Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your favorite current-production, full-sized plier-based multitool?

Smaug · 35 · 2789

Poll

What's your favorite current-production, full-sized plier-based multitool?

Victorinox Swisstool
7 (12.7%)
Victorinox Swisstool Spirit
9 (16.4%)
Leatherman Wave
7 (12.7%)
Leatherman Surge
6 (10.9%)
Leatherman Rebar
6 (10.9%)
Leatherman Charge TTi
5 (9.1%)
Leatherman Supertool 300
3 (5.5%)
Leatherman Wingman
2 (3.6%)
Leatherman Sidekick
1 (1.8%)
Gerber MT600
3 (5.5%)
Gerber MT400
0 (0%)
Gerber Diesel
0 (0%)
Gerber (other)
1 (1.8%)
SOG PowerLock
0 (0%)
SOG PowerAssist
0 (0%)
SOG Pocket PowerPlier
0 (0%)
Other
1 (1.8%)
I'm a weenie and refuse to pick just one *sniff*
4 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: August 10, 2015, 05:43:19 PM

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Just curious how this will turn out.

I set it up so that you can't see the results unless/until you've voted, hoping that will take "me-too" votes out. No take-backs either, so think and click carefully before voting. ;)

Please vote just based upon what you own or what you've used. (reasonable exceptions may apply, such as if you own a Wave because you didn't want to spend TTi money)

If you wouldn't mind, please qualify your vote with why it is your favorite.

If the one you like is a sub-model of a parent series, (ex. Gerber MT600 bluntnote black oxide or Victorinox Swisstool Spirit X w/ ratchet) just vote for the parent series and remark on what sub-model you like.

Mods, if you have a moment and I've neglected an obvious full-size tool that is getting a lot of votes via Other --> comment, feel free to revise my poll options to include it.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
That's weird, there were options other than the SPIRIT :think:

:rofl:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I thought we were gonna try to get along?  No more instigating posts and such  :D

We all know the answer is big brother and little bother but if hard pressed then

SURGE 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 06:07:01 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Not fair really.
It should be "Favourite multitool, excepting perfection itself, the tool that others strive to emulate - the Spirit."
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Looks like I'm a weenie  ::).

Here are my four favorite Multitools, in random order:

- Victorinox Swisstool
- Victorinox Spirit
- Leatherman ST300
- Leatherman Rebar

The agony of choice ... :ahhh

Okay, I'm going for the Swisstool, which is a bit weird because the Spirit offers the same tools in a smaller package, and the ST300 and Rebar both have superior wire cutters in my opinion  :think:.

Oh I can't explain, I just like the Swisstool :P.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
I (shamefully) voted for the Wingman.

By the price and reputation, I my brain tells me it is inferior to several of the other choices posted. But I like it best anyway. Here's why:

• My two most-used tools (knife and scissors) are externally accessible
  • Spring-loaded pliers are nice
  • Pocket clip
  • Package opener
  • Anvil-style wire cutters will still work if/when there's a little play in the pliers pivot
Drawbacks are that the file is not long enough to really be useful and the Phillips seems weak. (I haven't torqued it hard yet)

I wanted to vote Rebar, because it seems a bit higher quality, but I have to admit I need a scissors a lot more than a saw.

I have no experience with an ST300.

I have an original Swisstool, and it is excellent, but too big and heavy for me. Ditto for the Surge.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Swisstool vs Spirit I pick Swisstool all day long.  If we have to explain then it's just not worth it. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
That was easy. :)  MP600 for the win.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
The thread title says it best, "YOUR FAVORITE".  This topic come up often and understandably. 

My choice's are between the Wave and Surge with ST300 and Swisstool following behind. 

The reasons for me are simple with regards to the Wave/Surge and it's versatility.  My choice was Surge since the exchanger offers that much more versatility.  OHO tools are a plus to me and for work I could careless about the weight.   I like my Wave and would love to see an exchanger on it.  The ST300 and Swisstool are great tools but lacking OHO tools makes them easy to leave behind. 

I was on a ladder yesterday 3 stories up when I need to access my blade.  OHO just makes sense for me at work while 2HO is not a big deal off days. 

The exchanger for me is a terrific feature for times when needing a hacksaw for just that day for just that job.  I'm not carrying a hacksaw JIC nor keeping one on the truck JIC when my Surge handles the same tasks. 

I like many run into the same screws over and over again but I'll be darned when I see some oddball.  Having my bit card sure is nice and the extender too. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline rescue4500

for me its the leatherman wave
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
LM Crunch - because it has locking pliers (which can also work like regular pliers).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Here's the biggest issue I have with these threads..... favourite for what?

Working in a machine shop environment - Wave
Urban carry - Gerber Balance
About the house and garden - Spirit X

Each one of these is very strong in the role specified, but not necessarily best placed in the other categories. Yet despite this, I'd often grab one of my mods instead.

For the sake of playing along with the game, it will be Spirit X, but needs noting that there is no single correct answer, and saying Spirit X is actually a bit of a cop out

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
MP600 & MP400 not MT  :D
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!

