Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Simplest outdoor eating- Thermos!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Simplest outdoor eating- Thermos!
on: August 22, 2015, 03:40:47 PM
Everyone sing with me...

"Oh I'm picking out a Thermos for you,
Not an ordinary Thermos will doooo.... "

No?  Well at least Steve Martin will sing with me, and he's still in the bath!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MaGBPI5v8k

Now there's a friend, even if he can be a Jerk....

Getting back to topic, I work out of my truck and run from job site to job site all day and almost always just grab lunch at a restaurant (usually drive thru fast food) which is not too helpful for my weight or my wallet.  So, I decided to get a Thermos to start bringing food to work with me, which I'm hoping will be cheaper and healthier in the long run.

I decided on this one:

It holds 16oz (470g) worth of whatever and claims to stay warm for 7 hours or cold for 9, but I doubt whatever is in there will really be in there for more than 4-5 hours.  if it is, I probably won't be eating it as it means I have answered the call of Ronald McDonald.... again.   :facepalm:

This one comes with not only a teeny bowl to eat out of but also a spoon that you can use to eat things out the the afore mentioned bowl.  Not too shabby for only $30.

I don't know how well the tri-folding spoon will last but I will have an Eat'n Tool handy, just in case, as I always do.  Of course, as good as this Thermos is, there is one way to make any Thermos (or in fact any item at all!) better and that is to add a very important feature to it.

There, now it's perfect!

Let's see those Thermoses (Thermii?   :think:) people!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Simplest outdoor eating- Thermos!
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 03:55:27 AM
I've got a very standard stainless vacuum flask that has kept me caffeinated for many years.  I actually might have a food style one kicking around the house somewhere. :think:  Need to go check now.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 04:09:10 AM
I'm not a fan of hot beverages so I never really required one for that.  I have had a few wide mouth food oriented ones in the past though.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 04:41:50 AM
I have a few of those tri-fold spoons...branded and unbranded - Amazon

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 08:03:45 AM
I was thinking ( scary thought I know ) is it possible to use a pocket rocket type stove to heat liquid based foods.  It would only take moments to heat and the stoves plus fuel are reasonably small and knock off stoves are less than $10 US.  The fuel is not terribly expensive but this way you are guaranteed a hot meal
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 09:51:07 AM
I've got a very standard stainless vacuum flask that has kept me caffeinated for many years. I actually might have a food style one kicking around the house somewhere. :think:  Need to go check now.

Checked with my wife this morning and it seems we might have gotten rid of it due to the fact neither one of us used it. :whistle:

I am now, obviously, looking at a replacement.  Cheers Grant. ::)
http://direct.asda.com/george/george-home/thermos-thermocafe-barrel-food-flask/001433958,default,pd.html

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 10:57:49 AM
Never owned a wide neck food version, but I have got the big old fashioned plastic version for hot drinks with side handle, two cups, and sugar pot in the stopper  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 11:17:27 AM
I was thinking ( scary thought I know ) is it possible to use a pocket rocket type stove to heat liquid based foods.  It would only take moments to heat and the stoves plus fuel are reasonably small and knock off stoves are less than $10 US.  The fuel is not terribly expensive but this way you are guaranteed a hot meal

For the longest time I have had a small stove (Optima 123) in the back of the Jeep and a few Mountain House freeze dried meals but I have yet to actually eat any of them for lunch on or between jobs, often due to the weather or time issues.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 11:18:41 AM
I've got a very standard stainless vacuum flask that has kept me caffeinated for many years. I actually might have a food style one kicking around the house somewhere. :think:  Need to go check now.

Checked with my wife this morning and it seems we might have gotten rid of it due to the fact neither one of us used it. :whistle:

http://direct.asda.com/george/george-home/thermos-thermocafe-barrel-food-flask/001433958,default,pd.html

I think you meant to say neither of you used it YET.   Obviously you need to replace it before you need it....

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 11:19:32 AM
Never owned a wide neck food version, but I have got the big old fashioned plastic version for hot drinks with side handle, two cups, and sugar pot in the stopper  :D

Got one like that for my parents last year.   They love it.

Def

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 11:27:56 AM
I have the drinks version which keeps my jasmine tea warm for most of the morning
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 08:08:27 PM

I think you meant to say neither of you used it YET.   Obviously you need to replace it before you need it....

Def

I suspect it fell foul of the "great house clearance" for our move last year.  Yes, I suspect I will however be getting another one to sit on a shelf for a few more years. :D

no Offline Grathr

Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 08:32:24 PM
I have a stanley food thermos wich is great.
I usually use it to make hot dogs on short day trips with my son in the summer, when fire making in the woods is illegal.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 09:12:41 PM
The newer Stanly thermos work but not as good as the older ones. Check out these two older Stanly thermos I bought at the flea market for 5.00 each. Both were clean and well kept. If you pre heat and fill them at 6 am the coffee in the metal cups will still your hands at 10 pm. They weigh a lot more than the newer ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 09:56:18 PM
I guess they're glass interiors?

