Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Smurfing mosquitos!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Smurfing mosquitos!
Reply #30 on: August 20, 2015, 05:41:55 PM
Couple of weeks back I had 16 bites on my left foot...  :rant:

Anyway here is an interesting video
Nathan Myhrvold vs. Malaria

It's all interesting, but they bring out the laser at about 9:40 and at around 14:10 you see those smurfstards getting shot :tu:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #31 on: August 22, 2015, 02:55:35 PM
I remember reading an article may years ago that suggested that very fair skinned people are less attractive to midges, though it didn't go so far as to say why that might be. 

I'm lucky enough that I really don't seem to get bitten very often at all, but when I do I react strongly. :shrug:

So do I... loudly, violently and with many words you wouldn't want your children to hear....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #32 on: August 23, 2015, 07:55:49 AM
Been painting my garage for three days now. Ther is much mosquitos around me, and stinging. No itchy bumbs so far. Only bumb that i got, when i found out there was a wasp hive behind one board. Man those things were pissed off when i poisoned their nest. I had to jump down from a ladder and run. Now that sting hurted.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 12:00:38 PM
Always hit wasps after dark when they are asleep and slow to react.

There are really good sprays that you can use.   It's basically a poison foam.  You stick the tube up into the nest and fill it with goo before they can come after you.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #34 on: August 24, 2015, 01:05:49 PM
My technique is to always have a really pale person, preferably female, next to me, so they attract/distract all the mosquitoes..

Having a lot of body hair also seems to help, as they need to get through the forest of hair to get to the skin - try wearing a fur coat  :D

Some people get bitten a lot (the sweet ones) , but I am usually lucky not to be one of them  :D 
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #35 on: August 24, 2015, 07:21:24 PM
For wasps I always go for Raid Super, pretty much drops em down in a second, generous spray in the hive would pretty much deal with all them buggers at once...
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #36 on: August 24, 2015, 09:19:10 PM
If only Grant would listen to me about the mosquitoes. :twak: :twak: :twak:

My formula:
Cover entire body in Watkins Insect Repellent Lotion: http://www.mec.ca/product/5014-875/watkins-insect-repellent-lotion-240-ml/
Spray ankles (and other prone areas) with Ben's: http://www.mec.ca/product/5002-013/bens-30-wilderness-insect-repellent-pump-spray-37ml/

This combination works far better than Deep Woods Off. It has about the same amount of DEET. Plus the Watkins has some other components that makes it so much better.
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Smurfing mosquitos!
Reply #37 on: August 26, 2015, 05:17:12 PM
I'd also suggest Permethrin, it's a synthetic chemical that you apply to your clothes.  Its been used in the military of both US and British troops.

I recently got back from a week long motorcycle camping trip. All my shirts, pants, hat, shoes, sleeping bag and hammock w/ bug net were treated with Sawyers permethrin spray. There were lots of insects flying around, but none were near me. This was most noticeable when in the hammock. Before the treatment, the bugs would be all over the outside of the bug net. To the point of waking me with their buzzing. Not this time!

When we went for a hike around a stagnant lake, I found I had to apply a small amount of Citronella based repellant to bare skin. That is all. It was a Deet free week for me, and that is a good thing in my opinion.

Dave
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #38 on: August 29, 2015, 06:24:12 AM
Eat a bunch of wild leeks (wild garlic, ramps) and then work up a little sweat. That will help to keep them away.

That also keeps cheerleaders away :)
A swarm of cheerleaders?

Where do I sign up?
Actually the correct word for a group of cheerleaders is "gaggle" and not swarm :P

I think the cheerleaders would disagree and say "squad." But gaggle is more to my liking :D

I would prefer a bosom of cheerleaders.

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #39 on: August 29, 2015, 03:37:39 PM
Just use plain white vinegar.

It will work as a repellent and also to substantially relieve the itching after you've been bitten.

I've been using it for many years already and it always works.

:tu:

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #40 on: August 31, 2015, 09:28:22 AM
Depending where I am camping mosquitos are either just a nuisance or a life threatening problem.
Malaria is very real high up on the east coast and in Mozambique where I go diving and fishing.

Southern Mozambique and SA are generally ok,  you would need bad luck to get it but it is there. Higher north it's just a matter of time.

Long sleeves, long pants, Deet spray (just local Tabard brand works) at night, zap the tent an hour before you go sleep and I'm usually fine.

Sleeping outside in a hammock = trip to the hospital is imminent.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: September 02, 2015, 05:44:21 AM
I was fortunate enough to visit Yellowstone and few other national parks in US a few months ago.  While taking a lot of sunrise and sunset pictures, I did learn thing or two about mosquitoes:

1) They like black color.  I worn a long sleeve black jacket during most of the shoot and usually lay down my black camera backpack during shoot.  There were consistently two swamps of mosquitoes circling me and my pack, and my relatives whom worn blue and pink were totally fine.

2) Knowing we would be swamped, I brought along an electronic mosquitoes-killing racket.  Yes, it did work and I must have killed dozens at a time, but their supply is endless.  It gotten so bad that if my cousin just randomly hit me with the racket, he could kill three in a roll(no kidding!)

3) Wear hat net and heavy jacket.  During sunrise shoot, the temperature could go pretty low and wearing a medium weight down jacket kills two birds in one stone.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%