Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Just bought my first Spyderco!

Offline mikekoz

Just bought my first Spyderco!
on: August 22, 2015, 09:44:10 PM
  Here it is!

upload picture

My wife and I were out and about and we came across this place called Gunrunners in Raleigh. I had never been there, and most gun places sell knives, so in we went! They had a decent selection of Benchmades, CRKT's, and a few others. Then I saw about 8 models of Spyderco's. Most stores do not stock them around here and I was surprised to see them. Most were the type with the cheap looking plastic handles which I do not care for, but they had two with G10 handles. The Tenacious and the Paramilitary 2. The Paramilitary was out of my budget range, but the Tenacious was about $47.00. Sold! I probably started at the bottom end of Spyderco's line, but I am impressed by the quality of this knife. It seems to be up  there with Kershaw's Chinese models, which I also find to be nice knives. 

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: Just bought my first Spyderco!
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 10:18:24 PM
Congrats!!!!!! I have a green one of those and like it very much!!!!!!!  :cheers:

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 10:29:04 PM
Congrats. I have the exact same configuration and after a lot of dumb use it is still in great condition. Be mindful of the screws if you're gonna take it apart as they at least were really soft on the uncoated version.

Oh and it will do quite a number on a boar which is nice
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 10:30:55 PM by styx »
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 10:33:07 PM
buckle up.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 11:43:27 PM
That is a lot of bang for the buck.  I have one also in the exact configuration as well and those Spyderco serrations have spoiled me.  I now own a Native fully serrated and a Delica also fully serrated as a result. 

Great gate way Spydie  :D
Esse Quam Videri

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 06:14:22 AM
Soon you'll want more! :D I've had it's smallest bro, the Ambitious, for a few months now and I've been :drooling: and pondering over buying another Spyderco since after about a week later, lol.

hr Offline styx

Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 11:41:29 AM
Soon you'll want more! :D I've had it's smallest bro, the Ambitious, for a few months now and I've been :drooling: and pondering over buying another Spyderco since after about a week later, lol.

And it can get to the point where the interesting Spyderco models outweigh the interesting models made by any other company at least 3 to 1

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 01:47:53 PM
Congrats!

I've a Persistance,with which I'm very impressed. But(and I can feel the hate already) the entry level ones are so good,I'm not sure I get the need for the ones with Unobtanium blades and so forth :think:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 02:24:34 PM
Congrats!

I've a Persistance,with which I'm very impressed. But(and I can feel the hate already) the entry level ones are so good,I'm not sure I get the need for the ones with Unobtanium blades and so forth :think:

:ahhh  :P

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 04:09:08 PM
Congrats!

I feel the same about Byrd knives  :tu: I own 2x Byrd Tern, 1x Wings Slipit, and one S30V UKPK in G10 (the first version). I'm keeping the Byrds, offloading the Spydie, and doubt I'll get another.

Unfortunately the old adage "you get what you pay for" doesn't seem to apply here. The UKPK retailed at 4x the price of the Tern, but I don't see that you get 4x anything significant in return :shrug: Maybe if I was using the knife all day every day, there might be some advantage, but as a general utility pocket knife, the Byrd knives give me far better value for money

EDIT: Mike, none of my comments are intended to take anything away from your happiness with you new blade  :cheers: I'm pleased to hear you're happy with it, and I hope that continues and grows as time goes by  :tu:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 04:55:26 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline styx

Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 06:04:25 PM
I think the explanation of Spyderco knives cost an arm and a leg in Europe is enough ;)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 06:12:43 PM
So do lots of things, but some of them feel more like they give value for money than others  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 06:31:13 PM
Congrats!

Mm... got my first Tenacious in 8Cr13MOV
Two weeks later sold my Surge and MP400 and got a Para2 in CPM S30V
Two weeks later sold my Spirit and my SuperTool and got a Dragonfly2 in ZDP189

The Tenacious was a gateway drug to the better toys...

It's sharp, cool and ergonomic... but you know it can be so much more sharp, cool and ergonomic (and yes the "Made in China" tagline ruins the whole experience)... I wish they wouldn't put that on the blade - "Here's my very sharp, very nice, tacticool G10 folding original tactical for which I paid 10 times more than your Smith and Wessson..." - Made in China as well
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 08:28:34 PM
Congrats on your first Spyderco.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline willc

Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 01:51:24 AM
Enjoy your Tenacious, the plain edge version was my very first Spyderco too.
Now I have 30 or so and that isn't counting the Byrd line.
They are great bang for buck knives.

Even though these are cheap compared to most Spydies they are very capable.
13Cr is a good steel that is a pleasure to sharpen compared to CPM steels of higher end models.
You may want to think about getting a Sharpmaker to maintain your edge.
Since it is partially serrated a a flat stone is not the best option.

Good luck and have fun with it.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 10:35:01 PM

My wife and I were out and about and we came across this place called Gunrunners in Raleigh. I had never been there, and most gun places sell knives, so in we went! They had a decent selection of Benchmades, CRKT's, and a few others. Then I saw about 8 models of Spyderco's. Most stores do not stock them around here and I was surprised to see them. Most were the type with the cheap looking plastic handles which I do not care for, but they had two with G10 handles. The Tenacious and the Paramilitary 2. The Paramilitary was out of my budget range, but the Tenacious was about $47.00. Sold! I probably started at the bottom end of Spyderco's line, but I am impressed by the quality of this knife. It seems to be up  there with Kershaw's Chinese models, which I also find to be nice knives.

Check out the flea market on Saturday at the Fairgrounds; there used to be a couple individuals that would set up and who would have interesting items.  I've not been to it in a couple years, though, so that might've changed. :)  Also, the Tenacious is an excellent knife, very good choice. :cheers:

Offline aL_Sorna

• New User
Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 05:50:16 AM
mikekoz, congrats on your first Spyderco, I am sure you'll enjoy your Tenacious   8)

You're lucky, that costs about $US70 from where I am. I started with a Tenacious, then got the Ambitious and was able to find a slightly used Persistence from a local buy and sell site. I am waiting for my PM2, it should arrive today. All in all, those 4 knives have cost me about $US390. I am currently in Southeast Asia.

I had to sell a couple of my leatherman  :ahhh

Will see when the PM2 arrives (I haven't held/seen one in person), I might re-sell the other 3 and just stick to one  because I have a feeling that if I kept all these, the buying spree will never stop, and I might end up selling my car!

The Tenacious is a great, all around knife. It should be more than enough for most. But then, hanging around MTO (although I rarely post), going through threads with photos.. The temptation... is just... too much  :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%