Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Peoples thoughs on led lenser

au Offline ljnoble

• The Land DownUnder
Peoples thoughs on led lenser
on: August 01, 2015, 04:45:43 AM
Hey all, I carry a led lenser everyday in my pocket dump, and I know people here are a big fan of brands like fenix and olight. I live in aus and they are quite hard to get here but I am very happy with led lenser so far

What experience do others have with them?

These two go with me every time I leave the house

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

From The Land DownUnder

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Peoples thoughs on led lenser
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 05:47:57 AM
I have very limited experience with LEDLenser. My basic thoughts on the lights is way to much money for the light output you are getting compared to there competitors.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 12:18:07 PM
I've had two of their lights and weren't impressed. The lens feature is nothing more than a gadget which adds cost and impares light quality. You can get better lights for less money IMHO

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 12:44:15 PM
I owned a few when they first came out...wasn't impressed. However, the one I hung onto, and still use, was a three AAA tactical light with a push button tail switch. This light (which I can't find catalogued anymore) is pretty bright and easy to carry. It lasts a long time too on those small batteries!
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 12:54:49 PM
Lol. I'm once again going against the tide.

I really love my Led Lenser K2L2 and never leave home without it.
Now I also have a gorgeous F1 on its way.

Great fit and finish, decently bright, great materials, great design... what I do hate are the silly choices for batteries on many of their models...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

au Offline bounding star

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 02:10:17 PM
Overall not bad lights. They are pretty well made, and quite rugged, but they tend to have lower output compared to similar lights. They are a bit expensive for what you get, but if you have one or can get one on the cheap side, they can be a good light to have if they are bright enough for your needs.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 07:57:18 PM
I'm not a fan. Not enough output or features for the money. Build quality is excellent on the ones I've owned, but I prefer other more affordable brands that have higher output and multi-mode capabilities.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 01:15:44 AM
The first thing I don't like about Led Lenser is the use of batteries they make. They neglect the emitter's ability to be very cost-effective. :twak: Also, what's the story with no NiMh/rechargeable cells?  :twak:

Then, there's that purplish tint on all the ones I've seen, which, to be fair, aren't that many. I think 4 or 5 in total. That tint isn't a deal breaker for me, in fact I can even see some advantages to it ( :shrug: maybe I'm weird? ) but that's not a high-end product, especially considering the spotty implementation of the relatively simple, advanced optics they're selling.

Finally, the pricing for all this is just ludicrous. Perhaps at Leatherman they think they can challenge Maglite market share in the US and elsewhere? Let's not forget quality flashlights aren't all that known to the public, Maglite has reckognisability and Led Lenser has quite a strong marketing policy as far as I can tell.

I have both a AA Led Lenser, a P5.2, as well as a 2 AAA LED Maglite (84 lumen version). The Led Lenser is brighter and easily throws further than the Maglite. The Maglite flickers shamelessly at will since I first got it. It may be due to batteries rattling, though, so maybe not Maglite's fault. Both have a good construction. I think the LL will get marred and banged up easier than the Maglite. The switch on the LL is nice and soft but not overly. I'm not sure how hard-wearing that switch is. Maglite's switch is a time-proven design.

I must add I feel more comfortable using the Maglite when there's water involved. The P5.2 has a notch cut amid the tail cap's screw threads that could very well have a O-ring around it but no go. 

Overall, I think I'd prefer the Maglite if I had to choose between the two of them. Maybe I'm just being sentimental because my 2 AA incandescent MiniMag is still going strong after almost twenty years.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 01:36:25 AM

Great fit and finish, decently bright, great materials, great design... what I do hate are the silly choices for batteries on many of their models...

You're not alone mate  ;).

Ever since I bought myself a Led Lenser P7 a couple of years ago, I've been quite pleased with it.  I even bought three (one for me and one for each of my boys) P3's, which are still going strong, after some serious use.  And last Christmas my wife gave me a M5 (the light, not the BMW ...  ::) and I like that one a lot too.  And over the last couple of years I also gave a P3 and a L7 to my father, and he likes them too.

And I also have a Led Lenser F1 on the way, courtesy of Leatherman/Led Lenser and MTO  :hatsoff:

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 01:36:57 AM
Never owned one. Handled a couple in a shop but didn't like the feel of the tail switch.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 01:48:46 AM
I'm quite happy with what have seen from them. I won an F1 here a while back, and it's the first high output pocket light my wife is happy with (after testing 4sevens, ZebraLight and perhaps more).

no Offline Grathr

Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 06:42:45 AM
Im very happy with my Led Lensers. I have a couple of P5's that sees a lot of use, a P7 and a headlamp. I really like the focusing lens wich I have found is very useful for looking on details in tunnels and pointing out objects to others.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

au Offline bounding star

Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 07:39:16 AM
BTW, nice pic ljnoble  :tu:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 12:08:06 PM
The few LED Lensers that I own or have owned have been pretty good quality, but (here in Australia at least) are certainly not value for money. I could get at least 4 Ultrafire or similar brand lites of greater output for the same money as one LL. I'm sure I would get longer life out of the 4 medium quality cheapies than the single LED Lenser.

us Offline David Quevedo

Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 01:52:51 AM
The only LED Lenser I ever owned was the P7, which ran on 3 AAA batteries.  I picked it up on eBay very inexpensively, and for a while, I loved it - especially the focusing feature (which blew away any of my Maglites.  It was very smooth, with no horrible artifacts/donut holes, etc.).  LED Lenser still hold the patent on that focusing feature.  Unfortunately, that seems to be their main strength.  There are many other light companies that offer better LEDs, more robust build, and superior water proofing than the LED Lenser lights.

