, but here goes.

I've had a minichamp, an ebay one. Mine had a bad scissors; some bonehead had tried to sharpen it like a knife and ruined it. I don't think I'd go that way unless you think you can ask the seller and trust his answer.

To me, the Minichamp is thick enough that it loses a good bit of the pocket comfort that the 58mm models are famous for. That, and the only useful extra tool it has is the orange peeler. It also has many tools that look similar to each other, so it takes longer to find what you need too.

The Manager, Midnight Manager, or Rambler are better buys, IMO. They add the great combo tool, and both the blade and scissors open away from the keyring. It's just a matter of which scale tools you need.

A couple other observations:

• An alox Minichamp and a Midnight Manager are about the same thickness. You choose between thick scale tools (pen and LED light) and regular tools
  • Alox Minichamp will be discontinued as of next year and will therefore become collectible. Consider buying a new one now, while they're still in stock. Strictly as an investment, of course.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 10:50:23 AM

No it is a orange peeler I just checked
No 9
No10

(Image removed from quote.)

It was originally just cut n picker blade, but later also used as an orange peeler, the actual orange peeler is a little different as seen here:

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Orange+Peeler
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline Joe58

Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 03:51:09 PM
You'll be surprised at how often the pusher comes in handy. It works well as a small prying tool like on staples for instance.  You just end up using it for different things that pop up. I'd rather have the added layer and only use the extra tools infrequently, rather than not. I also use it to push a bit of paper towel or whatever down the blade channels on larger knives to clean out lint or what have you that gets in there. The peeler also will work well slicing open those and heat sealed plastic packaging that everything seems to come in now days.

There are many rambler fans here as they have a nice tool compliment as well, but for myself, I find the little bit of added width of the minichamp to be unnoticed in my pocket. And weight on these little 58mm is nothing.

The minichamp is a great compliment to whatever larger knife you're carrying, and it'll do well just by itself too.
🇨🇭

de Offline windson

• Observe - Evaluate - Control
Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 12:14:30 AM
Here is a comparison shot of an Alox Minichamp and a Cellidor Rambler. They are pretty much the same thickness.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%