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 01:46:14 AM
I guess they're glass interiors?

They have unbreakable stainless steel liners these were made in the early 1960s they made them a lot better back then. Back when I was working construction we carried a small microwave that was given to us. We kept a 100' cord with it so if we were with in a 100' of a plug we could warn our lunch. We found plugs at stores, gas stations as well as job sites. Our back up a back up was a DIY Plumbers Backpacking Stove and a Boy Scout cook kit. Google it.
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 09:09:22 AM
Wow, nice. :tu:  I have to say I rather thought of the steel liners as being far more modern than the '60s. 

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 03:49:48 PM
I've been using this one for the last 15 years.

Almost indestructible.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 06:00:28 PM
Great thread Boss!!

This reminds me of the good old days back in elementary school when I would take my lunch in a thermos. I absolutely loved it! There's nothing better than eating soup, ravioli, spaghetti or what have you out of a decent thermos.  :drool: :drool: :drool:

:cheers:
SAW

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 10:12:15 PM

Ended up buying this Thermos.  Tried it out a couple of times and it works well.  Good for having a hot lunch at the range. :tu:

ca Offline ba-ta

Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 06:32:35 AM
So Grant,  have you had a chance to use your thermos yet.  I was wondering how you liked it.  We just picked up one for our kid when he goes to school in the fall.  I am curious as how long it will actually keep things hot.
If it's stupid and it works..... 
It ain't stupid.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 09:35:36 AM
Most quality vacuum flasks like Thermos should food and drink warm enough to last until lunchtime at least.  For example I was still drinking coffee at 3pm that I'd made at 6:30am.  It wasn't "hot" by that point but nor was it stone cold.

A good tip to try if you are having any worries about food being kept warm is to pre-heat the flask.  In other words fill the flask with boiling water for 5 minutes before you use it.  That way heat from your food (or whatever) won't be stolen to warm the internal wall of the flask. :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 12:30:08 AM
So Grant,  have you had a chance to use your thermos yet.  I was wondering how you liked it.  We just picked up one for our kid when he goes to school in the fall.  I am curious as how long it will actually keep things hot.

I actually have not had an opportunity to test it yet.

Gareth is right about pre warming the thermos before using it though.  That really makes a difference.

Def

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 12:58:49 AM
This thread needs more food pics  :pok:

ca Offline ba-ta

Reply #24 on: September 01, 2015, 06:41:39 AM

Gareth is right about pre warming the thermos before using it though.  That really makes a difference.

Def
I agree with you both about the importance of pre warming.   Do it every time I use my Stanley thermos or my coffee mugs.  Just was curious how good your particular model was if you had tried it out. I want to test my kids thermos but he won't let me near it
If it's stupid and it works..... 
It ain't stupid.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 11:49:28 AM
This thread needs more food pics  :pok:

He who smelt it dealt it!  Care to start off the food pics?  :P

Def
I agree with you both about the importance of pre warming.   Do it every time I use my Stanley thermos or my coffee mugs.  Just was curious how good your particular model was if you had tried it out. I want to test my kids thermos but he won't let me near it

I'll be sure to let you know.  In fact I think I'm going to give it a shot today.

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 12:05:47 PM
Great thread Boss!!

This reminds me of the good old days back in elementary school when I would take my lunch in a thermos. I absolutely loved it! There's nothing better than eating soup, ravioli, spaghetti or what have you out of a decent thermos.  :drool: :drool: :drool:

:cheers:

+1!

I even had steak (previously cut in small pieces) with gravy and rice or mashed potatoes. Or meatloaf...

:drool: :drool:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: September 02, 2015, 11:25:55 AM
Typical Def move,  I heated a can of chili around 7am yesterday, pre warmed the Thermos and poured the chili in.  Then forgot it when I left.   :facepalm:

The good news is that the chili want hot when I got home around 5pm, but it was still warm enough to eat.

The only drawback I really found with it was that the mouth wasn't as wide as I would have liked when pouring the chili in.   Otherwise the thermos performed perfectly.

Def

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #28 on: September 02, 2015, 05:36:58 PM
I had all Stanley's stuff, the food one, a smaller drink one and even the lunchbox, I also had the limited stainless steel one and a black lunchbox. I had a pic but I can't find it, and I also gave most away.. :(
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: September 02, 2015, 08:18:52 PM
Typical Def move,  I heated a can of chili around 7am yesterday, pre warmed the Thermos and poured the chili in. Then forgot it when I left.   :facepalm:

The good news is that the chili want hot when I got home around 5pm, but it was still warm enough to eat.

The only drawback I really found with it was that the mouth wasn't as wide as I would have liked when pouring the chili in.   Otherwise the thermos performed perfectly.

Def

Damn I hate when I do that.  I made a wonderful lunch and when it was time to eat, it dawned on me that it was sitting on the counter at home  :twak:

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD