Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help,I Can't Stop Buying.....................

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Help,I Can't Stop Buying.....................
on: August 22, 2015, 09:23:01 PM
...................Surefire Flashlights.

Trying to explain the mystique of Surefire lights is similar to attempting to explain the lure of Alox to a non-knife/SAK person.

Every time I find a Surefire on sale I can't help my self.I found an A2 LED Aviator NIB on sale for $115.00 and this week I found a U2 Ultra NIB for $105.00.This is analogous to finding an Old Cross red Pioneer NIB.

Here are the two lights I received this week.

The first pic shows the two generations of Aviators and the emitters in the second pic.

The third pic shows the first and second generation of the most innovative light of its generation the Ultra and its emitters in the fourth.

DSCN2290.JPG
* DSCN2290.JPG (Filesize: 184.38 KB)
DSCN2291.JPG
* DSCN2291.JPG (Filesize: 203.38 KB)
DSCN2288.JPG
* DSCN2288.JPG (Filesize: 187.85 KB)
DSCN2289.JPG
* DSCN2289.JPG (Filesize: 200.4 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Help,I Can't Stop Buying.....................
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 09:31:53 PM
As long as you're not going broke or hungry then why not buy things the please you (or am I not helping?).  I've only got the one Surefire and only 4 Alox SAKs but I do get your analogy. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 09:47:02 PM
As long as you're not going broke or hungry then why not buy things the please you (or am I not helping?).  I've only got the one Surefire and only 4 Alox SAKs but I do get your analogy. :tu:

I could go broke if the stock market crashes.As far as hungry,well if you knew what I had for breakfast you would understand that's not happening.LOL.

What is perplexing about these purchases is the retail price of these lights versus the sale price.The Aviator retails at $305.00 and the U2 for $299.00.

I'm always suspicious about a price that seems unrealistic,so I perform as much investigation as necessary to satisfy my cynical nature.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 09:55:24 PM
I think the SAKs have more potential to hold (and even increase) in value over time as a collectible. Items where technology are continuously improving like LED flashlights, not so much.

But yeah. Like Gareth said, if this is for fun and you have the disposable income, why not? And collecting isn't just about inquiring, but also learning. Maybe spend more time doing that if you feel like you are buying too fast?

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 10:16:07 PM
I think the SAKs have more potential to hold (and even increase) in value over time as a collectible. Items where technology are continuously improving like LED flashlights, not so much.

But yeah. Like Gareth said, if this is for fun and you have the disposable income, why not? And collecting isn't just about inquiring, but also learning. Maybe spend more time doing that if you feel like you are buying too fast?

I think you may have misunderstood my posts.

I realize this is the internet and you can't see my facial expression or hear the inflection of my voice,so let me state this here.The subject line in my first post was meant to be humorous,I'm sorry if it seemed as though I was seeking psychological help on the internet.I can assure you this wasn't my intent.This is just my way of interjecting some humor into the post.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 11:49:23 PM
There are just some things that must be bought when on sale  :D.  Are you putting these lights to use?  I carry 2 lights on me so I'd imagine you have a couple at least on you at all times. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 12:02:27 AM
There are just some things that must be bought when on sale  :D.  Are you putting these lights to use?  I carry 2 lights on me so I'd imagine you have a couple at least on you at all times.

The original Aviator was my go to light for several years.This new Aviator I bought,just to own it.The U2 Ultra is a fascinating light and I'm going to mod one of the two that I have.I'm just not sure just which one will  be the benefactor of the modification.A member of another forum has made some interesting mods to the Surefire U2 and I'll seek his help in modding one of these.

I have at least one or more lights at all times.Just like I have at least one but more often two knives,in my possession at all times.

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 03:16:01 AM
I have a couple extra if you to buy a few more :pok: hehe
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%