I saw that too, but at least he included the greatest MT's ever made in the poll......  ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club

I saw that too, but at least he included the greatest MT's ever made in the poll......  ;)

And the Gerbers too  :D

us Offline metasyntax

I went back and forth between the Rebar and the Spirit.  In the end, I voted for the Rebar.  For me, favorite ≠ best.  Although it's not perfect, I think the Spirit is the best MT.  But I like my Rebar an awful lot, and I happen to be carrying it this week.  :-)

The perfect Frankenstein's MT to me would be:

• The body of a Spirit.
  • The head of a Rebar.
  • Full size Victorinox scissors.

That would be my new favorite.  :P
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
I really don't know because the last time I bought one was 25 or 30 years ago but based on the two I have from back then I think the current Gerber 600 with bluntnose pliers would be the one I would pick of the list you gave. It is still American made.
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Wave , OHO blades, pocket clip.
Spirit, well made, compact and light.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:12:38 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club

Working in a machine shop environment - Wave
Urban carry - Gerber Balance
About the house and garden - Spirit X

Each one of these is very strong in the role specified, but not necessarily best placed in the other categories. Yet despite this, I'd often grab one of my mods instead.

For the sake of playing along with the game, it will be Spirit X, but needs noting that there is no single correct answer, and saying Spirit X is actually a bit of a cop out
This was my issue as well.  I voted Wave because it can work for all the categories, but not always my favorite.
Urban carry - Skeletool CX  (since I also carry a SAK of some kind)
Woods carry - PST II, also paired with a SAK
Around the house/general purpose - Wave w/pocket clip
Bag/Kit carry - ST300 with bit adapter and card(s)

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club

I took it as favorite overall. Kind of like your "go to" full size mt.

For me that would be the spirit, specifically the spirit x. To me if I only had one full size mt on me without a doubt it would be this one. All outside tools, light weight, it has a complete package of tools, pretty much the closest thing to a perfect mt for me personally.

the rebar and wave are close seconds. followed by the diesel for third place. Great topic
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey

I took it as favorite overall. Kind of like your "go to" full size mt.

Yep, this is what I meant. Overall favorite.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
My favourite has to be my only one - the Spirit I won in a GAW last year - I love it but have nothing to compare it to, although people have said the fit and finish will spoil me for other MT's.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
I like all those I kept, Surge, Charge, Crunch, Skeletool, Juice, Swisstool, but my favorite is the Spirit.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
I also fall into the weenie category, Surge, Spirit and Charge (Tti)
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Vic Spirit though I really, really don't like the wood saw on it :salute:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

I went with the cheap tool because it fits my needs best. The Wingman has 3 things I like scissors, knife and pocket clip. Where the Rebar lacks clip and scissors. I thought about adding a pocket clip to my Rebar but no scissors killed it for me. I do use my Rebar around the house because it is convenient,  and I can go get scissors out of the drawer.
 And to be honest I have never handled a SwissTool so I do not have an opinion on them.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
I'm surprised the Rebar isn't doing better. I see a lot of folks carrying them here, but only 2 votes for favorite.  ???
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Definitely Spirit for me (and the standard serrated blade/scissors version at that).  Have got/had Wave, Rebar, Wingman, ST300, Surge, SwissTool and MP400 (as well as SwitchPlier and Crunch) and the Spirit is the one that's impressed me the most with the tools, ease of use, quality and feel.

Surge is big and heavy but very adaptable, once you back it up with all the accessories.  Probably my second favourite, but not one for everyday use.
SwissTool is also heavy, not as sophisticated as the Spirit.
Rebar feels cheap and uncomfortable though the pliers and philips driver are excellent.
Wave is great now I've modded it to suit me.
Wingman is cheap but poor quality compared to the Rebar/Wave.
MP400 is rattly and awkward to use, but nice and light and fun to play with.
Switchplier and Crunch both awkward to use and lacking in tools.  Nice gimmicks though.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
I'm also a little surprised that the Charge is not hanging right there with the Spirit.

Spirit has great build quality & design, with its externally accessible tools, but the Charge has the better blade steel and one-handed opening of them to make up for having some internal tools. It also has the bit driver system, which is better-integrated than Vic's ratchet, for example.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
I'm also a little surprised that the Charge is not hanging right there with the Spirit.

Spirit has great build quality & design, with its externally accessible tools, but the Charge has the better blade steel and one-handed opening of them to make up for having some internal tools. It also has the bit driver system, which is better-integrated than Vic's ratchet, for example.
Well those things are not valued by everyone.

- I carry an OHO blade anyway so my MT doesn't need one.
- Ever since I learned to sharpen I stopped caring about the steel.
- I prefer the Vic bit-system, because the Spirit works without bits and extender (more versatile in my eyes)

There are of course many more differences like grip comfort, pliers head shape, reach of the small tools, diamond file, scissors... So depending on what and how you need your MT will probably make a huge difference whether you choose the Charge or the Spirit. Also, outside of the USA the Charge is very expensive (here its about 1.25 times the price of a Spirit).

I'm more surprised that the Surge has the Wave beaten, in fact its surprising that the Wave is not at the top.
Although, considering the Charge and the Wave are basically the same tool, together they are in the lead.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%