Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

X-Tract Multitool by Buck Knives

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

X-Tract Multitool by Buck Knives
on: August 22, 2015, 06:05:24 AM
Buck X-Tract
The X-Tract first came out in the 2007 Buck Catalog. The first model was simply called the X-Tract. The three other models were to follow over the next couple of years.
 The X-Tract was imported from and manufactured in China. As with imports by Buck the quality standard must be met due to Bucks lifetime warranty.
Some of the highlights of the X-Tract are that all implements are one hand opening, and locking.
The screwdrivers are deployed by sliding horizontally out either end of the tool and locking in place.
The pliers are also deployed by sliding out one end of the tool, and locking into position.
The X-Tract has a large liner locking knife blade that is a plus on this tool.
By 2013 the X-Tract was discontinued from the catalog.
The implements vary by tool, so each tool described below will have a list of tools it contains.

X-Tract  Model# 730
Main knife blade: 3” Drop Point, partially serrated, 420HC Steel
Length: 4 3/8” (11.1cm)
Weight: 6.2oz (172.9g)
Handle: Steel with EPT sides
Tools: Spring loaded needle nose pliers, wire cutters (up to 12 gauge), #2 Phillips screwdriver, slotted screwdriver, can/bottle opener, metal lanyard loop,
Sheath: Heavy duty nylon
Colors: Camo, Black, Blue, Red, Platinum

X-Tract LED Model# 731
5mm LED flashlight with auto shut off after 3 minutes
Main knife blade: 3” Drop Point, partially serrated, 420HC Steel
Weight: 6.4oz (182.4g)
Handle: Rubber coated thermoplastic sides steel frame
Tools: Spring loaded needle nose pliers, wire cutters (up to 12 gauge), #2 Phillips screwdriver, slotted screwdriver, can/bottle opener, metal lanyard loop
Two  3 volt CR1616  batteries
Sheath: Heavy duty nylon
Colors:  Black, Platinum

X-Tract Fin  Model# 732
Non slip grip spring loaded scissors
Main knife blade: 3” Drop Point, 420HC Steel
Weight: 6oz (170.1g)
Handle: Rubber coated EPT, steel frame
Tools: Spring loaded needle nose pliers, wire cutters (up to 12 gauge), #2 Phillips screwdriver, slotted screwdriver, metal lanyard loop,
Sheath: Heavy duty nylon with attached blade and hook sharpener
Colors: Black, Blue, Platinum

X-Tract Essential  Model# 735
Streamlined version of the 730
Large spring loaded scissors
Main knife blade: 3” Drop Point, 420HC Steel
Weight: 4.5oz (127.6g) .075” thick
Handle: Steel frame with EPT sides
Tools: Large spring loaded scissors, #2 Phillips screwdriver, slotted screwdriver, metal lanyard loop,
Stainless steel pocket clip
Colors: Black, Blue, Platinum

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Re: X-Tract Multitool by Buck Knives
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 06:43:01 AM
Nice write up :tu: I got the Blue 735 and it is one of my favorite knives because of the unique design  I really do wonder why they discontinued the line? Glad I got one. Ebay still has a few.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 01:09:05 PM
Fantastic overview Longbow. :salute:

I still remember the first time I got to handle one of these and being very surprised by just how well built it felt. 

Oh, and Leatherman OHT? "...the first ever, 100% one-hand-operable multi-tool..."  I don't think so. >:(
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 01:42:14 PM
Nice overview.  :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 03:24:27 PM
They are good tools for someone who doesn't need particularly heavy duty pliers. I prefer the plain edged blades on the Essential and Fin, and prefer the Fin's scissors. It's a shame the Fin didn't have the pocket clip from the Essential though

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 05:19:49 PM
They are good tools for someone who doesn't need particularly heavy duty pliers. I prefer the plain edged blades on the Essential and Fin, and prefer the Fin's scissors. It's a shame the Fin didn't have the pocket clip from the Essential though
I haven't tried the fin model but the essential's scissors do look better than they actually are.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 06:29:13 AM
Thanks for the comment every one. Hope some day this information will be helpful to some one.

ca Offline ctstannard

Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 07:56:27 PM
If anyone is looking to nab one of the blue ones before they are gone for good there is a Canadian knife chain called 'house of knives' that has them on clearance for a decent Canadian price.

http://www.houseofknives.ca/Buck-X-Tract-Multitool-Blue-LED
Leatherman:
Charge TTI, Wave, Kick, Skeletool, Style, Brewster, Juice C2, PST II

Victorinox:
Sport, Driver, Tinker, Traveler Lite, Cybertool Lite, Swisschamp, XAVT

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 11:24:33 PM
Good post Longbow.

I have a couple of these Bucks.

I was dismayed to discover they were manufactured in China.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 05:43:29 AM
I have the 731 model.  It does seem well built, with the exception of the pliers.  Well, I shouldn't say they're not well built, but they don't seem to be designed to handle much work, although they probably weren't intended for much more than grabbing something or holding a hot item or whatever.  I wouldn't have minded the one with scissors, but I had both on my wish list last Christmas, and my wife picked this one because of the light.  The light is very bright though, which is nice.  Overall, it's a good knife and concept :tu:  It doesn't really fit in with my carry lineup though, and doesn't get carried for the most part.  It will likely get carried on Saturdays during November though, while helping out with my father's wreathing business since I like to have a OHO knife and a light.

