Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me find a Multi-color Flashlight (Light not the body)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
So, about a month ago I started to go on night-hikes simply because it was to hot during the day and I had time in the evening. These are not very stern hikes more like 1-3 hours in the local forest. I do like the dark but I also like gear :D, so I would like to have a more versatile flashlight that apart from white light also has other colors (primarily red).

Size: I'm not set on a size, but I require that the larger the flashlight, the more functions it should have
Battery: Any, although I would prefer if it would work with li-ion rechargeable batteries (cr123 or 18650).
White light: it should at least have a very low and a high mode.
Colors: A low red light is a must. Green light would be a bonus (I've read that this is better for map reading). Blue would be welcome too. I don't need a rainbow, as there is no function to orange light.
UV/IR: I have no use for these at the moment, but would love to have those options, especially IR (Night vision goggles are pretty high up on the list of toys I would like to get my hands on :D). Sadly, I have not found any flashlight that has both UV and IR.

What I found so far:
Nitecore CI6
1 - 440 lumen | red/blue/green | IR

Nitecore SRT3
0.1 - 330 lumen | red/blue
Very compact
Takes CR123 and AA batteries

So does anyone have input on the two above or another suggestion?
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Help me find a Multi-color Flashlight (Light not the body)
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 10:46:36 AM
One that comes to mind is the Sunwayman D20A.  IIRC someone here has one and liked it.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 11:03:53 AM
Just found the Sunwayman C21C as well.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 11:14:36 AM
You don't want one, but I have one of these S&W flashlights around somewhere that I bought in 2008: http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-Galaxy-Flashlight-White/dp/B000I4JG26. Apparently it was around a couple of years before that. Can't believe they are still selling them.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 11:16:37 AM
One that comes to mind is the Sunwayman D20A.  IIRC someone here has one and liked it.

Just found the Sunwayman C21C as well.
Thanks for those leads. I have never seen a Sunwayman in my life.

I have seen the D20A (during my web-search), kinda was unimpressed.
Also I have currently 0 devices using AA batteries so this was not my first choice. I think the SRT3 is smaller but offers more features. I would have to check prices though, the SRT3 is not exactly cheap.

I have to check out the C21C in more detail. What I noticed is that the low for both white and red is very high (42 and 14 lumens respectively). Although I have no experience with red-light, maybe that is a good amount?

Will revisit those two (recommendations are always good).

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:11:01 PM by Etherealicer »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 11:21:35 AM
You don't want one, but I have one of these S&W flashlights around somewhere that I bought in 2008: http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-Galaxy-Flashlight-White/dp/B000I4JG26. Apparently it was around a couple of years before that. Can't believe they are still selling them.
Well, that one is much cheaper... But as you realized not what I'm looking for. 25lumen would probably be enough for high but the absence of low is a deal-breaker.

How do you like the red light on this one? 6.5 lumen sounds like the right amount?

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 12:12:29 PM
Why do you need a red light ?  If it is to just preserve your night vision then a white LED at a very low level will be fine - basically any time you can't distinguish colours the light level isn't reducing your night vision much. 

What is important is having a user interface where you can be certain of getting the low level you are after, not an unintended blinding flash of hi beam which leaves you blinking and effectively blind for several minutes - it might be worth having two different lights eg a Photon Freedom Micro for the very low levels of light, and a larger 18650 light for illuminating half the forest when required (with lower levels for flexibility and extended battery life).

If it is for an "astronomy party" then these often have strict rules about red leds only (but in fact a low level turquoise led is actually better for the purpose).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 01:05:13 PM
Why do you need a red light ?  If it is to just preserve your night vision then a white LED at a very low level will be fine - basically any time you can't distinguish colours the light level isn't reducing your night vision much. 

What is important is having a user interface where you can be certain of getting the low level you are after, not an unintended blinding flash of hi beam which leaves you blinking and effectively blind for several minutes - it might be worth having two different lights eg a Photon Freedom Micro for the very low levels of light, and a larger 18650 light for illuminating half the forest when required (with lower levels for flexibility and extended battery life).

If it is for an "astronomy party" then these often have strict rules about red leds only (but in fact a low level turquoise led is actually better for the purpose).
Need is a strong word, I would rather call it fancy a red light...

I figure I need 3 lights in my life
1 small for EDC with AAA battery - Currently I have a Maglite Solitair LED and a no-name brand that is really small. Both are OK but will be replaced at one point.
1 to use - For me, that is the Olight S10R. Great output modi, great interface, easy maintenance and clip faces backwards. For me, the best flashlight available.
1 for fun - Well, it's either a insanely bright one or one with tons of functions. I decided to go for the multi function as I will get far more use out of this. I'm also curious and love tech, it's one of the reasons why the SRT family is in my pool of choices. That smart selector ring is SEXY :drool:

So yes, you are right and the S10R already covers all of this.
I would like an all in one, for the same reasons I like MT's. Grab one and you are covered for eventualities... besides Photon Freedom Micro looks ugly ::)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:08:58 PM by Etherealicer »

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 02:59:46 PM
Well, that one is much cheaper... But as you realized not what I'm looking for. 25lumen would probably be enough for high but the absence of low is a deal-breaker.

