Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can I mix and match flashlight parts?

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Can I mix and match flashlight parts?
on: August 14, 2015, 02:42:02 PM
Ok, this might be a bit of a long shot, but I'm going to ask anyway.

I realized that a lot of my AA flashlights have similar thread connection points. ie they all seem to use the same thread size, tube diameter and thread depth.

Anybody ever tried mixing the heads, tails and battery tubes between different manufacturers? I've done it with some of my Fenix lights, but that is same brand part swapping.

I'm looking at putting the head from my Thrunite Neutron V2 onto the body and tail switch of my Fenix LD12. Then I have a tail switch to prevent unwanted activation by the electrical switch on the Neutron.

I tested the fit and function and it seems to work (short term test). I do lose the instant on capability if the tail switch has been deactivated (need o activate the electronic switch afterwards) but can always leave it on and just use the electronic one if I need easy and repeated on/off mode switching. Tail cap switch would primarily be for storage.

Thoughts? Anyone tried something similar?

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Can I mix and match flashlight parts?
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 03:02:05 PM
Yep, I've tried it, if it works, it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't.
I've tried AAAs only, though. The head of my Preon P2 with my Lumintop Tool body & tail cap and the latter with the head of my Fenix LD02 or vice versa, I\m not quite sure anymore. But it's possible and cool :D

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 03:16:01 PM
Yep, I've tried it, if it works, it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't.
I've tried AAAs only, though. The head of my Preon P2 with my Lumintop Tool body & tail cap and the latter with the head of my Fenix LD02 or vice versa, I\m not quite sure anymore. But it's possible and cool :D

Nice.

It worked in testing with the Neutron head on the body and switch of the LD12. I'll have to try a longer term test to see if it is sustainable. I think it should be as the tail switch on the LD12 is just for on/off and doesn't control any modes on the version I have.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 12:27:34 PM
Not tried it in a while, and when I did I had nothing that fitted together. :(
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 02:59:09 PM
Even one size from one brand can vary, I've had different generations of Fenix AA that are different. I forget if it was changing from L1D to LD10 or between two generations of LD10 that it changed. I've a feeling it was the latter.

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 03:45:43 PM
Two brands that are supposed to work well for mixing and matching are Sunwayman and FourSevens. Various incarnations of the Sunwaymans are said to use the same threads and compatible bodies and extenders on purpose and people report doing all kinds of crazy stuff with them.

The FourSevens Quarks also have interchangeable heads and bodies, possibly even to the point of being able to swap out CR123A for AA. You should check the voltage ratings on FourSevens heads though because they are often not made for hot batteries and using the wrong Lithium rechargeable will fry your setup.
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD