Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mold material?

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Mold material?
on: August 19, 2015, 04:55:13 PM
Hi All

Just had a bit of a brainwave....

I want to make molds of my BK2's scales and then stuff the molds with resin and bits of material to make camo Micarta like that YT video some might have seen.

Any tips on something really commonly available I could use to make the molds?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: Mold material?
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 05:08:59 PM
Note - I've never done this so am guessing here. :)

You'll need something that is stiff and strong so you can compress the fabric and resin as it's drying to get the air out, plus some kind of release agent/lubricant that won't react with the epoxy.  I've seen flat micarta made with wooden presses and waxed paper to stop it sticking.

Plaster of Paris might work for the moulds, but may be too brittle.  Maybe reinforce it with some fibrous material (glass fibre)?  You'll probably want to make the scales slightly oversized if possible too, so you can sand back to a good finish.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 08:54:24 PM
 :think: 
Wrap the BK in cling film then wrap in micarta to make a mold?

Or try making a wood negative mold, lining it with two layers of cling film, probably wax as well   

:shrug:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 09:10:07 PM by Sparky415 »
Everything’s adjustable

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 09:01:15 PM
Clay might work, if it needs to be hard.

Plaster, if not needed to use mold again.

sg Offline Dr Hunt

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 09:04:30 AM
Plaster is a common material for low use count. Art and design supplies shops often have the stuff needed to make a plaster mould.
Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need- Miyamoto Musashi ce.1645

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 09:13:19 AM

You'll need something that is stiff and strong so you can compress the fabric and resin as it's drying to get the air out, plus some kind of release agent/lubricant that won't react with the epoxy.  I've seen flat micarta made with wooden presses and waxed paper to stop it sticking.

Plaster of Paris might work for the moulds, but may be too brittle.  Maybe reinforce it with some fibrous material (glass fibre)?  You'll probably want to make the scales slightly oversized if possible too, so you can sand back to a good finish.

Thanks, most votes for Plaster of Paris.
You mention my main concern, strength when compressing it......and give a simple solution - I'm pretty sure it would be strong enough if I construct the mold like a leg cast, everything is cheap and easily available!  :tu:
Just didn't think that far  :facepalm:
Thanks  :D

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 09:42:35 AM
 :tu:

Remember, we need pics. :pok:

sg Offline Dr Hunt

Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 09:53:35 AM

Thanks, most votes for Plaster of Paris.
You mention my main concern, strength when compressing it......and give a simple solution - I'm pretty sure it would be strong enough if I construct the mold like a leg cast, everything is cheap and easily available!  :tu:
Just didn't think that far  :facepalm:
Thanks  :D

How about making the plaster mould with a big rectangular form? It is robust when fully dried and lays flat while you work on the scales casting.
Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need- Miyamoto Musashi ce.1645

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 03:56:55 PM
Sounds like you need something that's not just mouldable, but strong unber compression so that you can press them to force the resin through the fibres, and also squeeze out the excess.

Here's a thought which either might work, or might inspire a better idea from someone else...... sand casting type mould

Make a top and bottom wooden box, and fill with wet sand. You could try using a diluted water based glue for the liquid to help the sand retain it's form afterwards. Wrap the existing handles in cling film, and work them into the wet sand to the depth of the steel, remove the knife and allow the sand to dry. Maybe a coat of some sort of spray adhesive or fixative after drying might help strengthen it further. Fill both halves with the new material, and press them together with a piece of bar stock the same dimensions as the tang in between so it lips over a bit, and squeeze the box using g cramps with as much force as the box will take. The moulds might no survive to cast another pair, put it just means refilling the boxes with the sand mix.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD