Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is there anything BG will not whore his name to?

PTRSAK · 62 · 4801

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Re: Is there anything BG will not whore his name to?
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 11:35:15 PM
Wow! A survival bluetooth speaker  :think:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 12:02:04 AM
:facepalm:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 12:26:10 AM
The Bear Grylls Explorer Series
You won’t feel alone in the wild with the Bear Grylls Explorer One stashed neatly in your backpack!
Built-in rechargeable battery with up to 6 hours of constant use

Yeah I don't think it's a speaker...  :facepalm:

us Offline tommywp

Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 03:19:09 AM
The Bear Grylls Explorer Series
You won’t feel alone in the wild with the Bear Grylls Explorer One stashed neatly in your backpack!
Built-in rechargeable battery with up to 6 hours of constant use

Yeah I don't think it's a speaker...  :facepalm:

:rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 03:38:56 AM
Of course there is, anything that's quality.  :D

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 07:23:43 AM
Coming next:

A BG Folding Survival 100" LED screen
Shock proof
Energy saving
Bullet proof
Water proof
Conveniently folds and fits into the BG backpack

Stay tuned

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 08:07:25 AM
I am eagerly awaiting BG loo paper.  I used to like the guy but, for me, the relentless merchandising and commerSmurfpillsm has rather undermined what he actually does - it's a shame  :(

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 12:56:07 PM
What I am waiting, is the stupid hating to go away, it just getting ridiculous  :facepalm:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 05:47:05 PM
for me, the relentless merchandising and commerSmurfpillsm has rather undermined what he actually does - it's a shame  :(

But this is what he actually does: self-promotion, info-tainment, fake survivalism, public speaking and product endorsement.  He's an entertainer, not an adventurer or survivalist.  He used to do some impressive outdoors adventuring, like climbing Everest 17 years ago, but for the past several years it has only been for the cameras.

As for the claim of whoring, that's what Miley Cyrus and the Kardashians do.  Endorsing products is a pretty decent way to generate income.   I would sure put my name on a Gerber MT if they paid me.  Consider a yellow and black MP600 with Powernoodle boldly emblazoned on the handle.  Yeah baby.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 05:50:08 PM
I would sure put my name on a Gerber MT if they paid me.  Consider a yellow and black MP600 with Powernoodle boldly emblazoned on the handle.  Yeah baby.

No doubt. I would imagine most of us would put our name on a product if it would generate the kind of income that BG gets. Heck. We'd probably put our name on toilet paper for that kind of money. :)

That doesn't mean I can't make fun of him for his survival bluetooth speaker. It's a silly item in the context of the other equipment sold with his branding.

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 10:14:11 AM
for me, the relentless merchandising and commerSmurfpillsm has rather undermined what he actually does - it's a shame  :(

But this is what he actually does: self-promotion, info-tainment, fake survivalism, public speaking and product endorsement.  He's an entertainer, not an adventurer or survivalist.  He used to do some impressive outdoors adventuring, like climbing Everest 17 years ago, but for the past several years it has only been for the cameras.

As for the claim of whoring, that's what Miley Cyrus and the Kardashians do.  Endorsing products is a pretty decent way to generate income.   I would sure put my name on a Gerber MT if they paid me.  Consider a yellow and black MP600 with Powernoodle boldly emblazoned on the handle.  Yeah baby.

Yes it is what he does - but it seems so OTT for my taste - it is a personal view. I certainly don't hate him and he has some stunning achievements under his belt.

As for Miley Cyrus and the Kardashians I don't like their form of merchandising either, or X factor etc etc and most of the other slaves to consumerism.  I find it all in rather bad taste  :D

As a side issue I watched part of a Born Survivor episode only the other day and something he did on there was not only dangerous but plain reckless and I wondered if it might lead to a young kid trying it and getting injured (especially as youngsters sometimes have trouble separating entertainment from reality)  ;)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:17:59 AM by greenbear »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 11:46:21 AM
TV sucks 999‰.
But most BG products aren't true survivalistic because true survival situations are rare and the market small. Survival kits for planes, boats and maybe 4x4 vehicles and some for bushcraft lovers and perhaps some for the tsunami, earthquakes and typhoons zones. Most will never be used (thankfully) and will be an once only acquisition.
But people go camping every year. I think that these products, however silly many of them are, will appeal to campers and boyscouts, not marines and Mounteneers who probably know on what quality products they should rely their lives on.

us Offline getahl

Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 12:10:35 PM

I would buy something that said powernoodle. I don't care what it is, but I'd give them out as stocking stuffers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 12:16:55 PM

Yes it is what he does - but it seems so OTT for my taste - it is a personal view. I certainly don't hate him and he has some stunning achievements under his belt.

As for Miley Cyrus and the Kardashians I don't like their form of merchandising either, or X factor etc etc and most of the other slaves to consumerism.  I find it all in rather bad taste  :D

As a side issue I watched part of a Born Survivor episode only the other day and something he did on there was not only dangerous but plain reckless and I wondered if it might lead to a young kid trying it and getting injured (especially as youngsters sometimes have trouble separating entertainment from reality)  ;)

That's also my biggest concern with most "survival shows" these days, the things they do/suggest will most likely end your "survival situation" by getting you killed.  That's why I liked Les Stroud's Survivorman, Ray Mears, or even the first season of Dual Survival, (with the original cast). 

As for BG putting his name on stuff, it's an easy way to make money, so I can understand why he does it, but if I have the choice to buy an item with or without BG's name on it, I'm going for the non BG version.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 09:41:50 PM
That's also my biggest concern with most "survival shows" these days, the things they do/suggest will most likely end your "survival situation" by getting you killed.  That's why I liked Les Stroud's Survivorman, Ray Mears, or even the first season of Dual Survival, (with the original cast). 

Did you leave out the 2nd season of Dual Survival because Dave decided to seal a wound with gunpowder in one of the episodes? I think he thought he was on Myth Busters. (lol)

us Offline vartz04

Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 10:23:10 PM
Me personally, I think gerber stuff went down hill once they paired up with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 11:54:32 AM
Me personally, I think gerber stuff went down hill once they paired up with him.

+1
What do you think it did for their profits?

I've wanted something with my name already on there for so long......got as far as the EAB, and except if I can find some old stuff somewhere it's likely to be the last.....  >:(

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 12:07:07 PM

+1
What do you think it did for their profits?

I've wanted something with my name already on there for so long......got as far as the EAB, and except if I can find some old stuff somewhere it's likely to be the last.....  >:(
Nothing wrong with their MP600, top notch MT's and I hear their knifes are great too.
Also the only MT-line that offers different pliers-heads :salute:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 12:20:45 PM
Ah, a typical MTo day...

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 12:26:14 PM
It's the dangerous advice that I have a real issue with.  Not awfully happy about the dishonesty either, but it's not that surprising given he is making TV.

The point about his branded gear being aimed at camping and hiking is a good one.  Some might even be useful if things go wrong. ;)  Are we sure the speaker is genuine?  I know there have been fake BG things on the market.

The shame is that there is some of his BG Craghopper and Gerber gear that I like the look of, but I wouldn't want anyone to see me and think that I agree with what he does in his shows. :shrug:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 12:58:57 PM
It's the dangerous advice that I have a real issue with.  Not awfully happy about the dishonesty either, but it's not that surprising given he is making TV.

The point about his branded gear being aimed at camping and hiking is a good one.  Some might even be useful if things go wrong. ;)  Are we sure the speaker is genuine?  I know there have been fake BG things on the market.

The shame is that there is some of his BG Craghopper and Gerber gear that I like the look of, but I wouldn't want anyone to see me and think that I agree with what he does in his shows. :shrug:
Well its TV, don't they always say "don't try this at home"?

I think you are expecting too much. After watching a cooking program, no-one believes that he can now cook, it still takes practice.

I haven't watched in a long time but I always thought the basics is sound. Here is what I have taken from BG-shows

- When lost, head downhill/downstream
- Know the local flora/fauna

That is not much but its the very basics and the first one is sound (He even showed exceptions like when you are in the Everglades).
The second one was always a bit cool, like he could make a torch or whatever because he knew what to use. I think that was always great encouragement to learn about the local wilderness so you could do these cool stuff too.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 01:15:19 PM
Nothing wrong with their MP600, top notch MT's and I hear their knifes are great too.
Also the only MT-line that offers different pliers-heads :salute:
I'm limited by what's available locally, and unfortunately that's a bunch of BG-branded crap, hectically overpriced MT's......would you pay US$35 for a Dime? Or almost US$80 for a MP400?
I know some of the knives are good, I can get the LMF locally, but I'll spare you the price  :D

What I WANT is some of their older knives.....

