Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wish List for SOG....Near Future

Demel · 10 · 1449

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Wish List for SOG....Near Future
on: August 20, 2015, 04:15:38 AM
I've been thinking sog has gotten back in the game with the new switchplier. It seems to have mostly positive reviews. Smaug also posted a thread on why sog isn't more popular. So lets put in one place what we would ask from sog in the near future

For one, please please please, o please can you put the tools for the powerlock on the OUTSIDE!!!!!! The covers I get (its a lazy solution but I get it) but to keep the tools on the inside just turns me off completely. Why make your tool harder to use :rant: :rant: :rant: Ok I'm done with that.

Next would be simplify the design for the powerduo. It's a great tool, but it's bulky and heavy. It needs to be lighter, thinner, and a pocket clip. For the tool set supplied that would make it a very competitive tool in the minimalist edc market.

Lastly (for now) keep making components swappable. It really is a unique feature to sog and one that makes a lot of people happy here. So :hatsoff:

What do you want from sog?
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Wish List for SOG....Near Future
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 09:38:23 AM
The only tools from SOG I've truly liked are the Toolclip, the Switchplier, and the Paladin PT-510 (nicer pliers than the PPP, and gear covers). What I want from SOG is for them to spend more time thinking about the usability and quality control of their offerings rather than just coming up with novel concepts.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 09:58:06 AM
How about slimming down the Crosscut? The scissors are excellent.
The toothpick and tweezers are useless. Just take them out, make the tool thinner and lighter and have them as scale tools.

A rework of the CrossGrip would be nice too.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 10:06:40 AM
I'd like to see them update the inside tools. The can opener for instance was a big surprise on the Switchplier 2.0. I didn't understand what was the fuss about it when it looks exactly like the Victorinox can opener. After inspecting it, the design might be the same but it comes dull and with a rounded tip.  From experience I'd say that isn't a winning combination
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 06:09:13 PM
If i were king of SOG's tool division...

I've said it before, and I will reiterate here - outside access. The PL should have 4 outside tool channels in the same manner as the LM Surge. PL should be blunt nosed plier head. Also, with replaceable cutters. PL should have enough space internally for 4 drivers per side. The PPP should have 2 outside tools similar to LM Wingman. Non locking, and a pocket clip. Enough room inside for 3 tools per handle. Keep the existing plier head but add gear covers.

Make a new keychain tool that would accept the short components of the full-size line. Crosscut 3?

Redesign SP2 handle to facilitate outside access long tools.

An even more compact SwitchPlier with much smaller plier head, like a LM Juice for reference. About that same overall size, as well. Space for 3 inside tools. Non locking.

I would really like to see SOG embrace the customization niche more fully. Sell their tools as an empty chassis with the plier head, then the customer picks what tools they want separately.

Redesign the implements, specifically, a fully 3D Philips. How about a mini blade for folks who don't want a full size slot occupied by a blade. Offer the West Marine sailing and fishing specific implements. Offer the Paladin datacomm implements. Manufacture some AR/firearm maintenance implements. You see where I'm going, right?

Also, streamline the lineup. Delete the Powerassist and Powerduo. The PA is basically just a PL with 4 less tools. PowerDuo is a confused monstrosity. Now basically superceded by the release of the SP2.

I think I would retire the Paratool, but it does have a following so I might do limited runs every few years. Same with ToolClip.

Finally, but most importantly, get QC under control. If they want China involved fine, but do it right. Personally I am against it - with tools, especially, "made in USA" goes a long way. Military, LE, Fire Fighters, handy men, construction... these folks really value American made and would be willing to pay a bit more for it.

Good idea for a topic. I enjoy these sort of thought exercises. I am looking forward to seeing what others have to say.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 07:09:40 PM
Loving the ideas. Usability, quality, and access seem to be the major overall improvement areas. Rdub: very well said. You must have thought about this before. :tu: great stuff. The powerlock has so much potential that sog is not tapping into. and their customizable tools can be explored more as well although you can call and have them put together the configuration you want.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 07:11:10 PM
I'd like to see them update the inside tools. The can opener for instance was a big surprise on the Switchplier 2.0. I didn't understand what was the fuss about it when it looks exactly like the Victorinox can opener. After inspecting it, the design might be the same but it comes dull and with a rounded tip.  From experience I'd say that isn't a winning combination
I plan on completely removing the can opener from the sp2. I don't need one ever. But better quality implements would be nice 

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 07:14:28 PM
I would also like to see them offer packages for their components so they aren't so expensive. 4 blades for $25 or something like that. It can get out of hand

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 03:04:40 AM

An even more compact SwitchPlier with much smaller plier head, like a LM Juice for reference. About that same overall size, as well. Space for 3 inside tools. Non locking.

Already done (by United Cutlery for Stanley, I believe under licence from SOG).  4 small inside tools

Stanley "Automatic Multi-Tool"  SL0040MTNC (I have one still in its sealed clamshell)

Approx 75mm long (excluding lanyard ring), body is 14mm thick

scroll down to:  "Stanley (made by United Cutlery) Automatic Multi Tool..."

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/555327-Let-s-see-some-pictures!/page14
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 06:51:22 PM

Already done (by United Cutlery for Stanley, I believe under licence from SOG).  4 small inside tools

Stanley "Automatic Multi-Tool"  SL0040MTNC (I have one still in its sealed clamshell)

Approx 75mm long (excluding lanyard ring), body is 14mm thick

scroll down to:  "Stanley (made by United Cutlery) Automatic Multi Tool..."

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/555327-Let-s-see-some-pictures!/page14

Yep. Now SOG just needs to "2.0" it and call it good! Lol
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%