Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My Gerbers have landed

Smaug · 41 · 3360

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: My Gerbers have landed
Reply #30 on: August 10, 2015, 10:29:12 PM
Interesting info there Smaug :salute:

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: August 16, 2015, 11:11:15 AM
I have had a Diesel (Well, more than one and probably will get one again sometime).
If you want to support American made products, that´s fine, the MP 600 line is great. But the Diesel is not bad, either.
I wanted a to try a Diesel for it´s longer blade and updated construction (less rattly and with Torx instead of the proprietary Gerber bolts)

As I do not have long time user experience (The old MP 600 got back into service quickly), I cannot say if the tools are made to a lesser standard. For me, the plier head and the tool selection were not the best choice for my daily tasks. Otherwise I found the fit and finish to be on par with the MP 600. I just don´t need a saw that often and I like the 3d Phillips much more. The plier head is good, but I like the simpler construction of the Bluntnose MP 600 better, the plier head opens very wide and I can still get an adequate grip.

I don´t understand what sets the Diesel and MP 600 apart marketing wise - The concepts are too similar IMHO and as long as there are different MP 600s available, why have the diesel, unless it´s a less pricy alternative?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #32 on: August 18, 2015, 01:04:47 PM
I tried the Diesel for the longer scissors and the addition of a wood saw. It seems durable enough to me, or should I say I haven't broken one yet  :D I understand what you mean about the lack of differential between it and the MP600 though. I don't feel the need for a MP600 if I own a Diesel. I don't tend to need blunt nosed pliers, though the blade exchanger is nice. That's why I stole it from a DET and fitted it to a Diesel  >:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: August 19, 2015, 08:27:21 AM
To each his own! I don´t need a woodsaw on a daily - or even monthly - basis, so I would have replaced that with something more useful for me, but I could see either the availability of different blades for the blade exchanger or a woodsaw in a MP 600 variant as a useful addition for many users
And I could imagine the long Phillips of the Sight Tool would be a welcome addition for many.

What tools did you drop in favour of the Blade exchanger and how do you get along with the 2D Phillips?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: August 19, 2015, 08:50:00 AM
Firstly, I don't happen to need a wood saw frequently either, but as it's now in a mini grab and go type kit for when I don't know what I'm likely to need, I've opted to keep it  :D

The tools I ditched to make way for the blade exchanger were the blade and the lanyard loop. I have kept a separate folder in that organiser.

The 2D Phillips has done just fine so far, though I haven't tackled anything too heavy with it. Also in the same kit I have the relevant bit adapter, so I can use a full 3D replaceable bit for stubborn screws. I see the most likely point of failure on stubborn screws as the tip becoming gnarled up rather than the shank twisting, so this addresses the issue nicely, and also ensures the maximum diversity of the tool.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: August 19, 2015, 08:55:21 AM
Thank you for the insight!

I get your point of being prepared for the unexpected. I do tend to carry some kind of tool with a saw, too when out and about, but my usual work EDC does not call for a saw, and when it does, usually more than a MT7SAK saw is needed.
I handle those small and quick challenges with a SAK and my MP 600, saves me miles each week, I guess. ;-)

Does the Diesel plier head slide mechanism loosen up obver time, i.e. can you flick it?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: August 19, 2015, 09:04:30 AM
Both my BO version (the TurboDiesel mod alluded to above), and standard version (unmodified) flick freely. I can't remember if I freed off the torx screws on the slide plates at all though  :think:

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: August 19, 2015, 09:19:54 AM
Both example I owned would not flick, teh slided out freely and were less rattly than a MP600, but would not flick. I never used them enough to see if it would loosen up.
I guess I will own a Diesel again some time in the future....

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: August 19, 2015, 12:51:12 PM
Probably operator error  :P

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: August 19, 2015, 01:16:06 PM
Yes most likely, as Gerber Tools are quite new to me... :P

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #40 on: August 19, 2015, 03:39:16 PM
My Diesel doesn't flick as easily as my MP600 PS does, and I have to hold it differently in order to flick it.  It does require more effort than the 600.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44