How do you like the red light on this one? 6.5 lumen sounds like the right amount?

The red light is great on it. And it's also a pretty sturdy flashlight. But you would think they could redesign it with 4 current generation white LEDs and one red one.

These Ultrafires come in different colors: http://www.amazon.com/UltraFire-300lm-Flashlight-Torch-Adjustable/dp/B006E0QAFY/.  There is a three color light set of one green, one red, and one UV (3 flashlights). That set might be fun to play with if you can find it for cheap on Ebay. Figure out what colors you would really use, and then look for it in a nice, kickass flashlight :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:01:03 PM by raistlin65 »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 03:21:06 PM

The red light is great on it. And it's also a pretty sturdy flashlight. But you would think they could redesign it with 4 current generation white LEDs and one red one.

These Ultrafires come in different colors: http://www.amazon.com/UltraFire-300lm-Flashlight-Torch-Adjustable/dp/B006E0QAFY/.  There is a three color light set of one green, one red, and one UV (3 flashlights). That set might be fun to play with if you can find it for cheap on Ebay. Figure out what colors you would really use, and then look for it in a nice, kickass flashlight :)
Thanks, I have to look into UltraFire... it might be interesting for testing.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 09:16:32 AM
Found plenty more
LED Lenser P7QC: Pretty good contender but it lacks a low. It's also quite pricey (at this price I expect perfection).
Fenix LD75C: No low either BUT it has a very high high.

There are more like PowerTac etc. but they mostly are very expensive without bringing anything to the table.
I also revisited the Sunwayman D20A, appears that this is the only multicolor flashlight where the red has more than one output level.

Finally, I found a cheapo from Kinfire (looks a lot like the one from Gerber). Quite cheap.
kinfire.jpg
* kinfire.jpg (Filesize: 14.56 KB)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 09:22:17 AM
Possibly not much help, and it may have been mentioned before, but many torches come with filters you can put on the lens to change the output colours (used to be common with older army lights/work lights).

I do have some really cheap UV/laser/LED lights but are more for fun, rather than actual use.

Some lasers can produce a spread beam (using a lens) that can be used as a light (Green, red..)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 09:28:21 AM
 :facepalm:

I used to have one, maybe still do... somewhere :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 09:42:01 AM
Some more :facepalm:

Just checked, the TaLa15 (Flashlight introduced in 2015 to the Swiss Military). Also features red and green:

TaLa15.jpg
* TaLa15.jpg (Filesize: 41.83 KB)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored

sg Offline Dr Hunt

Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 04:51:47 AM
I have a couple of these:

(Image removed from quote.)

They come with LED now, apparently
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-ARMY-STYLE-LED-AA-RIGHT-ANGLE-CROOK-NECK-TORCH-FLASHLIGHT-/171435660844?hash=item27ea5c962c

How do you like them? I was issued this and it was more of a dead weight than flashlight for what I need it to do.
Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need- Miyamoto Musashi ce.1645

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 06:50:28 AM
Dr, I have the original ones, with no LED and have not used them in a decade. They were bright enough in their day, and free, but now they are just too weak and heavy to actually use...

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

sg Offline Dr Hunt

Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 07:17:01 AM
Dr, I have the original ones, with no LED and have not used them in a decade. They were bright enough in their day, and free, but now they are just too weak and heavy to actually use...

Filament bulbs and C size batt? Good ol days of heavy equipment. Mine is in storage as memorabilia. Recently missed out on a 40% discounted Streamlight Sidewinder Compact II, white, blue, red and IR. 

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 10:19:18 PM
Holymoly, they still exist :o They got a 5 LED upgrade, but its still the same design with the sliding color-filters and the 4.5V battery. Even the switch is still the same.

7.5$ of NOSTALGIA :D

bricklight_01.jpg
* bricklight_01.jpg (Filesize: 492.24 KB)
bricklight_02.jpg
* bricklight_02.jpg (Filesize: 361.46 KB)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:20:42 PM by Etherealicer »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 10:37:38 PM
Very retro cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 01:54:07 AM
I had no idea they still made those batteries!  Nice find mate. :cheers:

sg Offline Dr Hunt

Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 04:54:28 AM
Nice collection, Etherealicer. I have never seen this, it looks like a good successor to the old "L" torch.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 10:40:04 AM
When I have some time, I'm going to track down a real old one. Shouldn't be hard or expensive... Also, I need one of the new ones... for reasons, but that one is actually very expensive (100 USD), so it will have to wait for some time (I just ordered a new computer).

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #23 on: August 27, 2015, 10:56:56 AM
 :ahhh    :ahhh   :ahhh    :ahhh   

new MOD       :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

:cheers:   :cheers:   :D :D :D  I just noticed the new label -  Congratulations Etheralicer   :cheers: :tu:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: August 27, 2015, 11:16:02 AM
:ahhh    :ahhh   :ahhh    :ahhh   

new MOD       :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

:cheers:   :cheers:   :D :D :D  I just noticed the new label -  Congratulations Etherealicer   :cheers: :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%