I think you are expecting too much.

You're right, there's good basics to be picked up.
Unfortunately his general jumping/running antics are complete BS and completely contra-survival......

Anyways....seems like he's given up, so now he's just faffing around with celebrities......

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 01:21:02 PM
I'll tell you what, one of the shows made me want/need the BG Parang very badly a few years ago...  :rofl:

Fortunately it also wasn't available locally, I googled a bit and found out it had been recalled......

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 01:41:47 PM

Well its TV, don't they always say "don't try this at home"?

I think you are expecting too much. After watching a cooking program, no-one believes that he can now cook, it still takes practice.

I haven't watched in a long time but I always thought the basics is sound. Here is what I have taken from BG-shows

- When lost, head downhill/downstream
- Know the local flora/fauna

That is not much but its the very basics and the first one is sound (He even showed exceptions like when you are in the Everglades).
The second one was always a bit cool, like he could make a torch or whatever because he knew what to use. I think that was always great encouragement to learn about the local wilderness so you could do these cool stuff too.

I'd agree that those basics are OK.  However jumping into a raging river using a rucksack as a buoyancy aid (HE was wearing a lifejacket under his jumper), woefully inadequate test dig to check for avalanches, eating things that are more likely to poison you than help (raw random dead snake anyone?), swimming in artic waters (again HE wore a dry suit under his clothes) and shimmying across ravines on totally untested ropes is all just nuts.

I'm not saying he doesn't have good advice as well, it's just that he also advocates stuff that makes me cringe.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 04:57:56 PM
I'm limited by what's available locally, and unfortunately that's a bunch of BG-branded crap, hectically overpriced MT's......would you pay US$35 for a Dime? Or almost US$80 for a MP400?
I know some of the knives are good, I can get the LMF locally, but I'll spare you the price  :D

Gotta love the typical price difference between the Bear Grylls Ultimate Multitool and the Gerber Suspension. But then again, there are plenty on MTO who would pay double for a blue Alox Farmer as opposed to a silver Alox Farmer. If someone wants to pay extra for the GB name and branding and understands they are essentially the same tool, that's fine. The problem is that people trust in the BG name and don't realize that they could buy the Suspension as the same tool for less money. If Gerber marketed it as the BG special edition Suspension multitool, I'd have much less problem with it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 04:59:24 PM by raistlin65 »

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 22, 2015, 02:40:01 AM
I know how much you guys like the BG branded gear, so I had to post this special for the Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife, Fixed Blade, Fine Edge $24.99, free shipping
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=61500

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: August 22, 2015, 10:22:33 AM

I would buy something that said powernoodle. I don't care what it is, but I'd give them out as stocking stuffers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

+1! Powernoodle Survival Ricecakes :drool:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 04:52:21 PM
People, remember that in the end, it's ALWAYS about the money. Always!

BG is nothing short of an entertainer making all the dollars he can while the fame (or infamy) is there. He knows it's a bunch of s--t, but he's laughing all the way to the bank. The joke is on the world that watches him and his stupid antics, and BG is living a royal life style off the money frm idiots who take him halfway serious. That he is an out and out fraud has been established. So called survival outings while staying at a 5 star hotel nearby. Yeah.

PT Barnum had it right about a sucker being born every minute. If I had the chance to make the money that BG is making by acting like a fool and marketing mediocre stuff, heck I'd be on it like a bear on honey!

Or maybe not. But I don't think there's a lot of money in a show all about how to survive with a saw equipped  SAK and a Bic lighter and common sense. Too boring for big profit.

In the end, it's always all about the money!
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #29 on: October 26, 2015, 10:19:23 AM
I've recently been to the women's section of the grocery store and I did not see any Bear Grylls endorsed panty liners or tampons.  He's probably still in negotiations with those companies.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%