Great writeup by the way :salute: :)
K-Tibbs

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 02:18:34 AM
Thanks every one.
I carried the 730 Camo when these first cam out, but used the knife more than anything.
The fact that it was manufactured in China suggests Buck was trying to keep the price low, the quality on mine was good as usual for Buck imports.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 03:22:04 AM
Way before the forum, I was looking to get one of these. Except they were hard to find.

And a review here said dedicated plier based works better.

So I bought a leatherman....

And the saga began....

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 08:44:49 PM
I was looking for this thread. Glad to have found it again. Despite being made in China, this is a really good tool. Thanks for putting this list together. :cheers:

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 12:01:39 AM
Got this for $20 on eBay.

I am pleasantly surprised.  What an awesome tool.  Everything one handed opening and locking. The scissors seem a bit thin but are sharp and cut well.  The blade is a total beast.  Really digging this tool.  A cool, unique design that feels great in the hand.  Chinese made, but feels very durable and everything is well formed.

My only complaint is that I hate bead blast finishes.  Edit: the wire cutters aren't great...but come one what can you expect from pliers sliding out of what is basically a folding knife.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 01:34:56 AM by NetsNJ »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 12:21:41 AM
Nice to hear someone else appreciates the X-Tract Fin  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 12:24:29 AM
I have not got the chance to try one yet, but they look like they are very nice.

That's us mobile.
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 12:25:13 AM
Nice one.  I like the knife/pliers/scissors combo :tu:

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 01:42:30 AM

The tools pairs nicely with a bit kit!

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 02:13:33 AM
Got this for $20 on eBay.

(Image removed from quote.)

I am pleasantly surprised.  What an awesome tool.  Everything one handed opening and locking. The scissors seem a bit thin but are sharp and cut well.  The blade is a total beast.  Really digging this tool.  A cool, unique design that feels great in the hand.  Chinese made, but feels very durable and everything is well formed.

My only complaint is that I hate bead blast finishes.  Edit: the wire cutters aren't great...but come one what can you expect from pliers sliding out of what is basically a folding knife.

I got that exact one in the mail today  :mail: I feel the same way about the bead blast finish. I have a 735 that is polished so I was surprised to find out this one was not. I also remember this is a fishing tool (that's how they marketed it), so maybe it helps fight rust  ???

I really like the sheath. No velcro and fits the tool snug. What do you think of the pliers?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:18:24 AM by Demel »

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 02:13:48 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

The tools pairs nicely with a bit kit!

What bit kit is that?

Nice to hear someone else appreciates the X-Tract Fin  :tu:

I got thought it would be much fatter than the 735 considering it has pliers, but I found that 1) it's not and 2) it's actually more comfortable than the 735. The edges are much smoother. The liner locks on the other one are much sharper.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:16:56 AM by Demel »

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 02:24:34 AM
The pliers seem to be OK.  I haven't really tried them out, but the cutters seem pretty bad.  The lineup on the plier tips is not great.  But they seem decently strong for their size.  What do you think?

The bit kit is just some cheap thing that came with a Ganzo multitool or whatnot.  Seems to work pretty nicely with anything that has a 2d #2-ish Phillips head. 

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #21 on: October 14, 2015, 02:31:22 AM
I owned one years ago and was quite impressed but the tool was just a little bulky to actually carry.
SAW

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: October 14, 2015, 02:40:36 AM
The pliers seem to be OK.  I haven't really tried them out, but the cutters seem pretty bad.  The lineup on the plier tips is not great.  But they seem decently strong for their size.  What do you think?

I will use them tomorrow to get a full perspective on it, but the spring seems stiff like the tool has been siting in storage for a few years. I will put some oil in the joints to smooth things out. they seem on par with zilla tool pliers and vic 91mm pliers.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 14, 2015, 04:43:56 PM
Used the pliers today and my thoughts so far: The cutters do suck.  :rofl: no really I wouldn't use them on anything larger than shoe strings (very very very small shoe strings). I still would rank them in the class of vics 91mm pliers. Good if you need to grab something that your fingers just won't do.

The scissors however are FANTASTIC! They cut through zip ties like butter. Much better than the 735's. Overall this is a nice tool. Glad to have it in my rotation.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 04:45:18 PM by Demel »

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: October 15, 2015, 08:05:32 PM
I found one w/the pliers on Ebay for cheap. Work getting?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 15, 2015, 09:33:27 PM
I found one w/the pliers on Ebay for cheap. Work getting?
Edit: which one specifically?

Yes. For 20-25 dollars it's a great tool.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:02:21 PM by Demel »

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: October 15, 2015, 10:43:31 PM
It's like the one NJNets got..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: October 15, 2015, 11:44:29 PM
That would be the one to get. They have a few colors. Hope you enjoy it.  :cheers:

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #28 on: November 04, 2015, 12:18:28 PM
I´v seen them here to available on sites  for around 20 € and I´m  curious about it. But the seller is from china is there a counterfeit known ?
Not saying everything from china is counterfeits.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #29 on: November 07, 2015, 11:56:23 AM
Nice write up on the Xtract.  I have to say that it hasn't been one of my favorite tools, but it did grow on me, at least a little bit.

What amuses me is Leatherman's claim of having the only fully one handed tool on the market.   Guess they forgot about this one when the marketers started writing their releases!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%