You can purchase a light that is more robustly built, with better LEDs, a superior user interface, and better regulation, for far less money than you would spend on LED Lenser.

There are many lights that offer a nice combination of both, spot,and spill, so you don't have to focus the light in order to achieve it.  You get the best of both worlds, already built into the light, which would also be fully waterproof (The LED Lensers and the Maglites with the focusing feature, are only splash resistant).

Back, then, I was EDCing these lights:

The Sipik SK-68 (The least expensive light I've purchased in the past three years lol) rarely left the house.  The output was only semi impressie, using a 14500 battery, but it had no regulation.  I hate non-regulated lights, so I don't EDC them.  But, it was fun, as a cheap, novelty buy. 

The EA4 was usually carried in a toolbox (It weighs a ton, with four AA batteries, but is a real powerhouse).

The rest were carried on-person.  My EDC lights have changed radically, since then.  I ended up giving away that P7 (to a friend), and the Maglite XL-200 (to my uncle), since I got sick of using lights that required AAA batteries (they just couldn't keep up with lights that had more robust batteries -namely, the 18650 lithium ion battery - a real powerhouse, in a moderately compact form factor, compared to multiple AA, or D cell lights.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 01:56:35 AM by David Quevedo »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 11:30:35 AM

You're not alone mate  ;).

Ever since I bought myself a Led Lenser P7 a couple of years ago, I've been quite pleased with it.  I even bought three (one for me and one for each of my boys) P3's, which are still going strong, after some serious use.  And last Christmas my wife gave me a M5 (the light, not the BMW ...  ::) and I like that one a lot too.  And over the last couple of years I also gave a P3 and a L7 to my father, and he likes them too.

And I also have a Led Lenser F1 on the way, courtesy of Leatherman/Led Lenser and MTO  :hatsoff:

+1

I have been carrying a K1 as part of my EDC (came with the Style PS). Works perfectly around the office, helps me to see inside computers, switch racks, even in the street at night, looking for some keys. Not the best or more powerful I have but very happy how it handles itself.

:tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 04:04:08 AM
It's one of the few "brand name" flashlights here in Manila.  Yeah, you can always pick up a Nitecore online but in the malls, you're left with either Mags or Lenser.

I picked up a P4BM as "my first" LED Lenser.  It was the only penlight available in the store (I wanted one with a single AAA battery) but the specs did say that this one would last several hours on a couple of AAA's.  Got it for my birthday -- plus there's this thing at the side of my Swisstool pouch which is just screaming "flashlight holder"! (or slot for sharpie).

Normally people here would just pick up a China-made no brand which is usually packed-in with Energizer or Duracell batteries. 
IMG_1417.JPG
* IMG_1417.JPG (Filesize: 194 KB)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 04:06:08 AM by Zephon »

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 11:22:59 PM
I've had my led lenser for a few years now and I have no problems with it , I'm not sure what model it is but it cost me under £30 and on a camping trip it made my buddy wish he hadn't spent £200 on his fancy Fenix, as mine was as bright and four times smaller /lighter.
Now I'm no flashlight expert these are just my thoughts.
Weasel

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 11:31:21 PM
Here is my led lenser

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Weasel

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 12:52:49 AM
I guess I should update this a tad...
I have had the F1 for a month now and really really like it.
Build quality is amazing, it's very ergonomic and it shines quite bright.

Things I liked less are the floppy clip (it fell out of my pocket), the too long lanyard, the strange colours and designs of the tips - (the attack one is just agressive enough to get it confiscated, but pretty useless, the regular one.. is silver?)

Biggest issue I see though is price/quality.. it costs 10 times more than a Sipik but it's noway 10 times better than a Sipik.

So.. I have the K2L and the F1, both were gifts so I can't complain about price.. as themselves, they both look cool, are durable, great quality, ergonomical and resilient. On the minus side they are a tad too expensive and use wonky batteries...

PS: It says no rechargeable batteries... do you think it would break if I give it a try?  :whistle:
PPS: I had 15 flashlights, sold 5 of them, out of the remaining 10, the only 2 I edc are the Led Lensers... so I guess this says something...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 12:53:59 AM by Corwyn »
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 01:14:04 PM
I've had about 3 led lensers and all three have died on me.

I think they are over priced no matter if they happen to be a good light or not.

Just my two cents

us Offline anon

Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 10:53:13 PM
I had some early models that used nonstandard batteries and their latest 1xCR123 light that they had imput from German flashaholics on. They are hit or miss but feature interesting ideas. Of course any other premium brand is better.

us Offline David Quevedo

Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 11:55:43 PM

PS: It says no rechargeable batteries... do you think it would break if I give it a try?  :whistle:
PPS: I had 15 flashlights, sold 5 of them, out of the remaining 10, the only 2 I edc are the Led Lensers... so I guess this says something...

I used AAA Sanyo Eneloops in my P7 (while I still had it lol), and never had any issues with it.  I just wasn't getting the kind of output I wanted from a light that size, and I got sick of using AAA batteries (even if they were rechargeable); so off, it went - to other people who would better use them (also gave away a Maglite XL200, which was nice enough, but same deal - not the kind of performance I wanted out of a light in that or similar size.  Once I stepped things up to 18650 lights, everything changed, and there was no looking back. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%